MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

What is your dream firearm?

You never know until you try. Most guys with rifles like this don't frequent the local range anyway. Something kinda cool about smacking a 12 inch gong at 1600 yards. Pull the trigger, remove hearing protection and listen for the hit. They still shoot long range with old rifles too. This is just a different way of doing it. Addicting, not sure of round count, but if I could afford one, I wouldn't care anyway. mtmuley

Oh, I have seen them shot. It was not pleasant. No thanks. That's why I leave when one shows up.

I shoot to 1000 yds all the time in competition. I do know what that is like. 1600 isn't possible at any of those matches, so we slow our bullets down and shoot a whole lot more instead. :)

I shot the .375 Allen Magnum. 18 pound rifle with Painkiller brake. Recoil is not a factor. Trust me, it's a kick in the ass to shoot these rifles. mtmuley

Never questioned it was fun - I am sure my boy and I would have a blast. Didn't realize this sucker was 18lbs, that will take the edge off.

Oh, I have seen them shot. It was not pleasant. No thanks. That's why I leave when one shows up.

I shoot to 1000 yds all the time in competition. I do know what that is like. 1600 isn't possible at any of those matches, so we slow our bullets down and shoot a whole lot more instead. :)

No rifle with a brake is pleasant to be around when fired. mtmuley

Go big or go home....although I can't say I wouldn't immediately sell it to finance a lifetimes worth of hunting trips...

HH.jpg

My “current” dream rifle.. A Remington clone action (Defiant, Lone Peak, Stiller, Gunwerks GRB), 26” number 5 fluted barrel or proof research in 1 in 8 twist and chambered in 7 lrm, rifle basix trigger, hawkins presision bottom metal, greyboe stock and undecided on optics. Vortex or Sig in 4-16 x 44 maybe. I am also wanting to look at a Bergara B14 Ridge in 7 Rem mag. It would probably do everything I really want and save me some money in the process..

if I could have any gun it would be a Griffin & Howe 1903 Springfield SN 956 if possible. That would have been Hemingways lost Springfield that he hunted all over with. short of that a solid drilling would top the list.

Thinking this may be the next one to grace the safe:

http://www.hillrodandgun.com/picture.php?id=12817

Brent - check out the Griffin & Howe used shotgun section, and Fieldsport out of Traverse City. Both have excellent deals on some very nice guns.

I have to stop in and talk to Charlie this week. Thanks for the tip, maybe I'll pick that one up:hump:

"....with a wonderful piece of Juglans regia that came from an un irrigated orchard in California". Well, LaDeeDah:D

Last edited:
Ben the Edward Gale would be just about ideal except that is set up for a lefty and an english straight stock. I can rebend the stock, but the triggers might need to be farmed out. Would rather have a pistol grip. That is certainly close though. My dream funds are a bit low too for that one, but maybe not too far off, I could swing it. I need to sell some stuff too.

"....with a wonderful piece of Juglans regia that came from an un irrigated orchard in California". Well, LaDeeDah:D

That sort of means something. The wood should be quite hard english with small pores, tight grain. In other words, ideal stuff for gunstocks.

It's a sweet gun, and I like the Briley tubes, though many would consider it a demerit on that kind of gun. Someone made his dream gun. I wonder what happened?

Ben the Edward Gale would be just about ideal except that is set up for a lefty and an english straight stock. I can rebend the stock, but the triggers might need to be farmed out. Would rather have a pistol grip. That is certainly close though. My dream funds are a bit low too for that one, but maybe not too far off, I could swing it. I need to sell some stuff too.

Stock bending, LH stocks with an English grip. Talking stuff I like. The fine purveyor of Hill Rod and Gun has done some good work for me.
Brent, you have bent stocks? If so, ever had any issues as the gun aged? I've had three bent and one "re-headed". The curse of being a southpaw and a bird gun enthusiast with low rent realities.

That sort of means something. The wood should be quite hard english with small pores, tight grain. In other words, ideal stuff for gunstocks.

It's a sweet gun, and I like the Briley tubes, though many would consider it a demerit on that kind of gun. Someone made his dream gun. I wonder what happened?

All of my shotguns take serious abuse - no trophies in my safe. What it means for me is small pores tight grain - still checked, scratched and battle scarred:cool:. All aside, pretty guns are pretty, no doubt.

onpoint, pretty guns can be used hard and even abused (though I consider those two different things).

I have bent one gun. An William Evans 16 bore hammer gun. It has a ridiculously high comb. It as a fun, if scary experience. I think it has lost a little of the initial bend over the year and I may do it again. It loses some right away, but then I think it slowly has been moving back, but I could be imagining it without actually measuring for it.

This one.

Evans%20and%20pheasant%202007.jpg

Gus%20birds%20and%20Evans%2016%20ga%202011.jpg

"....pretty guns can be used hard and even abused (though I consider those two different things)".

Ever slip and side on a scree slope, bouncing your new 16 SxS off of the granite on it's maiden voyage into the field. After that incident that poor gun looked both used hard and abused. Blue grouse hunting along ridgelines is a good place to season your scattergun.
Probably a few chukar hunters on here with some good stock wounds.........
Nice doggy.

Stock bending, LH stocks with an English grip. Talking stuff I like. The fine purveyor of Hill Rod and Gun has done some good work for me.
Brent, you have bent stocks? If so, ever had any issues as the gun aged? I've had three bent and one "re-headed". The curse of being a southpaw and a bird gun enthusiast with low rent realities.
What's a ballpark figure of having a stock bent? I'm looking for a 20ga for my son and the options withing budget are S L I M. I looked at a O/U that was a great weight and priced well enough, but it has a right handers buttstock. Don't want him getting whalloped too much just starting out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back