Kimber 84M

VAOutdoors

Looking for a new rifle and thought I had found it in a Tikka 25-06 but today I discovered a nice Kimber Hunter chambered in 308. I haven’t heard a lot about the kimber but what I have seen is about 50/50. Anyone on here have experience with one? Also looking at putting a Leupold VX2 4-12 x40 in whichever I decide on.

I have a Kimber Hunter in a .243 and a Montana in a .300 WSM. Love them both. They are light and accurate. Kicking around getting a Montana in .280 Ack.

I have had a Montana in .308 since they first made them. Very accurate. I had to tweak the magazine spring some when I first got it but it feed well now. I would thhink the detachable mag would be even better. Its a great action. Mine is very accurate. The one is all I have had. I could get by with it as my only rifle. I like the VX3 2.5-8 on that size rifle. 6.2 lbs with scope ammo and sling.

Good luck,
Ted

I have a Montana and a Hunter. The Hunter weighs about 1/4 more. Nice rifle for the money.

The only problem I have is the DBM. Darn thing get real tough to feel at 3 rounds. Not sure why the engineers didn’t give it a hair more room.

Google "kimber roulette"

My brother has a great Montana though in 270. His previous 300 wsm was one of the misses.

This is what I am seeing. I can get the rifle for under $700 brand new. If it’s a shooter it’s definitely worth it but if I’m constantly sending it back then I should look elsewhere.

I have a 84L in 30-06. Love that rifle. Some of the best craftsmanship I’ve seen on a mass produced rifle. Shoots me handloads far better than I can.

This is what I am seeing. I can get the rifle for under $700 brand new. If it’s a shooter it’s definitely worth it but if I’m constantly sending it back then I should look elsewhere.

Pay your money, take your chances
$1,100 for a 1-1/2" rifle that wouldn't feed.

Kimber 84M

a (2).JPG

IMG_2295.jpg

Last edited:
I have a grand total of 9 Kimbers, mostly Montanas. Only one was finicky, but I found a couple loads that will shoot 1.5 MOA and one that will do about 3/4.

The rest were easy to get to shoot, and a couple were sub MOA with the first load I tried.

I would venture to guess that if you bought 9 of any rifle, you’d get one that was squirrelly.

I’ve never heard of “Ruger Roulette” but in my experience anything older than a Hawkeye is much more likely to give poor accuracy than a Kimber.

I own two Kimber rifles. Unless you handload I'd purchase one in a commonly produced cartridge. The light barrels can be finicky and there is a chance you'll need to search for a load that your gun likes. They are nice to carry in the field.

If you do get one that has difficulty feeding you want to check the mag spring to make sure the rear of the case is biased more than the front by the mag spring. Early 84m models had the left feed rail cut a little too far towards the rear of the action IME. Also check to see that the ejector length is not causing the tip of the bullet to hit the action before being rearward enough to clear the front of the ejection port. That appears to me to be what happened to WapitiBob's bullet. Maybe it was something else. I was able to remedy both of these problems on my rifle without sending it back and I am not a gunsmith.

Looking for a new rifle and thought I had found it in a Tikka 25-06 but today I discovered a nice Kimber Hunter chambered in 308. I haven’t heard a lot about the kimber but what I have seen is about 50/50. Anyone on here have experience with one? Also looking at putting a Leupold VX2 4-12 x40 in whichever I decide on.

I just bought this very gun and received it this past wednesday. have not put any rounds through it, but once i have a scope on it the break in and sighting will commence and i will update this thread with my results, I would also recommend investing in the vx-3 line, as i have a vx-2 and it has served me well but the one piece tube design of the vx-3 is nicer and has less chance of problems with the nitrogen purging having more areas to leak from and the glass is a bit nicer. thats just my two cents though.

Glad this Kimber thread is up because I will decide this saturday If I get one or not. Can't find a Howa Mountain rifle, yes i know it's been discontinued. Been looking hard on the internet at the Kimber Hunter at two nearby stores. But I have a question for actual Kimber Hunter owners. One store shows it weighing 5lbs 10ozs and the other shows it at 5lbs 6ozs. Which is right? I've been looking at the Winchester XPR Vias in .308 also which weighs 6lbs 1oz. Winchester is offering a $75 rebate. Don't know if the 7 oz difference is worth the roughly $400 dollar difference in price. I told my wife this would be the last big game rifle i would be buying. She got quite a big chuckle out of that comment.LOL

Glad this Kimber thread is up because I will decide this saturday If I get one or not. Can't find a Howa Mountain rifle, yes i know it's been discontinued. Been looking hard on the internet at the Kimber Hunter at two nearby stores. But I have a question for actual Kimber Hunter owners. One store shows it weighing 5lbs 10ozs and the other shows it at 5lbs 6ozs. Which is right? I've been looking at the Winchester XPR Vias in .308 also which weighs 6lbs 1oz. Winchester is offering a $75 rebate. Don't know if the 7 oz difference is worth the roughly $400 dollar difference in price. I told my wife this would be the last big game rifle i would be buying. She got quite a big chuckle out of that comment.LOL

I bought a xpr in 243 awhile back. I’ve only had it out twice, but here’s what I will say - the first time out I couldn’t get anything to group really. The last time out I got some fusions to group sort of, maybe t needs more break in. I will be putting some handload a together for it and we’ll see how it goes.

Specs are on Kimbers website. Weights vary by action length and the size of the hole in the barrel.

20180208_213445.jpg

Hunter in 308 with a VX2 4-12*40 and Talley lightweights like OP was thinking.

Put a box thru it here this past weekend and was incredibly pleased with the accuracy. Less pleased with how much it beat up my shoulder even in a 308. But I guess that's the trade off for a light gun!

Satchamo that’s exactly what I am going for. How does yours feed? Do you feel that the magazine is hard to get 3 rounds into and also is the bolt hard to cycle with magazine loaded?

Back