Kodiak - Lodge - Deer

Botch

Planning 2019 Kodiak deer hunt.

Wanting it to be self guided and looking for a lodge. Yes I used the Googles, and yes there are lots of them (lodges/charters). Just wondering if anyone had some personal experience they are willing to share. We are heavily leaning towards a lodge over a boat charter; as there are just the 2 of us and we are slightly concerned with getting paired on a 6pack.

When I say Kodiak, I am specifically looking for a lodge on Raspberry, willing to considering Afognak as a local friend of mine suggested that the 2016/2017 winter decimated the deer population on the southern part of Kodiak proper.

Thanks in advance everyone.

I've been meaning to post some pictures and a write up about my Kodiak trip last fall. Myself and three others went to zachar bay and had a blast. I would have to agree with your friend on the severe winter kill during the previous winter. We came home with a total of 9 deer but the other guys in camp didn't have the same success we had. I think you are on the right track to hunt Afognak. Although I heard the farther south a guy went the better the deer population was. We also stayed in a lodge/ self guided setting. It was a lot of fun. Kodiak should be on everybody's bucket list.

I would email every lodge your interested in. I think they would hopefully give you an honest answer as far as the population and how this winter is looking. 2019 could be good timing for better numbers. Good luck.

I hunted out of Kodiak Adventuers lodge in 2016. Excellent in every way. Email them and ask how the deer population is.

Hunted out of Raspberry Island Remote Lodge November 2017 (excellent place to stay if it’s on your list). Hunted self-guided on both Raspberry and SW Afognak. Deer numbers were very low due to winter kill. Guys that hunted Kodiak did much better than folks in our area. 7 hunters saw three deer in a week during our stay. Every party we talked to that hunted Kodiak killed multiple deer, and much nicer bucks than what we were seeing farther north. Good luck on the planning...it was still a blast!

Last edited:
Kodiak winter kills happen (somewhat) regularly. They usually are not island wide, but more regional. Winter kill (if any) won't be known until late spring - after bear season. Last year, the further south on the island you went, the more deer you'd see and some great bucks were harvested.
I'm uncertain what your fear of a boat based hunt was - all the boat based hunts that I am aware of are far larger than the 6-pack sized vessels. They typically host 8-10 hunters and are not crowded at all.
Check out Kodiak Combos for a lodge based hunt out of Old Harbor.

I hunted out of Kodiak Adventuers lodge in 2016. Excellent in every way. Email them and ask how the deer population is.

How was your experience with the transporter? I know someone else who used them in 2017 and had a good hunt but a very negative experience with the staff.

How was your experience with the transporter? I know someone else who used them in 2017 and had a good hunt but a very negative experience with the staff.

Huh. Larry and Shelley run a pretty tight ship. When I went there was just those two and their son running the place. I had no issues at all with the operation. Everything was top notch. I'm planning on going back in a couple years.

Huh. Larry and Shelley run a pretty tight ship. When I went there was just those two and their son running the place. I had no issues at all with the operation. Everything was top notch. I'm planning on going back in a couple years.

That is good to hear, my hunting partner and I were considering them as a backup next year if we can’t get on with 40-mile air for a caribou hunt. But we were reconsidering after hearing about their experience. They said it was just Larry who was the issue and that he treated everyone like children the whole time. They said he also refused to take them out the last day when the weather was initially forecasted to be questionable but cleared up later in the week. I wasn’t there, so I can’t say for sure but they had enough examples to scare me off. I am glad to hear you had such a great experience with them though and would use them again.

Thanks for all the insight. I did call John Cry with ADFW on Kodiak. Great guy. Shard some info on winter kills. Said it mainly affected the north western side. Still researchin have a few more months before I probably need to book something.

Back