Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Place to stay on POW?

cmoore83

Hey guys, I drew pow black bear for the spring of 2019, those of you that have hunted on this island, where did you stay? Do any of you have any suggestions as to a lodge or cabin rental to look at? I’ve looked at many of the google search results for the island but was wondering if anyone has stayed at a place that didn’t have a website that they have stayed at and wouldn’t mind giving a referral about? Thanks!

http://fishorhunt.com

I stayed there with some guys from this site. I would again in a second as they were everything as advertised. Cannot say enough good things.
Another option might be looking into Airbnb. I use them all over the world and usually do quite well for less money. But you would need to rent a vehicle.

I am Curious about this also. Looks like i'll be heading up Solo next spring. Was thinking about possibly just renting a vehicle and camping out, but I know SE Alaska weather can be pretty wet, I lived in Ketchikan for a couple of years. Im sure it would be nice to be able to dry out in a cabin at night, and do a bit of fishing in a boat from the Lodge. Any other advice on good or bad experiences on POW Island would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Take a look at POW chamber of commerce website online several places in there. We stayed with Don Busey on several occasions they are great folks and have a nice place in klawock. Can't remember the name of thier cabins.

Found it trophy inn at klawock

Last edited:
There are plenty of lodgings to choose from. You don't have to stay in the bigger towns of Craig, Klawock or Thorne Bay. You can find rentals in the more remote towns on the north end also.

Some offer vehicles & boats .. others just cabins or rooms. Auto & boat rentals are available separately.

There are many different ways to plan your hunt.

I've never been there, but my tentative plan next spring is to just camp in the back of the SUV I'm renting (I'll be solo also). I plan on hunting off the road system.

I'll probably go into one of the towns once or twice for a shower and a bed.

This might not be the case at all, but I would imagine the areas near the bigger towns with lodging to be hunted a little harder.

Good luck!

I've never been there, but my tentative plan next spring is to just camp in the back of the SUV I'm renting (I'll be solo also). I plan on hunting off the road system.

I'll probably go into one of the towns once or twice for a shower and a bed.

This might not be the case at all, but I would imagine the areas near the bigger towns with lodging to be hunted a little harder.

Good luck!

I've been there twice. Once on a bear hunt and once for fishing. I have stayed at a guys home in Coffman Cove. He has recently added three cabins that are very nice (I have seen them last summer). Everything that you need for a stay. I will say that these people are the "nicest people that you will ever meet". He was (or maybe currently) a Realtree Prostaff member. Originally from Wyoming and a true hunter. (NOTE: he doesn't hunt bear). I would contact these people. I cannot say enough good things about these people.

https://www.facebook.com/whalepointcabin/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Vacatio...ffman_Cove_Prince_of_Wales_Island_Alaska.html

Just some other notes: Rent the vehicle on POW (not Ketchican). Hollis adventure or Rainforest rentals (DO NOT rent from Wesley!!!!!!!!!!!). Be UP-FRONT with the rental guys that you will be BEAR HUNTING. They have some doubts because of previous experiences from bear hunters. Tell them that you will put down an extra deposit to make sure that the vehicle comes back spotless and not covered in bear hair. NOTE: call and rent NOW, NOW, NOW as these vehicles are limited and can be gone way in advance.

Two options to get there. The ferry is slow and fun and cheap, however, limited departure times. There is air service many times a day from Ketch. Island air and I took it last time. Land in Ketch and fly to POW in a short time... no delays. Round trip cost to Klowack about $260.00. NOTE: if you fly the luggage weight may add up as compared to the ferry.

Last, we road hunted and took a very nice bear, however that was the only bear that we saw. I would suggest that you find a boat to rent if hunting the shorelines. There are some boats to rent in Coffman Cove, however, I am not sure of size. If you get in touch with Whalepoint Cabins and eventually talk to Steve, he will point you in the right direction. Tell him Doc Marty sent you. Anymore questions feel free to ask or PM me.

One last item, Steve and his great wife LOVE to fish if you are interested. Salmon (probably too early) and Halibut :)

Good luck and it's a great place and adventure :) :)

good luck to all
the dog

Last edited:

Well ... since the draw went into affect and with not that many tags ... with over 2000 sq miles to hunt ... and good hunting from mid-April till mid-June ... there really isn't that much hunting pressure. Non-residents don't need to draw as well as guided hunters. Few residents hunt Black Bear (less than 10% of the kill in history) and there aren't many guides and they usually hunt more remote areas.

But the lands around Klawock & Craig (as well as Hydaburg) are Native Corp no-trespass lands.

pointingdogsrule does bring up a very good point in be upfront with your rental lodging & vehicles. Tell them you are Bear hunting. Some rentals do not cater to Bear hunters.

Thanks to ALL that responded, while I was researching places to stay, it was suggested to me to call a friend of a friend up there, all I was really wanting were suggestions from him, and what I got was a place to stay and the use of his boats and vehicles...he even said he might take me out fishing after I get my bear! I couldn’t agree more about how nice the people are up there! Once again thanks for all the great insight and suggestions!

Well ... since the draw went into affect and with not that many tags ... with over 2000 sq miles to hunt ... and good hunting from mid-April till mid-June ... there really isn't that much hunting pressure. Non-residents don't need to draw as well as guided hunters. Few residents hunt Black Bear (less than 10% of the kill in history) and there aren't many guides and they usually hunt more remote areas.

But the lands around Klawock & Craig (as well as Hydaburg) are Native Corp no-trespass lands.

pointingdogsrule does bring up a very good point in be upfront with your rental lodging & vehicles. Tell them you are Bear hunting. Some rentals do not cater to Bear hunters.

Thanks for the information! I've been in contact with one of the rental companies, and he does know my plans to hunt and camp out of the vehicle. As soon as I get the flight scheduled I'll make the reservations with him.

Just an update on my part, I decided to book a lodge with Eagle Lodge out of Whale Pass. Renting vehicles, boats, ferrys, booking with a smaller lodge or cabin; all that added up to be quite a bit more than the Eagle Lodge package, plus added alot more logistics... Just some info in-case anyone is still looking for somewhere to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back