MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Pronghorn Boots

VikingsGuy

Ok - so I have kangaroo skin upland boots for South Dakota pheasant - super light and comfy; Keen-style hiking boots for hiking, camping and grouse hunting in the MN woods, super comfy but not rigid enough to go west; Winter boots for deer-stand and snowshoeing. But what do I need for pronghorn? Will upland boots be tough enough (especially the soles)? Do I really need the rigid Kenetrek-style Mountain/elk boots for broken up sage prairie? Other options? Preferred brands/models?

Either of the first two would be excellent. This is not hard walking. You can over think this, but that is half the fun, of course.

As a postscript, if the Keens have nylon uppers, you might like the all leather boot better in the event you find yourself in some prickly pear. But you both would be very good or better for antelope.

Its really not rough terrain. You might get some lava rock here and there and most of the foliage has some sort of pokies on it. I have used nylon uppers and all leather, both are fine. You just want something tall enough to keep from flipping sand over the top when you're walking.

Your fine with the first two...I like light weight hikers from good book makers, Crispi, Zamberlan, meindl, lowa ....your keens are fine.

I did a guided hunt for my first goat hunt. I obssessed about boots (and guns and bino's). Our guide wore a pair of low Keen-type hikers. Next trip I'm leaving the Meindls at home and wearing my high Keens.

Don't overthink it. Many people hunt pronghorn in trail runners. I like a lightweight mid top hiker (Oboz Scapegoat I think), mainly to keep the sage and sticks out of my boots. You certainly don't need the super stiff mountain boots, but if they fit well and they're broken in they will work just fine.

It really depends on where you are hunting and the time of year. I've hunted NV antelope in early August when it was 100+ degrees. The lava rocks tore my feet to shreds. In that case a medium weight hiker with a rigid sole to protect my feet from the sharp rock. It also helped having a breathable boot when it was so hot. In Wyo there are usually prickly pear everywhere. All the boots I wear in Wyo have tough outers to protect against prickly pear. In fact, in some cases I often wear elbow and knee pads. I usually have several pairs of boots to choose from. The only time I would wear tall, stiff boots similar to Lowa Tibets is if there is deep snow. If you have room you may want to bring a selection on your first trip and see which works best for the time of year and work best for your particular style of hunting.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will be fine with what you use in MN, I have been on all my WY hunts.

As a postscript, if the Keens have nylon uppers, you might like the all leather boot better in the event you find yourself in some prickly pear. But you both would be very good or better for antelope.
IME, this! I've hunted/worked in pronghorn country a time are three with nylon uppers and ended up with cactus spines in my feet. All leather for me.

You'll likely be fine with upland leather boots. I used some Danner Vitals and thought they were great.... other than getting soaked day 1 in wet snow. I ended up killing on day 2 in pull on leather work boots that were dry!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back