Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Rifle upgrade help? Currently BLR 300wsm.. Looking at Hells Canyon LR 28 nosler

Badger_55

So I have been staring at the Browning Hells Canyon LR and Speed rifles. I am torn between keeping and upgrading my scope on my 300wsm BLR to get extended ranges on it vs buying a Hells Canyon Xbolt. I really like the 28 nosler ballistics over everything else they are putting out in their xbolts. I plan on it being my elk rifle.
The big questions for you guys is this; I can shoot sub moa groups at 200 with my BLR but I am really looking for that 600-800yd consistent capability. I currently have a VX3 3.5-10x50 on it, so I could send it in to Leupold and get a CDS put on it for 240.00 or go and purchase that Hells Canyon Long Range rifle that I really like and put some higher power optics on it. I do use a scabbard a lot when I am out there but again really looking for that consistent 600-800 yd range.
Then if I were to go with a new rifle I am still questioning the caliber. I like the 28 nosler, but I reallize there is limited rescources if you are not a loader and I am scared about burning up my barrel, should I be? I have a friend who could reload for me.
I dont really want to go with another 300wsm, hate having same caliber rifles in the cabinet.
300 win mag ballistics seem lesser than 28 nosler, this is the original caliber I was looking at though. I talked to a guy at the gun shop and he tried steering me towards the 300wsm option but I am just not sure.

Any help from you guys on here would be appreciated.
Thanks

You do realize the 28 is more RUM’ish? ; )

I’d do the 28, just because I like fast heavy .284 projectiles.

Yeah, but I'm a .30 kind of guy. If the OP really wants to get serious, a RUM in either diameter would be perfect. mtmuley

Yeah, but I'm a .30 kind of guy. If the OP really wants to get serious, a RUM in either diameter would be perfect. mtmuley

I really like the x-bolt and Ive watched my father all my life do some work with his 7mm mag. I do trust the projectile. I have been a 30 guy too but I really like the speed and energy the 28 brings downrange.
But so far I take it if you guys were me you wouldnt put all your eggs into the 300wsm BLR for consistent long range accuracy being a lever?

A 300wm handloaded will be really close to the performance of a 28nosler. Plus nosler brass for 300wm is half the price of 28 nosler and 28 nosler ammo is stupid expensive. Based on my experience, a 300wm hand loaded will give you 100-150 fps over a 300wsm in 180 gr bullets.

Dont get the 28 nosler, you will reget in few seasons if you did.

Why is that ccc23454?

I have a friend that could handload for me but it would seem to be a pain... but I could always buy a few boxes and shoot them and hand him those for loading...'

thanks for the quick posts

For a non-reloader I'd look at the 7 Rem Mag or 300 Win Mag as far as chamberings if I was wanting a 600-800yd elk rifle. More factory options in the type of ammo needed for that type of shooting. Then again, I'm not aware of too many that hunt at those distances that don't handload...

I'd worry more about the tracking of a scope than the magnification.

I was planning on putting the VX6 3-18 on whatever I purchase. Anyone familiar with the BLR? Its a fun gun.. Ive dropped deer at 475 with it. Just would expect it to lack accuracy. Light weight and 22in barrel.

In the long run as long as its bringing an ethical force out to an elk at 800 Im all for looking at recommended calibers. I really have no issue with not handloading as ive shot nosler accubonds trophy grades for awhile now and I have never been disappointed.

I'd go with a standard like 7mag or 300 WM. Either will do the job if you do yours and components/ammo are cheaper and easy to find.

Buy it, the Hell's canyon Speed is an awesome rifle, you'll be happy.

The ballistics on the 28 Nosler are impressive, but I couldn't justify the added cost of the reloading components, and factory ammo is even worse.(https://www.midwayusa.com/product/7...8-nosler-160-grain-accubond-spitzer-box-of-20). So I have a 300WM and 7Mag that I shoot long range with. But if you can swing it, go for it.

Most importantly, make sure you practice at those distances until you reach a level of consistency with your weapon before you go slinging lead at game. It takes alot of skill to make ethical shots at those ranges.

Last edited:
I was planning on putting the VX6 3-18 on whatever I purchase. Anyone familiar with the BLR? Its a fun gun.. Ive dropped deer at 475 with it. Just would expect it to lack accuracy. Light weight and 22in barrel.

In the long run as long as its bringing an ethical force out to an elk at 800 Im all for looking at recommended calibers. I really have no issue with not handloading as ive shot nosler accubonds trophy grades for awhile now and I have never been disappointed.
The 300 WSM has more than enough "force" (whatever that is ;) ) for the distances your interested in. Put a scope on it capable of shooting to those distances (compensation for drop/windage is more important than magnification) and see how you do. You are obviously happy with the rifle and the new gun money will buy a lot of ammo to practice with or get you setup for hand loading.

I like the BLR's ratcheted bolt movement and box mag features...and it's a good looking rifle. My "gut" says 400 consistently and further calls for a bolt. I've steadily creeped the top-X's up on scopes from 10 on VX3 to 12 on VX6/VXR and now to 15 on a VX5. I have no problem accepting the efficacy of the 300 Win Short as a long range choice.

1. Go 300wm, for the reasons above.
2. Go Browning xbolt, see reviews on here and internet.
3. Do what makes you happy.

I'm with everyone else. I hand-load, but if I didn't I'd go with 300 or 7mag.

Also, may I suggest taking a look at the regular LR Stalker. I ended up going that direction instead of the hells canyon. Seems to be same rifle minus flutes and cerakote... which you can add on your own later and save yourself some coin in the process... and you get to pick the color! If you end up going speed, make sure you look at the "western hunter" versions. Another option to save a hundred or two... they make one in blued and one in stainless.

Thanks for all the help... still waiting on some prices for my 2 abolts i have. Once i get those 2 sold I will be searching for xbolt. I think im going to go with the Hell's Canyon Long Range over Speed. The top 3 are those two and Western Hunter. Caliber wise id probably be smart going with the 300 win. Ive kicked around the idea of 300wsm, just so i can have my BLR out there with me for a back up and have exchangeable rounds. Kinda seems like the 28 nos was maybe a dream.

If you are thinking about a 300 and maybe a .28 then look at a .30 Nosler. I have one. Dont listen to all the people who think the .30 Nosler is another 300. I have a .300WM I have hunted for years and killed several elk with. I wanted more energy without having to shoot a .338. Look at the energy and velocity differences using the 210ABLR vs. whatever 180 grain 300WM load you want ( or even a 300Weatherby). Go to a heavier .300 load and it even shows itself more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back