PEAX Equipment

Tenkara for Backcountry fishing?

Sytes

Man, I dig this "fly fishing" method! Any use or have opinions on the use of Tenkara Japanese based fishing? Seems this would be the cat's meow of backcountry fishing!

[video=youtube_share;BtwI-t60RF4]https://youtu.be/BtwI-t60RF4[/video]

I had an opportunity to use a friend's Tenkara setup on a backpack trek last year into the Bob Marshall and wow! Talk about a fishing resource tool that fulfilled most of my typical backpack type fishing! Downside were the small lakes and wider river runs though for practically no weight and minimal space to pack... It was fantastic!

My only regret is not purchasing one a few years back when the popularity began... They we're only $90 bucks then (roughly) now... $270 give or take...

Pros or cons from any who use or no longer use?

I personally do not like Tenkara, especially in backcountry. Playing big fish becomes a question, reach and accuracy are not as good. But to each his own.

Pros: light weight and packable (no reel); good for short casts and short drifts. Practical for fishing dries and nymphs on smaller creeks or short casts on lakes.

Cons: Tenkara just won’t do what a fly rod and reel will do. No long casts, no long slack line presentations, can’t strip or feed slack effectively, can’t strip treamers, can’t run sinking line for lakes, hard to play big fish. Most of all you don’t get that wonerful reel scream when a big fish takes line!

To me they make a good rod for backpacking where weight is critical and fishing is not the objective. But if I am hiking to fish, I’ll carry a rod and reel.

I've been with a friend a few times. He does tenkara exclusively. His prize is not the size of fish but being able to get into the stream that might be 18" wide and get that greenback trout hiding along the bank. Now he has caught 14"+ size trout, you just have to finesse it a bit more.

I had a blast doing it, I just haven't invested in a rod since I haven't really had the time to fish as much as I'd like to.

It is ideal for small streams and I have started using it as my primary method for the small streams of the Smokies. It's harder to land big fish, no doubt about that, but I have personally landed 18" rainbow with my heavier Tenkara. Not slungers but not slouches either. It's not my go to for bigger streams or bigger fish but brook trout up in the mountains it will work well.

Its a tradeoff for me. I wouldn't use it as my primary method of fishing, nor would I use it in a situation where I wanted to catch fish for dinner... but if I were just out doing some backpacking(not hunting or fishing oriented), its a great way to take up time during the day.

Good points all. To think back, I've never had an issue with weight and packability of my fly rod/reel... Seems the Tenkara though holds near nil on weight and size.
For myself, I'd lose out on getting further on small lakes and wider streams. When I took my friends, it was so simple and an art in itself differing from traditional and mainly streams w/ max 14"... Fun though pull stick up - in come trout... Little left to the fight...
Meh, in review, I am still mixed BUT ... $270+ is a bit heavier and more bulky a wallet dump than carrying my current fly rod/reel setup.

It's becoming all the rage back east. In fact, my local outdoor store is putting on a tenkara workshop for beginners next week. I can see it's usefulness on small mountain streams and it's compact size.

I can catch a heck of a lot more fish with my cheapo collapsible rod/reel but the Tenkara is pretty fun. I've only pulled in a few small trout with mine, in lakes which is not the ideal water to use it. Looking forward to honing my technique in smaller streams like Zach is referring to. I got my Sawtooth combo on Massdrop for a pretty good discount over msrp.

Looks cool but I have only ever used a redneck Tenkara: A stick with 6 feet of line tied to it equipped with a barbed hook and some lunch meat on it. Lightweight and packable. :)

Looks like challenging fun. I can see a Tenkara in the mud room and a 6.5 Creedbun in the safe. Do they make skinny waders?

I am a motivated backpacker and minimally motivated fisherman, so for me it's a great tool for little mountain fish. I've had one for a couple of years. I can imagine it could leave a bit to be desired for the serious fisherman.

I'm still early in the learning process in fly fishing and use both. Bigger water, bigger fish, for sure go standard. But for backcountry small streams and backpack trips, Tenkara is a ton of fun and weighs ounces. It's just easy and light to toss a fly out when you come across a small stream that (suprise!) is loaded with trout.That said, when the fish are rising out off the shore on a alpine lake, it be very frustrating to have the limited reach of tenkara. I've handled rainbows and cutthroats up to 20-22 inches on tenkara gear, which is pretty good where I hike/fish.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back