Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Kimber 84M

Satchamo that’s exactly what I am going for. How does yours feed? Do you feel that the magazine is hard to get 3 rounds into and also is the bolt hard to cycle with magazine loaded?

I won't lie, when I first brought it home and put some shells through it, I was having issues with loading the first round into it... Then the second and third would cycle fine. I called Kimber and they sent me a PDF of how to stack the rounds in the magazine. Once I started stacking them correctly, it loads fine. I didn't have any loading issues this past weekend when I sighted it in.

I'm really happy with the gun overall but i don't have much to compare it to. I'm a bowhunter primarily and this is my first big game rifle. I actually went to Whitaker's to buy a Tikka and walked out with the Kimber. It was about $200 more but the fit, finish and feel was so much better than the Tikka. The Tikka just had a smoother action. Not knocking tikkas though, just my preference from handling them.

Last edited:
I won't lie, when I first brought it home and put some shells through it, I was having issues with loading the first round into it... Then the second and first would cycle fine. I called Kimber and they send me a PDF of how to stack the rounds in the magazine. Once I started stacking them correctly it loads fine. I didn't have any loading issues this past weekend when I sighted it in.

I'm really happy with the gun overall but i don't have much to compare it to. I'm a bowhunter primarily and this is my first big game rifle. I actually went to Whitaker's to buy a Tikka and walked out with the Kimber. It was about $200 more but the fit, finish and feel was so much better than the Tikka. The Tikka just had a smoother action. Not knocking tikkas though, just my preference from handling them.

So what is the trick? I wouldn’t have guessed there was another way to load a mag?

Also, you missed out on the super Hunter sale at Whittakers. I got mine for $569.00

Haha rub it in belly! I gave $725 for it before tax.

Here's the PDF they sent me for the loading sequence.

View attachment 80454

I’ll be damned. Just went and tried it and it feeds much better. Thanks for sharing. I never paid much attention to how I was loading them in. I just assumed if I crammed them in there, they’d find their rightful place.

I must say, I’m a little disappointed Kimber didn’t make a belly-deep proof magazine though.

I would still support your original idea. Tikka SS Lite in 25-06 is going to be hard to beat IMO

First I’d settle the issue of whether you want a 25-06 or a .308, regardless of which rifle brand you go with. I purchased a 25-06 Tikka T3X Lite Synthetic Stainless back in November, and mounted a VX-2 3-9x40, so you’re on the right track as far as I’m concerned!

I was drawn to the Kimber name, and it’s possible that I’ll own one in the future, but I’ve got a trusted friend that owns many a rifle, including Kimber Montanas and Tikkas, and he vouched for the Tikka. He told me that of all his factory rifles he prefers the Tikka trigger, and on my own behalf I’ll say that I simply love how smooth the action is. The synthetic stock fits me like a glove and I get wonderful eye relief on my Leupold with my DNZ low mount.

Thanks for all the info on this thread. Helped me pull the trigger (sorry I know) on a Kimber Hunter 308 last weekend as my first true hunting rifle. I cant wait to get out and run some rounds through it. Had no idea I could get a such a nice hunting rifle set up that weighs 6.5 lbs!

I hope you like it as much as I like the two Kimbers I have. I've had 8 Tikkas. All were good to great shooters. The Kimbers just feel good in my hands,and point very naturally. As far as triggers go,I love the Kimber. I like to have full control of over travel and sear engagement,as well as weight of pull. Being an old Remington trigger mechanic,these are a no brainer. If you aren't comfortable working with them,get guidance. They really are nice units. My biggest gripe with the Tikka trigger is the lack of over travel adjustment. Otherwise fine unit in its own right.

There was some great advice in this thread. I really appreciate it and reading the pros and cons of each rifle. I really went a different route after the Kimber was sold at the local shop. I stopped by the BX on lunch break last week and they had 10% off all guns. I walked out with a Ruger American Varmit chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. I have a Leupold vx3 on the way to put in it.

I have a Montana and a Hunter. The Hunter weighs about 1/4 more. Nice rifle for the money.

The only problem I have is the DBM. Darn thing get real tough to feel at 3 rounds. Not sure why the engineers didn’t give it a hair more room.

belly-deep, my kimber had same problem. after much back and forth kimber finally replaced the action...

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back