Default Iguana Hunting in FL with Blowgun?

Anyone have insight/experience to this? We are going to Key West next Jan, and the fly fishing guide told me about this. Says no guns in the keys, but blowguns are very effective. Also said you can't go 20 ft without seeing them. I've done some googling, reached out to some guides. We'll see what comes back.
    "There are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm." ~TR

"He was a mighty hunter before the Lord." ~Genesis 10:9

They're not that hard to catch by hand...

Name:  ig.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  32.2 KB
    Oh give me a home with a low interest loan,
    a cowgirl and two pickup trucks.

A color TV,
    all the beer should be free,
    and that, man, is Rancho Deluxe.

why would you want (or care) to kill an iguana????

My homies down in Mexico say they they're good eating!
    Oh give me a home with a low interest loan,
    a cowgirl and two pickup trucks.

A color TV,
    all the beer should be free,
    and that, man, is Rancho Deluxe.

I've heard they are pretty good to eat. I think field and stream did an article not too long ago. I don't know much about bkow gun hunting them but he's right, they are everywhere. We camped in the keys two years ago and there was one big enough I didn't trust him around my youngest. He had to be five feet long head to tail. What about a bow?
    Self proclaimed Founder, President, and Spiritual Leader of the I.S.V.F......Introduce Speedgoats to Virginia Foundation

6. Default

Read the article,I believe they used air rifles.

Also, they are an invasive species who do a lot of damage to the native flora and fauna.
    Quote Originally Posted by wyoboypt View Post
    "Never apologize for being a Patriot!"

Quote Originally Posted by wyoboypt View Post
    U mean besides them being a non native invasive species like the pythons?

Proof us hunters will chase anything that breathes. I will also add buy almost anything we think will give us an edge over the next guy.

A guided iguana hunt...I have heard it all. Let us know how it goes. Definitely sounds interesting.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir

On the shores of the Graveyard of the Atlantic

If your aim proves to be off, they will take a fly.
    Granted you won’t land many on 4 weight but it’s a bit like tarpon fishing, you’re really just looking for a good jump

They're much better used for scaring your wife than eating.
    https://youtu.be/B4GpIASerfc

I was watching that "Bizarre Foods" show a long time ago, and they were hunting them with pellet guns from a boat along the shoreline, looked like a ton of fun!

I go down to the Keys regularly and they are truly everywhere. I've had to defend my food several times since they are not shy. Not sure if there is much "hunting" involved since they'll come right up to you. As for eating, I have had an iguana sandwich while in Mexico. Cant say I'm a fan of the taste.

I saw a post on social media where scientists and invasive species control personnel are knocking iguanas with the captive bolt gun that they use on cattle. They're going Antone Chigurh (No Country for Old Men) on them and it's ruffling a few feathers with the soft hearted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mthuntr View Post
    I saw a post on social media where scientists and invasive species control personnel are knocking iguanas with the captive bolt gun that they use on cattle. They're going Antone Chigurh (No Country for Old Men) on them and it's ruffling a few feathers with the soft hearted.
    Wonder if they need volunteers?

17. Default

My girlfriend is from South Florida with plenty of relatives living in the keys. They take an airgun to each one they see. The meat is darn good, like in certain markets they sell for 50 bucks a pound. I'd say find a place to shoot em, and fill up your cooler!

I read this a couple years ago. I'd try it for sure.

https://www.amazon.com/Eating-Aliens...ating+invasive
    Elitist Hunter

"Never let schooling [work] get in the way of your education" - Mark Twain

I've heard there's a particular demand for them during Lent in some parts of Central America.

To my knowledge a pellet gun is fine in the keys but I would want to back that up with Fwc. As far as I know it's not illegal to use a firearm either but I would because of the possibility of hitting another fisherman.
    We shoot firearms off the boat aiming at either clay targets thrown by hand or at floating debris when fishing off shore. Just know what's behind your target
    Just my 2 cents