Caribou Gear Tarp

Region 7 Montana

XX1

Planning to hunt this November in region 7. Any suggestions on any good block management properties or good areas to hunt there. Thanks

Brown Ranch, east of Sand Springs. Not exactly on your own or public land. You pay for access to the property and a bed to sleep in. You will not get help finding deer but if you can glass you will find deer. Not a bad back up plan if public land doesn’t pan out.

Yep you could pay a few grand for accessing their place and most likely shoot something on the BLM that they don’t let anyone else on.

Scaff, hows the winter up that way? Are you getting the snow that Antlerradar is having down by Ashland?

Yep you could pay a few grand for accessing their place and most likely shoot something on the BLM that they don’t let anyone else on.

I paid a lot less than that and had a great time. That was years ago. I suspect a local, like yourself, has a much better perspective than I do all this time later. I do know that there are BLM tracts within the ranch that you can access from public right of way but you better be sure of the boundaries, cuz they are. Good luck XX1, wherever you go.

Region 7 is huge , and has tons of blm and block management . Get onxmap if you don't already and you will be set . There's no shortage of public land or bucks

Region 7 is huge , and has tons of blm and block management . Get onxmap if you don't already and you will be set . There's no shortage of public land or bucks

Yup. I would not pay anything for access out there. Far too much public, BMAs, and nice people if you knock on doors.

XX1, use your google and you'll find plenty of places. What they will look like this fall remains to be seen until you put boots on the ground. Winter, drought, etc, will play on the numbers.

Yup. I would not pay anything for access out there. Far too much public, BMAs, and nice people if you knock on doors.

XX1, use your google and you'll find plenty of places. What they will look like this fall remains to be seen until you put boots on the ground. Winter, drought, etc, will play on the numbers.

Agreed . A guy could never cover all the blm and bm areas . Plus state land . Get onx on your phone save offline map and you are set . Go hunt ! I will never pay to hunt . like 406 said you never know what fall will bring , so try get out before the opener and scout a little to see where the deer are hanging. Come November, where's there's does there'll be bucks

I have hunted region 7 a few times mostly for elk, I have seen some nice deer and I have seen some people shoot the first 2 year old 3 pt they see. Its the same ol same ol Eastern Montana Mule deer hunt. Its's hard to believe anymore that a good young buck with potential can even survive out there without living on a private sanctuary. You don't need to hunt Browns place there's tons of BLM and Public up there check out Seven Blackfoot lots of good country in the you just gotta be willing to go the extra mile;). You do that and you'll turn something up. Good luck

Scaff, hows the winter up that way? Are you getting the snow that Antlerradar is having down by Ashland?

We’re getting hit pretty hard, with the cold and snow, March could be a killer unless things really start to turn around.

I'm originally from Terry so I might be a little biased, But there's a crazy amount of public land in that area. A lot of it is hunted hard from the road, but there's some excellent country that a lot of people don't get to. There's quite a few patches of public north and south of the Yellowstone that you can get pretty far away from roads. Huge deer can be hard to find but not at all impossible. Like Schaaf said though the winter isn't looking too good.

I've hunter region 7 two of the last three years. Buy on X and use the desktop platform to mark likely chunks of public and then go exploring. Both the bucks we killed this year were within 1/2 a mile of a pin I dropped on the map sitting at my house in July. My best advice is don't overthink it.

It’s true.

that's laughable. good deer, and a lot of them , are takin each fall in region 7 . If you cant find one during the rut in R7 then for god sakes quit hunting out of the pickup and put some effort in . There are lots and lots and lots of good bucks taken on public and block management every fall in R7 - Fact.

ive seen 25" deer dead that are not very impressive (small forks and thin horned) and 19-20" heavy horned with good forks that I would take over the 25 all day. I tend to look at the body/head size more to see if the buck is mature.

Back