Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Region 7 Montana

that's laughable. good deer, and a lot of them , are takin each fall in region 7 . If you cant find one during the rut in R7 then for god sakes quit hunting out of the pickup and put some effort in . There are lots and lots and lots of good bucks taken on public and block management every fall in R7 - Fact.

I hunt primarily in R7. I didn’t include the sarcasm font.

that's laughable. good deer, and a lot of them , are takin each fall in region 7 . If you cant find one during the rut in R7 then for god sakes quit hunting out of the pickup and put some effort in . There are lots and lots and lots of good bucks taken on public and block management every fall in R7 - Fact.

Relax bud.

I’d say “lots and lots and lots of good bucks” might be a stretch. There are some nice deer taken every year in region 7. What I call a good buck and what you call a good buck may be two different deer.

I love when a good buck is defined by a measurement of air and points you can "hang a ring on". all in fun....and piling on.... ;-)

Yes lots and lots maybe a stretch but theres some good deer . Ive seen 2 points that I regret not shooting, passed one last year that was thick and tall heck of a deer wish I would have taken him

There are decent deer in 7 but like stated a guys gotta get off the roads and put some boot miles on. A guy could put a thread up stating what is a good buck to you and the amount of answers would be unfathomable probably to say the least. To say there are a pile of good deer taken in 700 every year is a little far fetched to me but again, what is a good deer to some maybe different to others. I really like Schaafs body size comment, and if anyone on here knows what is in that country its probably him. (Sorry Schaaf);) Me personally I'm not a deer hunter for meat, I usually luck out and get a cow or my wife is lucky to connect on a elk so with that we don't need much more meat. Before I get too beat up though, if I do get a deer we do eat it in snack sticks and jerky! When I'm out though I am looking for a good old sway back, heavy horned, bruiser that live a hell of a life. I dont care if hes a giant four point or a non-typical freak or a narly two point if hes old and mature and looks like a warrior.......Click.........Booom. I just really respect a good old Muley Buck, they just dont get much better then that. (Except for UL SHEEP or GOATS):hump:

I think there are few bad areas to bunt deer in r7. Find the type of terrain you dream of hunting and go hunt. My opinion is the vast majority of mature bucks are in th 150-155 class, above that and you may put in some serious time to find. There are millions of acres of public land of which most holds deer. Don't over think it. You could probably literally throw a dart at the map and have a good hunt. I know for many nr this may be a big hunt but it's just not that hard to find a spot with deer.

I think there are few bad areas to bunt deer in r7. Find the type of terrain you dream of hunting and go hunt. My opinion is the vast majority of mature bucks are in th 150-155 class, above that and you may put in some serious time to find. There are millions of acres of public land of which most holds deer. Don't over think it. You could probably literally throw a dart at the map and have a good hunt. I know for many nr this may be a big hunt but it's just not that hard to find a spot with deer.

Couldn't agree more . Great post

Like previously mentioned, you could almost throw a dart at a map and get into some good hunting. There are some good bucks throughout the state, don't be afraid to go to other regions. Everyone focuses on region 7 because its the most talked about. There are quality bucks throughout montana. You can shoot a nice one by doing the road thing but I think many bucks get over looked because people are not out hiking in.

A good buck today is a totaly different animal than a good buck say 25 years ago. Teamhoyt is right. Today a 150+ is a good buck today,just not to me. In the 80's a 170+ was nearly as common as a 150 is today.

A good buck today is a totaly different animal than a good buck say 25 years ago. Teamhoyt is right. Today a 150+ is a good buck today,just not to me. In the 80's a 170+ was nearly as common as a 150 is today.

I agree with antlerradar on the above quote and most of his comments on MT region 7 issues. I was born and raised in region 7 and spend a considerable amount of time there still. Yes there are some dandy bucks to be found in that region, but it pales in comparison to what it was in the 80s and even 90s. Currently, the amount of access and the overall number of deer is what makes the region so attractive to many hunters, not the trophy potential.

Do you know why? Good genetics shot out? Habitat degradation? Overall fewer deer = fewer big bucks? Something else or a combination of factors?

150 looks good to me, but there is a big difference between a 150 and a 170 for sure..

I spent a week in the Broadus area this year and can honestly say I've never seen more deer on public land in my life. I also never put a round in the chamber the whole time. We saw one nice buck that was maybe 155-160, but other than that I don't think we saw a single 4x4. Everything else was an ear wide 3x3 or less. It was pretty incredible to see.

