Muzzle Velocity (???)

Brian in Montana

Finally got out to the range with some of my test loads: shooting a 7mm-08 with a 24" barrel; twist rate is 1:9.25; 140grn Nosler AB; using Varget. My starting load was 38 grains and I went up in .5 grain increments to a max load of 42.

The weather was nasty yesterday and I didn't get all the way through my test loads. That weather was kind of a problem since conditions really weren't great for shooting for accuracy - cold, wind, started snowing before I left. Another thing was I started with a barrel clean enough to eat off of. I'd intended to bring a box of factory ammo to shoot a couple of fouling shots, but forgot it, so all I had were my test loads. The wind blew the sun shade off my chrono a couple of times, but anyway, here's what I observed.

The 38 grain load was very accurate. I had 4 shots touching one another with an outlier about an inch high (could have been an infamous "clean barrel flier", could have been user error). 38.5 grains and 39 grains were both about 1 MOA. But 39.5 and 40 were both beginning to open up a bit (I assume that trend will continue when I shoot the higher loads).

I was a little surprised that my most accurate load was the first one. That's cool, but my average muzzle velocity was 2470.2FPS. That doesn't seem very fast (my .308 clocks in at 2640 FPS with factory loads), probably fine for deer, but I'm afraid it would be running out of umph pretty quick down range. So I need some advice from you guys with more experience - is 2470.2 FPS an acceptable MV for a 7mm-08?

My intended applications are primarily deer/antelope, but I'd like to feel confident shooting an elk or a bear with it.

Last edited:
in my experience in reloading, i have found that right around 10% below max load is always the most accurate. if you keep your shots under 300 yards the velocity you posted is more than sufficient to do the job. i've found that lower velocities have a habit of penetrating better and dumping more energy into the intended target. mind you the only reason i said keep your shots under 300 yards, is because thats my self imposed limit at taking any game animal, i feel that past that there are to many variables that may or may not interfere with a clean kill. can i and have shot farther, you bet, killed a lot of paper targets out to 500 yards, no problem.

You could tweak your seating depth a bit. If that doesn't work, try a different powder.

Seating depth is not something I've played with, would you suggest a little deeper or a little longer?

Also, I have a pound of H4350 on my shelf; I'm probably going to try some loads with that.

Seating depth is not something I've played with, would you suggest a little deeper or a little longer?

Also, I have a pound of H4350 on my shelf; I'm probably going to try some loads with that.

While each rifle is different, I can say that in the 3 7-08's I load for the 140 noslers like a pretty good jump in general. Seating depth can certainly make a big difference. I would start by seating bullets .010 off the lands or to maximum length per mag box confines. IME, the nosler's like about a .040 jump in the 7-08. I would seat them down to .080-.100 just to see. My 7 RM likes the 160 AB at .005-.010...anything deeper and accuracy starts dropping off.

As to the MV of 2470 with a 140...I would not be happy there personally, leaving way too much performance on the table. My 7-08 shoots the 140's at 2850 with 43.0 grains varget.

I would switch to 120's before I shot the 140's at that kind of anemic velocity...or like has been suggested try some different powders.

I never understood the shooting groups at different powder charges.

I do single shots at 0.3gr difference, marking each shot # on the target. Look for closest 3 shots vertically. Middle one is charge weight.

Seating depth will effect group size.

As a side note i couldn't get the regular Accubond to group worth a tinkers darn.
Love the ABLR though!

I wouldn't be happy with that speed. As a reference: I'm getting 3000fps using 120 grain NBTs and 2820/2800fps using 140 grain Partitions/Accubonds.

My rifle is a Remington Model Seven SS 7-08 with a 20" barrel.

Varget is my powder for 120s and RL16 for the 140s.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be happy with that speed. As a reference: I'm getting 3000fps using 120 grain NBTs and 2820/2800fps using 140 grain Partitions/Accubonds.

My rifle is a Remington Model Seven SS 7-08 with a 20" barrel.

Varget is my powder for 120s and RL16 for the 140s.

I agree. For western hunting, when elk might be on the menu, I'd want more speed than that. For a 140 accubond, I'd be trying Ramshot Big Game. Also, this might just be me, but I've learned not to do load work on cold, windy days. I always leave wondering if what I saw was reflecting on the load, or on me.

I never understood the shooting groups at different powder charges.

I do single shots at 0.3gr difference, marking each shot # on the target. Look for closest 3 shots vertically. Middle one is charge weight.

Seating depth will effect group size.

As a side note i couldn't get the regular Accubond to group worth a tinkers darn.
Love the ABLR though!

I've never heard of that. What if the max load is the most accurate? Will it still print in the middle of the closest 3?

I would find a different poweder and load more up. 2400fps would be very disappointing if it were me.

I agree. For western hunting, when elk might be on the menu, I'd want more speed than that. For a 140 accubond, I'd be trying Ramshot Big Game. Also, this might just be me, but I've learned not to do load work on cold, windy days. I always leave wondering if what I saw was reflecting on the load, or on me.

(I'm basing this on wanting an elk load to have at least 1500 foot pounds of energy and to be moving at least 2000 fps at max range). I'd calculate your current load as having a max range of under 200 yards. However, I know my rule is a bit arbitrary and there are plenty of folks on here who have killed a lot more elk, who might feel differently.

I would wait for better conditions to do your testing. Also check the factory loads to use as a base line. Keep in mind that Nosler uses 1800 fps as a minimum for their bullets to expand. Sounds like you have some reloading to do.

Good luck,
Dan

Since I want the fastest loads that I can safely get, I don't start anywhere close to the starting loads listed in Nosler's load data. I've been starting my loads about a grain below their listed book max and work up. Some folks don't like that, but I've never had any issues doing this. This method has saved me a pile of components and shots down the barrel.

Since I want the fastest loads that I can safely get, I don't start anywhere close to the starting loads listed in Nosler's load data. I've been starting my loads about a grain below their listed book max and work up. Some folks don't like that, but I've never had any issues doing this. This method has saved me a pile of components and shots down the barrel.

Not a good idea. Might work for you, but I wouldn't recommend it. Too much can go wrong. mtmuley

I set my OAL .003”-.005” off the lands. Each rifle is different so I always start at lowest load in the reloading book for the powder and bullet I’m using. It is worth one shot at lowest powder charge to test pressures. Then I work up from that point. I never let speed determine my best load I let accuracy tell me that.

Go to a witch doctor and have him remove all memory of your results to this point. Next, get rid of your chronograph and don't use anyone else's. Now work up a load that satify's you at the target and forget about velocity. Lastly sight the load in 3 1/2" high at 100yds and you should be good to go holding dead on to about 300 yds!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back