Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Hows the hunting near Libby MT

HuntMT16

Im in the process of applying for a job in the Libby MT area. I've checked FWP harvest reports, regulations, checked Montana cadastral (looking at how much public land there is) and now I am hoping for some boots on the ground input. I'm NOT looking for honey holes or anything like that. Im just trying to figure out what to expect for an experience hunter (from the Bozeman MT area) can expect when hunting on foot in the area. Maybe if most of the hunting is hunting thick timber or if there are good areas of more open rolling hills, how much pressure the deer get, etc.

Also, according to the harvest reports, the deer harvested in the area of typically around 90% whitetails and 10% Mule Deer. Is there good mule deer hunting in the area, are there so many whitetails killed as opposed to Mule deer just from easy creek bottom hunting, or are there just not alot of Mule Deer in the area?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Harvest stats pretty much tell all. Not a lot of mule deer.

But it’s great whitetail country. When in Rome....

Lots of land available to hunt. Thick timber. Not really the Custer National Forest type glass for miles. More excited to break out of timber to glass a park within. Then back to timber for the next little /moderate sized park.
Of course this is a vague generalization and there are exceptions. Muleys are there though whitetail in the NW MT area greatly outnumber muleys... Ease of access to hunt one over the other play a good part of that.
Cabinet range is beautiful and hold muleys though again, vague is mostly the info you might receive. Hope this helps. Suggest chatting with range biologists to get a more defined understanding.
Best to you and your employment opportunity. Always good to get a general feel. Little Intel is better than no Intel. :)

You can expect to see lots of hunters utilizing roads, and way less people hunting the steep terrain, and it is very steep in spots. Can be good whitetail hunting in the rut, and good spring bear hunting. Libby seems to far enough out that the hunting pressure drops once you get 50-70 miles away from Kalispell. I hunt over there a little each fall, and always seem to find whitetails and a few pockets of mule deer. You are leaving a better region for elk and mule deer. I earned that driving to 3 to 5 hours to Region 4 or 3 increases the number of elk and mule deer seen. I got the buck below in 30 minutes of hunting last November and was just over .3 mile from the road, it was a lot of luck. I walked up on him the timber at 50-60 yards. Good luck on the job. Preston

Attachments

• 1109170853.jpg
    1109170853.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 479
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back