What is your dream firearm?

I used to pine for the Dakota, Blaser, NULA types...hell, I fell in love with a new 'dream' rifle at every SCI show. I'm over it....and I stopped going to SCI.
If you find yourself in Montana for the rifle season we are bringing over 3 Blasers between us you could try, I'm just not sure you would like the safety, it takes a bit of getting used to!
Cheers
Richard

This is easy for me. A 1885 Highwall with a 24” barrel in .338-06 topped with a Leupold 3.5-10x40 scope. Start with a heavy octagon barrel, then have turned to round about 2” out of the forearm. Oiled stock.
Need to find someone who can do the barrel work and it will be a reality.

Nothing extreme but I wouldn't mind a Browning Cynergy - 20 gauge for a grouse gun. More of an archery hunter for big game so no asperations for a fancy rifle.

I would love to know what has become of my fathers .458 Winchester which he used on elephant and Cape Buffalo. He left in in Kenya in 1970 when we moved back to the States. Hunting halted in Kenya sometime in the mid 70's and most firearms were required to move out of the country, or be turned into the government. I imagine it would have some interesting stories to tell.

If you find yourself in Montana for the rifle season we are bringing over 3 Blasers between us you could try, I'm just not sure you would like the safety, it takes a bit of getting used to!
Cheers
Richard

If I remember correctly, I was able to get the safety off plenty fast and without a problem on your 06 Blaser during my roebuck hunt last summer.:eek: That is one sweet shooting rifle, and you are more than welcome to leave it here with me if that safety causes you any problems on your Montana elk hunt.

Last edited:
50 alaskan built by Wild west guns in Alaska. That is the only firearm left on my bucket list. I was fortunate to acquire the 457 wwm last year and was delighted with the fit, finish, handling and performance. But I was recently diagnosed with esophageal cancer so I am unsure if I will live long enough to get the 50 alaskan.
416Ruger, sorry to hear about that. Cancer sucks. I hope you beat the odds and get that 50 Alaskan and then get to use it so much you shoot the barrel out of it.

My dream rifle is to have one built by Short Action Customs. The best groups of my life were with a SAC rifle a friend had built. Someday .....

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, I was able to get the safety off plenty fast and without a problem on your 06 Blaser during my roebuck hunt last summer.:eek: That is one sweet shooting rifle, and you are more than welcome to leave it here with me if that safety causes you any problems on your Montana elk hunt.
Well, I can't argue about that!
But thanks for the offer, I will take it back with me.
Cheers
Richard

McWhorter custom rifle in .300WSM. But given budget realities, it will end up being a Tikka T3X stainless Lite .300WSM in a McMillan stock. (In fact I could have 5 of those for the price of one McWhorter.)

McWhorter rifles are made about 15 minutes from me. They are top notch... but also very pricey!

My dream would be a McWhorter custom in .270Win with a walnut stock.

This is easy for me. A 1885 Highwall with a 24” barrel in .338-06 topped with a Leupold 3.5-10x40 scope. Start with a heavy octagon barrel, then have turned to round about 2” out of the forearm. Oiled stock.
Need to find someone who can do the barrel work and it will be a reality.

I have a.30-06 1885 topped with a Leopold 3.5x10x40. Close enough?

More likely:
Shotgun - Weatherby SA-08 Deluxe 20 ga.
Rifle - Weatherby Vanguard S2 Sporter .25-06

I have the weatherby V S2 .25-06 in a HS Precision stock and it is a tack driver - love the gun.

In very sad contrast, I had a SA-08 20ga and it was a dumpster-fire, never had a semi-auto that was more finicky about what shells it would cycle. The Mossberg SA-20 (at least for a time) was made in the same Turkish plant and it is smooth as a $400 can be and cycled anything we put in it. I would suggest considering a Montefeltro 20ga as your "more likely" shotgun in lieu of the SA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back