MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

I've found myself getting cabin fever recently...

406LIFE

...I keep thinking of excuses to go out somewhere, try new gear, or just shoot. I don't usually have this happen to me. Just seems like I'm ready for spring and putting a fly in the water and hiking mountains. I don't mind the cold, or the snow; I do mind the wind a fair bit, since it finds all the cracks in my house and fills them with snow. The dog is sitting at my feet looking at me, wondering when we leave again. Duck season is gone, and I have little desire to sit on ice staring at a hole. I have plenty of flies tied, or maybe not. I guess what I am really saying is I think I'm done with winter.

Same here. Cold, mud,cold, mud ...back to cold. The steelhead fishing been decent when the slush is out, size 10 hot stone stoneflys been the ticket.

16f, stiff east wind, out with the bearded ladies today. These two keep me from getting "cabin fever". The winter doesn't bother them a bit, 'cept for birds being a little scarce......
DSCN0149.jpg
DSCN0151.jpg

Nice pics On point! Looks like the sun was out on the Bozman side.
I watched snow blowing sideways all day. The Huns we're in front of the living room windows...our GWP was on point from the warm side.

...I keep thinking of excuses to go out somewhere, try new gear, or just shoot. I don't usually have this happen to me. Just seems like I'm ready for spring and putting a fly in the water and hiking mountains. I don't mind the cold, or the snow; I do mind the wind a fair bit, since it finds all the cracks in my house and fills them with snow. The dog is sitting at my feet looking at me, wondering when we leave again. Duck season is gone, and I have little desire to sit on ice staring at a hole. I have plenty of flies tied, or maybe not. I guess what I am really saying is I think I'm done with winter.

Winter ain't done with the Root. Wolf hunting was cold, but better than sitting around. mtmuley

406, I hear you on being done with winter! Not many days ago it was so warm, I was thinking about getting back to work in the fields - today it's been sideways snow all day. Oh well, I wasn't ready to get back to farming anyway. Now, wolf hunting that's a worthy diversion, unfortunately the closest thing I have is a steel one out at the range.

406, I hear you on being done with winter! Not many days ago it was so warm, I was thinking about getting back to work in the fields - today it's been sideways snow all day. Oh well, I wasn't ready to get back to farming anyway. Now, wolf hunting that's a worthy diversion, unfortunately the closest thing I have is a steel one out at the range.

fishing, you're in Eastern Washington. Pretty close to Western Montana, and wolf tags are cheap. mtmuley

I normally don't get crabby about winter outside of my practicing being the neighborhood elderly crank yelling at kids to slow down and the plows.

but I'm done with this one. Ready for spring, and much less ice.

406Life, took the words right outta my thoughts. I am done with winter however, I fear winter is not done with us...

IMG_20180218_111409.jpg

IMG_20180217_100541.jpg

I would like to explore / scout this again...

eqlhght.jpg

Ice fishing keeps me plenty busy in the winter. Not popular with some but I really enjoy it. Plus it allows me to fill the freezer with fish. This winter has been tough though. It seems as though every day I have off to go out it is either below zero or it is very windyCatch from Green Lake.jpg
It was a little cold out there today

Attachments

• No Mans Lake.jpg
    No Mans Lake.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 256
Some of you may not realize what a tease we got here in Eastern WA, we had two weeks with 50 and 60s. Tee shirt and jeans, almost all the snow melted, things were budding or getting ready to. Then old man winter came back in full force. I don't know it is was better to get a break or worse having such a tease.

-14f in the Gallatin Valley at 0530 this AM. Pretty darned good snowpack (read summer streamflows) covering the land. I like to fish, traipse around the high country, and breath smoke free air in the summer. No complaints about winter from me.

I think el unit is on to something.

I don't own snowmobiles but the wife and I went to West Yellowstone and rented a couple and had an absolute blast over the weekend. Ice fishing, skiing, and coyote hunting are all fine winter activities, but a couple days of snowmobiling really rejuvinated me and addressed my cabin fever swiftly. On the drive home she started talking like we may need to go buy a couple for family activities.

Some jaywalkers. I had never hollered at a Bighorn Sheep, so I rolled down the window and jumped at this opportunity. From 10 feet away the ewe didn't even blink.

Trip1.jpg

There was a fair amount of snow

Trip2.jpg

The views were incredible.

Trip3.jpg

Don't let cabin fever get ya down.

Winter in Dillon has been great for outdoor activities (we only recently got cold). I started downhill skiing on New Years Eve and have been 1/2 dozen times since. My friends got me interested in crosscountry skiing and I've been struggling with some super narrow and short skis so I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Backcountry XC skis.

The ice fishing has sucked this year so I gave that up and my freezer is showing a major shortage in Perch and Walleye.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back