Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Arriving Late for Antelope Hunt?

Cerebral Stalker

How much of a concern is it if our group arrives about 4-5 days after the type 6/7 antelope season starts in Wyoming?

The season starts in August, and I was just wondering if showing up a little late is going to make it any harder to fill tags. I am guessing it's not a big deal, but I would just like your guy's opinion.

Thanks in advance.

Don't worry about it, they'll be more spooky and it'll make stalking a little more difficult but it won't degrade your chance at success. Last year I waited until the week after rifle started to go out for my type 1 and filled it with no issues. Best advice I can give you is to get off the roads and hike, you'll be hunting educated pronghorn. Good luck and make sure you have OnX maps if you're hiking into access!

Usually the first few days can be pretty crowded with the opening day hunters. I like to wait a few days as it sure cuts down on the human traffic. I think you will be fine!

I have only hunted Wyoming pronghorn opening weekend once. Never again. Last year I took my 15 YO daughter to wyoming 3 weeks after the opening and we never saw another hunter in our unit and sifted through over 100 bucks before we found a shooter.

As others have said later is not usually a problem, if there is good amounts of public land. I hunted a unit that took a bunch of points to draw a buck tag but I had doe tags last year, got there 10 or so days late and had a blast. I think if you did that in the north or north east units a lot of antelope would be pushed to private. At least that's what I notice from hunting opening day to 5 days later in the limited access units. Good luck.

I always try to be late for the Wyoming pronghorn opener. Avoiding the crowds in more important than being the first to knock down a buck. I've never failed to fill my tags in Wyoming either, and that's after quite a few trips and always on public.

If you're hunting does and just filling tags with the first buck you see...not a big deal at all.

If you're serious about killing a big buck, waiting even a couple minutes can make all the difference and anyone telling you otherwise if full of crap.

I can tell you for 100% fact, this buck here:

IMG_0667.JPG

Which my wife shot about 10 minutes into the season would have been on another hunters wall if we would have waited even a few more minutes. I didn't even know that another very serious pronghorn hunter was going after this buck. We got lucky and beat him to the punch, literally watched this buck until it was too dark to see the evening before opening day. Found it the next morning in the exact same spot and didn't waste time getting him killed.

IMG_0702.JPG

I went out by myself during the opener last year - saw a reasonable amount and filled my tags. Killed a 78"buck. Took my wife out a week before the season closed - saw way more than I saw on the opener, and she ended up killing an 82" buck.

Thanks everyone! Our group will feel a lot more comfortable showing up a little late now. Congratulations to your wife BuzzH! That lope has some character!

I usually get a couple doe tags in area that opens 15 aug. I dont even hunt them till we get cold mornings so meat aint as big of deal. Never made it to lunch time without filling those tags... i think waiting is actually better

It depends on the unit, if its one of those limiting areas you can hunt, I have seen those areas get pounded an none be around a week later.

I always try to be late for the Wyoming pronghorn opener. Avoiding the crowds in more important than being the first to knock down a buck. I've never failed to fill my tags in Wyoming either, and that's after quite a few trips and always on public.

100% Agreed we avoid opener and have plenty of opportunity to harvest pronghorn and hardly see anyone else out.

I avoid the WY antelope opener like the plague, but I am more interested in a good experience over shooting a bruiser. We have never had a problem with opportunities at nice animals. If a big one is your goal, listen to Buzz.

I never hunt any opening days or weekends no matter where it is. I hunted an opening rifle season in Wyoming for antelope a while back and the place was like a warzone. In my opinion, most of the locals are weekend warrior types or the first few days of the season. Last time I went to Wyoming I hunted the 3rd week of the season and had the place to myself and still saw plenty of antelope and killed a really nice buck. The opening of archery and rifle antelope seasons here in CO where I hunt are crazy the first few days. I still do ok waiting a few days to get in and hunt. Don't worry about missing the opener.

I'd be with those that say it depends on what you want from your hunt. A scouted monster might best be taken at first light but in my experience, there are still going to be PLENTY of bucks to look over in the later season. Last year i hunted the last 10 days of a Wy unit not known for trophy quality but where there was potential. We looked at Lots of Lope Bucks and on the tenth day of the hunt, i ended up shooting the largest racked, most mature animal that we had found. He had a busted prong that i figure kept him out of the Records Book. No Matter, but that can happen when you hunt later, some of the better, the "Top quality" animals have already been taken and you are left with the best of the rest.

If going after the opener, give those Pronghorn hunts a full Week or more time while leaving the rifle cased for the first couple or few days. You'll enjoy the hunt more than just going and filling your tag .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back