Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Nevada DOW New Bonus Point Data Format

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
For those who have applied in Nevada and always wanted to know how many people were applying in your units as their 2nd-5th choices, by point level, they are now doing that this year. And it shows just who hard it is to draw a tag in Nevada and how challenging it is to determine what your true odds are.

Link here - http://www.ndow.org/Hunt/Resources/Bonus_Point_Data/

Another reason why I am a big fan of the goHUNT INSIDER draw odds that actually go through the effort to calculate these ridiculously complex Nevada draw odds. I'm a numbers guy with a pretty strong background in stats/prob, but these Nevada numbers are far beyond anything I really would want to interpret.

Here is an example. The yellow highlight is my app from last year. Looks like I lucked out and somehow got a low random number without having any points.
NV Example.jpg

I have been looking at them as well.

My unprofessional opinion is that you just need to get lucky and draw a low number, regardless of points.

I had a sheep unit down with 12 points as my first choice. No one drew that tag as their first choice!

Thanks, I hadn't seen this. So it looks like I was the only one who drew a tag last year in my area with that area as 1st choice....but it hurts my head! It does illustrate though how long it takes to draw an elk tag. With this long waiting period already built into the system, unless you get incredibly lucky, I wish they would drop the 7 years or at least drastically reduce it. At 57, last year was quite probably my last NV bull hunt. Sad thought.....

I’ve considered jumping in the game for NV elk. I haven’t really looked close at crunching the numbers. Are the draw odds in line with UT or worse? And can a license be used two yrs to apply like AZ and UT? I drew UT last yr so I can’t apply there and I’m kinda looking to add another trophy long term application to my draw strategy. Any thoughts much appreciated! I have briefly looked at some of the elk hunts in NV and some seem to have decent odds or at least not an extremely high number of ppl applying. Are all NV elk units or hunt groups at least decent and have elk and I assume have good access? I would only apply prolly for the least sought after hunts is why I ask. Honestly I’m very familiar with a lot of other elk states if I can help anyone but I just hadn’t devoted much time to NV yet as u can prolly tell! Ha!

Last edited:
Thanks, I hadn't seen this. So it looks like I was the only one who drew a tag last year in my area with that area as 1st choice....but it hurts my head! It does illustrate though how long it takes to draw an elk tag. With this long waiting period already built into the system, unless you get incredibly lucky, I wish they would drop the 7 years or at least drastically reduce it. At 57, last year was quite probably my last NV bull hunt. Sad thought.....

So you want to make it harder to draw a bull tag by not having a waiting period when it's already hard enough to draw? Our elk numbers are not high enough. 7 years is better than the 10 years I had to wait after I got my bull in 1996.

Thomas11- The odds for non-res are pretty long but if you draw a tag there really are no bad elk units in NV. Draw a tag and you have a good chance at a big bull.
Even the depredation hunts produce some very big bulls though they usually have very low success rates.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back