Gloves

Buy the cheapest, unlined, untreated leather glove you can find just a skosh over sized. Coat those gloves with straight beeswax. I get the wax at the craft store in the candle making aisle. Heat it with the wife's hair dryer and rub it into the glove. Do not do this with your hand in said glove. It get's more than a touch 'warm'...

They'll be all but waterproof, will turn thorns with ease, and last a very long time. Break in's a pain as they start out very, very stiff.

I always like a DIY project, I will have to try this.

One of the best tips I've gotten off Al's internet. Just don't say I didn't warn you about the break in and them being stiff at first...

My knee only found cactus once. I wear military surplus knee pads now. Loose fitting leather gloves keep fingers protected

Cheapo 3-pack of leather work gloves from Home Depot left me with 3 pair of gloves when I was done with the Hunt. $ 11.00. I'll probably still have them in the duffle bag when my family goes through my crap when my ashes are scattered. Same with the knee pads. I think they were almost a whopping $12.

It really boils down to where you are hunting. In AZ I really needed shin/ankle guards more than anything else, but east WY had tiny little suckers that just pricked into you from any contact to the ground.

Mechanix Impact Leather are my pronghorn stalking gloves of choice and any of the Sitka pants with integrated knee pads are the best.

Rookie mistakes from my first antelope trip involve my wife pulling nearly 20 needles out of my shin after I got home and my buddy setting up a thermarest on a cactus in the dark which was rendered repairable.

Cheap but thick leather gloves and double-layered Carhartt pants is about my limit. I'm not going to be walking around the Great Plains dressed up like a guy who is about to install vinyl flooring. You're going to get stickers in you but from one Minnesota to another I can assure you that you'll survive.

Cheap but thick leather gloves and double-layered Carhartt pants is about my limit. I'm not going to be walking around the Great Plains dressed up like a guy who is about to install vinyl flooring. You're going to get stickers in you but from one Minnesota to another I can assure you that you'll survive.

+1 with the double-layered Carhartt pants. I bought a new pair of winter gloves last year for our late season hunt and it was cold enough to use them and those spiny stickers were everywhere but i never did put them on. If i can stand wearing gloves, they have to have the fingers cut out of them. At the very least, the thumb and first finger on every pair i own, are gone before first use. Now if it was really, really cold, i might change my normal SOP and be glad i had those new fluffy camo insulated things along.

Crawling hands and knees for me these days is simply out of the question. Recent years past efforts have confirmed that one short session will swell both knees by the next day, to a painful reduced operation status.

I've found a lot of gloves that look nice and tough, but once you get them home, it seems they were made for the hand of another species or something.

I bought a pair of these last year, then ended up buying a couple more pair. They fit me well, they are tough enough but they break in well enough to be comfortable all day if necessary. Prices vary... right now they are $16, but I paid $11 last year.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004R9RW/

2 pages of posts on special antelope gloves?

I have archery hunted and gun hunted antelope all over Montana for a whole lot of seasons and never once felt the need for gloves or knee pads. I don’t remember every seeing a hunter wearing them either.

Maybe it’s an eastern guy thing? Isn’t simpler to just look before you kneel, sit or crawl? Get poked a few times and it becomes habit real quick.

A buddy stuck his hand on a prickly pear one year. He's a lot more observant now. No gloves still. mtmuley

I always thought if you weren't picking a few stickers, you weren't really hunting pronghorn.

As far as gloves go...about all you can do with a pair of gloves on, is piss your pants.

Last edited:
Ive hunted mule deer in some prickly habitat, just had some mechanics gloves on and watched what I did. You will get pricked! But usually it isn't that bad.....

I always thought if you weren't picking a few stickers, you weren't really hunting pronghorn.

As far as gloves go...about all you can do with a pair of gloves on, is piss your pants.
HAHA. Had an old guy tell me the same thing once while helping him load up a couple of mules.

I can forgo the kneepads, but always have the gloves with me. Don't always where them, but have them.

Mechanix Impact Leather are my pronghorn stalking gloves of choice and any of the Sitka pants with integrated knee pads are the best.

Rookie mistakes from my first antelope trip involve my wife pulling nearly 20 needles out of my shin after I got home and my buddy setting up a thermarest on a cactus in the dark which was rendered repairable.

Many armed professionals and license holders (CCW), like the Mechanix line of gloves https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-hunting-gloves/ They offer agility and protection.
The 5.11 line is well made. They have a tactile sensory function that helps to use mobile phones with weapons, etc.
I really like the Hatch Operator Shorty. It offers a tight fit for agility, but you can remove trigger fingers.
James Yeager of Tactical Response stated in several videos that Hatch operators wear out quickly. But keep in mind that this is using heavy/running and handguns.
Blackhawk SOLAG is also highly rated, but they are not cheap.
I'm sure you can find a decent pair of gloves to meet your needs, but a quality pair can cost more.
[video=youtube;oRwuWp7CI2w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRwuWp7CI2w[/video]

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back