Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Merino wool

XX1

Looking to buy merino wool. What is the best stuff to buy, heard first light is good. I’ll be hunting in October and November in Montana. Does this stuff really keep you warm or do you have to still have to wear thermals. Thanks for any help with this

I absolutely love First Lite's merino. I fell into the river while duck hunting on a 20 degree morning back in December and soaked the top half of my body (and got some water in my waders too). Once I got out of the water, I stripped down to my merino base layer, and to my surprise I was relatively warm considering what had happened. In fact I was warm enough that we actually were able to finish our hunt. Merino wool is awesome stuff. One drawback though is that it's not a very durable fabric; I recommend wearing something protective over top to avoid getting holes in it.

I've bought my last First Lite wool garments. I don't like the fit of their tops. They also don't seem to last as long as other brands for me. I've had better luck with Smartwool. However, I'm done with wool as a base layer. It just doesn't do anything for me but make me hot when I walk.

It amazed me how well it worked for me during a recent hunt. Five days of constant snow and wind while doing the classic hurry up and then stop style elk hunt. I would be soaking wet from head to toe from huffing through a couple feet of snow and then get pinned down by a set of bedded down eyes for a couple hours. Merino dries incredibly fast, and keeps you warm while doing it.

I have some first lite, cabelas, and minus33. It's all worked great. The first lite stuff feels too lightweight to keep you warm below 50 but I've yet to be disappointed with it. My only gripe with first lite is they (and anyone really) is constantly changing their patterns.

The only downside of any of it is the price. But, you get what you pay for and it has seemed to be worth it.

It sounds like the pure Merino fad is coming to an end. Manufacturers are realizing that merino/synthetic combo is more durable, fits better, dries faster, etc. From what little I know about the new First Lite line is that they are putting more synthetic material into their wool. The Aerowool stuff is really really nice.

I’m a fan of merino. I rarely wear synthetics anymore at all. First Lite fits me great and is probably my favorite, but I love my Minus33 as well. I did not have as good of luck with Core4Element or Ice Breaker.

First lite long johns are so comfy to me I am tempted to wear it around the house just hanging around. I have had my collection for 4 seasons and they seem to be holding up very good. I dropped the coin getting pieces for layering from warm to cold weather. I honestly think I could wear the multiple pieces and never wash them the entire 5 month period I typically hunt. I don't see synthetics in my future again.

Wait for a good sale. None of my gear is camo though. I like the black ovis and ibex stuff. I have some Royal Robbins shirts but I think they put too much synthetic material because it isn't nearly as odor resistant as my other wool items. I'm sure the first lite stuff is great, just outside my price range most of the time.

As far as warmth...that's what mid and outler layers are for imo. Wool baselayer and shell probably won't keep most people warm while sitting and glassing in 25 degrees and wind.

IMO, there is no substitute for merino. I have found Smartwool and First Lite to be the most durable. The smart wool top fits me better than FL. FL sleeves are a little short for me and i have to size up to get a better fit. No big deal though. Core4 is not a bad cheap alternate but doesnt hold up as well. Ive not tried Icebreaker but do have a pair of Stoic longjohns that are ok, but i believe they more of a blend with synthetics than others. I tried Kyptek longjohns once and they lasted one hunt.

I made the switch this fall and it changed my idea of comfort. I did a bunch of hiking/backpacking as well as stand hunting. I personally have First Lite and it fits really well, but I'm tall and fairly skinny.

The main change for me was that my crotch and armpits don't get swamped when doing serious work with a backpack. And if they do get a little sweaty, they dried out in just a few minutes. I went with the AeroWool base layers and they literally are comfy enough for me not to want to take them off. I'm talking even after a week of not washing them. They do a decent job of keeping you warm and will do just fine underneath some windproof pants and a decent shell if you'll be moving. If you're looking for something that will be good for a long sit in 20 degree weather, you'll probably have to get something that is a thicker fabric, but wool would work just fine.

My setup is as follows:
Top - Minaret Aerowool top, Chama hoodie, and Uncompagre jacket (not wool but still excellent)
Base - Dobson Aerowool boxers, Glenbrook 3/4 length Aerowool bottoms, Corrugate guide pants (also not wool but excellent)

I have really love Smartwool socks and will continue to buy those and I'm sure that their other base layers are comparable to the FL stuff.

If you have any questions at all feel free to PM me. The switch was fairly expensive but I feel as though it was worth it.

I made the switch this fall and it changed my idea of comfort. I did a bunch of hiking/backpacking as well as stand hunting. I personally have First Lite and it fits really well, but I'm tall and fairly skinny.

The main change for me was that my crotch and armpits don't get swamped when doing serious work with a backpack. And if they do get a little sweaty, they dried out in just a few minutes. I went with the AeroWool base layers and they literally are comfy enough for me not to want to take them off. I'm talking even after a week of not washing them. They do a decent job of keeping you warm and will do just fine underneath some windproof pants and a decent shell if you'll be moving. If you're looking for something that will be good for a long sit in 20 degree weather, you'll probably have to get something that is a thicker fabric, but wool would work just fine.

My setup is as follows:
Top - Minaret Aerowool top, Chama hoodie, and Uncompagre jacket (not wool but still excellent)
Base - Dobson Aerowool boxers, Glenbrook 3/4 length Aerowool bottoms, Corrugate guide pants (also not wool but excellent)

I have really love Smartwool socks and will continue to buy those and I'm sure that their other base layers are comparable to the FL stuff.

If you have any questions at all feel free to PM me. The switch was fairly expensive but I feel as though it was worth it.

Give Fits brand socks a try. They're good, as well.

I use First Lite and Kuiu. FL base layer is more comfortable. I think Kuiu is more durable. I like how Marino wool doesn't hold odor after a week of wear. It says fast and helps regulate temperature better than anything else I have found.

I'm a big fan of merino wool. I've only used smart wool and mine are 100% wool. I bought one pair of bottoms and two shirts 12 years ago. I've washed and dried them probably a 100 times and hiked/hunted/skied many miles in them. In my experience there has been zero issues with the merino wool wearing out, and would recommend smart wool to anyone looking to buy merino wool.

Merino base layers are awesome. Smart wool is a great brand. Ice breakers are more fragile. Ice breaker is disappointing in general. Sleeves too short and fragile. Haven’t tried first lite yet but have seen some and it looks quality.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back