Chassis Hunting Rifle

Cody-CO

Hey guys,

This is my first post on this site. So far from what I’ve read, I like what I see. I have a quick and simple question, and hopefully a conversation starter. Have you all seen the new Modern Precision Rifle (MPR) that is being made by Christensen Arms? I saw it in a store the other day and was seriously impressed. I am considering whether or not I want to drop the hard earned money onto it, but it’s a big investment! I am kind of wanting a “do all” rifle for western hunting, as well as some long range plinking. If I decide to go with the rifle, I am going to have a hard time choosing between the .308 and .300 WIN.. but that’s a different conversation.

At last, my question: would any of you seriously consider doing some western big game hunting with a collapsible chassis rifle whose weight is manageable? (The MPR weighs between 6.9 lbs and 8.1 lbs depending on action and barrel length).. what do you see as advantages/disadvantages when comparing chassis stocks vs. traditional rifle stocks?

Here is a link to the MPR by Christensen: https://christensenarms.com/modern-precision-rifle/

Personable opinion only. Not a chance. I will not have a rifle I think is an ugly rifle. Now could you consider hunting game with it? Why would you ask anyone else. The question is would you consider using it? In a lot of these matter's, the only opinion that count's is yours!

Me, no chassis rifle. Not a fan of pistol grip on a rifle at all. Not even thumbhole. The big detachable mag is nothing but a hindrance in my opinion. The whole look doesn't appeal to me. Just my opinion. Bet guys on Rokslide would love it. mtmuley

I shoot a chassis rifle in competition and for long-range target shooting. The chassis can really be adjusted to get the check weld and length of pull that fits you, but they are a different look. My hunting rifles are more traditional, but after getting used to how adjustable a chassis is I've grown very fond of an adjustable check on my hunting rifle too. I've never handled or even seen in person the MPR, for looks there are other chassis I like more, but for the features and the weight - that's an interesting rifle. Would I hunt with one? Yes. I don't hunt with mine because the weight of my hunting rifle suits me better. My chassis rifles have never been as light as the MPR. My sons do use their chassis rifles for hunting. If you like the rifle, hunt with it. Completely off subject, I'd look at the 6.5 PRC caliber as well.

I appreciate everyone’s feedback! I think what is most appealing to me are the features this rifle has, it’s weight or lack thereof, and it’s uniqueness. I’m not sure that the folding stock is incredibly practical for spot and stalk backpacking, but that is also a part of the appeal.

fishing4sanity, I’ve not really considered the 6.5 Creedmoor round as I do not have first hand experience with that caliber, and would like to use this rifle for large game, however I know this spills into a huge issue of debate. If it was proven to me that the 6.5 C has the capacity for ethical big game hunts, I would totally show interest. I have heard a lot of competition shooters rant and rave over that round.

I appreciate everyone’s feedback! I think what is most appealing to me are the features this rifle has, it’s weight or lack thereof, and it’s uniqueness. I’m not sure that the folding stock is incredibly practical for spot and stalk backpacking, but that is also a part of the appeal.

fishing4sanity, I’ve not really considered the 6.5 Creedmoor round as I do not have first hand experience with that caliber, and would like to use this rifle for large game, however I know this spills into a huge issue of debate. If it was proven to me that the 6.5 C has the capacity for ethical big game hunts, I would totally show interest. I have heard a lot of competition shooters rant and rave over that round.

He's talking about the 6.5 PRC, not creedmor. Its based on a ruger short mag case.

I think as long as that rifle balanced well it could be ok. The box mag could be an issue, but I haven't had problems on the AR platform so who knows?

How about a really nice break-action English singleshot? It would be light, handy, reduceable to very small size and ANYTHING BUT UGLY. Just thinkin' out loud. I would like to save you from hunting with an ugly gun if I can :)

Wow, this thread caught my eye and so did your link. All things being equal, why even hunt with that ugly mo fo ???

Cody, as has been pointed out, the Creedmoor and PRC are not the same cartridge. Caliber choice is personal and what you plan on doing with the gun. I like the recoil of the 260/6.5 class calibers. I think the 6.5 PRC will be a great option - not the only choice (I doubt there really is such a thing as the "best caliber" out there). My son is just barely starting to build himself a 6.5PRC on a chassis as a hunting rifle. As much as I like lower recoil and 6.5 rifles, is my 300RUM for sale? Not a chance, still enjoy hunting with it and it still goes to the range for fun - just not as many rounds fired down range.

Haha. I get it. This thing is ugly. As much as I would LOVE to carry around a beautiful Model 70 with a Supergrade stock, I don’t find it practical.. in fact I may get emotional the first time I accidentally lean it into a Rocky Mountain boulder. I’ll buy a pretty gun for my mantle one day. :).. also, I don’t think I really find this thing less attractive than the majority of composite stocks.

noharleyyet, thanks for the link.. those specs are awesome! It definitely catches the eye. Do you guys think the 6.5 PRC will be a barrel burner?

Haha. I get it. This thing is ugly. As much as I would LOVE to carry around a beautiful Model 70 with a Supergrade stock, I don’t find it practical.

There is some middle ground you know - and besides you could do MUCH nicer than a bolt rifle anyway :)

"Oh, you meant the wrong bolt sided rifle. My bad"

That's the wife's tying desk - her problem....

"and besides you could do MUCH nicer than a bolt rifle anyway"

Do you even belong in a discussion of ugly firearms?;)

There is some middle ground you know - and besides you could do MUCH nicer than a bolt rifle anyway :)

Sorry Brent, but I just don’t know if I have the marksmanship in me to have a singeshot. You must be a heck of a marksman!!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back