Now granted, I was with my dad who doesn't get around that great, we were there a little early for the rut, and it was my first time in the area so I was guessing on where to go. But for how many deer we glassed we should've been seeing way more nice bucks. I've also never seen more out of state license plates in one spot.

It's fun country to hunt, and you'll find lots of deer, just don't count on any of any age or size.

I spent a week in the Broadus area this year and can honestly say I've never seen more deer on public land in my life. I also never put a round in the chamber the whole time. We saw one nice buck that was maybe 155-160, but other than that I don't think we saw a single 4x4. Everything else was an ear wide 3x3 or less. It was pretty incredible to see.

Now granted, I was with my dad who doesn't get around that great, we were there a little early for the rut, and it was my first time in the area so I was guessing on where to go. But for how many deer we glassed we should've been seeing way more nice bucks. I've also never seen more out of state license plates in one spot.

It's fun country to hunt, and you'll find lots of deer, just don't count on any of any age or size.

You would have seen more 4 points during the rut don't u think ? I guess to me I would not judge an area as far as bucks go if I wasn't there at prime time . Where I hunt , I typically see between 12-15 different 4 points per day . On a slow day . But I always hunt the 10-25th or so of nov. one year we went last weekend of October , same spot , hunted same way and saw 3 4 points in 6 days . So to me timing has a lot to do with it . I wouldn't go if I couldn't go during the rut

You would have seen more 4 points during the rut don't u think ? I guess to me I would not judge an area as far as bucks go if I wasn't there at prime time . Where I hunt , I typically see between 12-15 different 4 points per day . On a slow day . But I always hunt the 10-25th or so of nov. one year we went last weekend of October , same spot , hunted same way and saw 3 4 points in 6 days . So to me timing has a lot to do with it . I wouldn't go if I couldn't go during the rut

I've hunted mule deer in various stages of the rut before, and know what to expect for deer and buck activity.

R7 does not have many "good" bucks at all, specially public land. "Lots" is laughable, even on the best private ranches. A mule deer doesn't even really fill out until he's 5 or so. Good luck finding lots of those anywhere in MT.

R7 does not have many "good" bucks at all, specially public land. "Lots" is laughable, even on the best private ranches. A mule deer doesn't even really fill out until he's 5 or so. Good luck finding lots of those anywhere in MT.

Maybe instead of good we should say mature in age . And I agree a buck isn't mature until 5ish . And I'd say your correct in that there ain't too many 5plus year old bucks around

I’ve seen an increasingly small number of bucks in R7 that I would call “mature” over the last 20 years of hunting out there. And before you say it, I know how to hunt, can hike, and can even access some pretty stellar private lands if I want to. The fact remains that the majority of the bucks in R7 are killed before they get to a mature age. A few years ago an R7 butcher said when the mule deer doe tags were eliminated, the floor of his shop was covered in young mule deer bucks from everyone who used their “A” tag to fill the freezer on a young mule deer buck instead of a doe as they had done in years past. Just one anecdotal story that helps tell the hows and whys of the current deer population.

It seems obvious to me that the FWP has no intent to manage for quality of deer in R7 but is instead focused on hunter opportunity. The opportunity at a deer is high in that region and public land and BMA access is quite good. If the OP is looking to get out and have a lot of fun and see some spectacular scenery with the opportunity to fill tags then R7 is as good of a place as any. I however don’t feel it’s fair to tell someone planning to travel to that region to hunt that there are “lots” of good or mature deer to be found. As others have stated, perhaps my definition of good or mature is different from the next persons.

ive hunted a lot in the most southern end of the unit. last season in 3 days I counted 111 bucks, one 30in wide buck with 20inches of mass,,,, only buck I gave a second glance at,,,for many people or kids, target rich environment,,, I don't believe I saw a 5yr old buck,,,,,

I've hunted mule deer in various stages of the rut before, and know what to expect for deer and buck activity.

I meant no disrespect, I'm sure your a very good hunter and know mule deer probably better than me . I just meant that it's hard to say the area has no mature deer when you were there before the mature deer would appear ( peak rut ) in my opinion . Thanks for the conversation.

ive hunted a lot in the most southern end of the unit. last season in 3 days I counted 111 bucks, one 30in wide buck with 20inches of mass,,,, only buck I gave a second glance at,,,for many people or kids, target rich environment,,, I don't believe I saw a 5yr old buck,,,,,

Was this 30" deer in public or private . That's a heck of a deer

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back