Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Chassis Hunting Rifle

I'm just teasin' you, but I sometimes cringe when a new hunting rifle defaults to a bolt or a "platform" without even considering other alternatives. There are so many cool rifles and designs. The history of gunmaking is a long one and many talented artists and craftsmen have some pretty wonderful creations.

My guess is you are plenty fine as a shooter. Probably as good as me and the guns I use (which are VERY different than what you are thinking about). It's not about being a better shot. It's about taking a good shot -just like you should with a multishooter.

I just like things that are old and have some history and patina. And if I can't afford the patina, then I approximate with a rebuild of an old one or even a recreation of an old one. But for me, this is as much part of the fun as the final stalk and shot.

I'm just thinking outside the bubble - mostly because that's where I live.

Cody, as has been pointed out, the Creedmoor and PRC are not the same cartridge. Caliber choice is personal and what you plan on doing with the gun. I like the recoil of the 260/6.5 class calibers. I think the 6.5 PRC will be a great option - not the only choice (I doubt there really is such a thing as the "best caliber" out there). My son is just barely starting to build himself a 6.5PRC on a chassis as a hunting rifle. As much as I like lower recoil and 6.5 rifles, is my 300RUM for sale? Not a chance, still enjoy hunting with it and it still goes to the range for fun - just not as many rounds fired down range.

6.5 for practice, RUM for killing? mtmuley

I just like things that are old and have some history and patina.

I genuinely appreciate your appreciation of old firearms. I am right there with you. Like you, I am also a lover of old. My most treasured firearms are those that were passed onto me from my Grandfather. One of which was ourchased out of an old Sears catalog. I would not trade those for the most modern, high-tech, and feature filled rifle on the market today. I’ve taken my share of whitetail deer with those guns to commemorate my grandfather.

However, as a lover of firearms, I also love the evolution of firearms. I think this my interest in the MPR.

Both for both, but the RUM has brought the most home hunting wise. First time I laid eyes on a Remington 700 CDL in 300RUM I was smitten and a great wife surprised me with it that Christmas.

Saw the RUM at the RMEF Rendezvous in 1999 in Reno. Brought my first one home in 2000. It does do some killing. mtmuley

It would be, but I use a .45-70 for antelope too. I'd by a .45 over every other caliber every time. But that's just me. My powder is black too, so that's part of it.
Like this:
2010%20Antelope%20doe%20%232%20small.jpg

I think it is my purpose in life; to rescue people from ugly guns.
There are worse jobs ... :)

You can find a Browning B78 or 1885 in all kinds of calibers, so don't let that limit you. And there are lots of other types of singleshots too - No flies on a Shiloh Sharps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back