Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Youth Shotguns?

wildaggie13

I currently have my twin 6 yr olds shooting a single shot .410 but its too long and kicks a little too much....Can anyone recommend what they have used for their kids? Maybe 28 gauge, or something that they could grow into over the next 5 years also. We normally just shoot rabbits, quail and varmits.

Tough to beat a youth 870. My brother had one in 20 and it worked great. However, we didn't get them until we were about 12, so I'm not sure what would be good for a 6 yr old. Maybe 28 or .410 would be good options and I'm sure you can find a youth 870 in either of those.

I bought my kids (they all used it) a Beretta AL391 Urika 20 gauge. It’s a semiautomatic but is super light and doesn’t kick like a mule. I mess of critters met their maker with that little shotgun.

Mosberg makes a bantam and super bantam I think is the name. Both have adjustable length of pulls. I think the super is 11-12" and bantam is 12.5-13.5. They are reasonably priced and come in .410, 20, and 12. Theres still some pop however so an additional recoil pad could be used in addition to the one that comes on it. The bantam has choke tubes and the super bantam comes in modified I think. My boys both did ok on then but now they like the feel of my wingmaster better. The other thing I did once was cut down the plastic stock on a rossi. Pretty cheap fix for a $120 gun

^ yrs old kids that can't handle a 410 just might be shooting with to long a stock! I mean, how much recoil does a 410 have? Maybe your getting 3" shells? Most my 3" shells are no problem for me but then again I'm old. But most of my 410's are 2 1/2" target loads, 1/2oz of shot, don't get much easier than that. maybe if it's a inexpensive single shot you could cut the stock down for them, probably help!

6yrs old kids that can't handle a 410 just might be shooting with to long a stock! I mean, how much recoil does a 410 have? Maybe your getting 3" shells? Most my 3" shells are no problem for me but then again I'm old. But most of my 410's are 2 1/2" target loads, 1/2oz of shot, don't get much easier than that. maybe if it's a inexpensive single shot you could cut the stock down for them, probably help!

yes we were using 3" shells and yes the stock is too long, that's why I wanted to see if there were any youth models that guys recommended before I started cutting off stocks. It looks like I need to switch to a pump action. Mossberg or Remington look like the two best I guess.

I started my 10 yr old daughter out on a youth Rem 870 20ga. I used light trap/dove loads. Still would probably would be a little much for 6yr olds. I've seen alot of single shots kicking waayy more than they should over the years. If can afford it, may want to upgrade to Rem 1100. Gas system would also reduce kick.

I'll also suggest buy the "bob allen" shoulder pad. They have a gel pad to help reduce recoil. Daughter would wear it practicing and hunting. I think it helps in reducing recoil and pychologically also.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back