Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Rank your meat

Based on what I've shot:

1. Whitetail Fawn (spots and all)
2. Pronghorn
3. Elk
4. Caribou
5. Whitetail adult
6. Black Bear (higher based on flavor, but the need to cook it to higher temps knocks it down the list)
7. Moose
8. Mule Deer

Last edited:
Based on what I've shot:

1. Whitetail Fawn (spots and all)
2. Pronghorn
3. Elk
4. Caribou
5. Black Bear (higher based on flavor, but the need to cook it to higher temps knocks it down the list)
6. Moose
7. Mule Deer

That was just for big game. If I add in all the game I've killed:

1. Fox Squirrel
2. Whitetail Fawn (spots and all)
3. Turkey
4. Pronghorn
5. Elk
6. Caribou
7. Rabbits
8. Hungarian Partridge
9. Sharp-tailed Grouse
10. Pheasant
11. Black Bear (higher based on flavor, but the need to cook it to higher temps knocks it down the list)
12. Moose
13. Ducks
14. Mule Deer
15. Swan
16. Canada Goose
17. Snow Goose

In order or preference

Elk (burger)
Elk tenderloin
Elk rounds & strap
Beef
Smoked pork (domestic or feral)
Dove/quail (not store bought quail)
Local catfish, striped bass, crappie, sand bass
Shell seafood
Flying rib-eyes
Mountain trout....
Moose & axis are on my list to try

Smoked baloney (yea I know how it's made & still like it)

Elk
Antelope
Dove
Whitetail
Pheasant/Quail
Wild pig
Moose
Grouse
Squirrel
Rabbit
Duck/Goose
Mule Deer

Before I moved to Wyoming I used to travel to hunt elk, deer and antelope, now that I live here I travel even further to find dove and quail and higher numbers of pheasant! Never ate bear, but it's on my list to try.

noharleyyet: I'm right there with ya on the smoked baloney. I've got to pick what I want out first before the spawn get a hold of it. It doesn't last long.

Last edited:
Antelope loins grilled in antelope camp.
Sizzling Sharptail, red pepper, and onion fajitas.
Nothing whatsoever made with duck.........

Then I will have a piece of rare marinaded duck tasting duck.
Besides, I can think of no more boring type of hunting than sitting in a hole/boat/field etc. on one's fat ass waiting for some birds to fly over:D
But that is a whole different thread altogether, and folks may need to disagree:D
Back to the meat!

Antelope has always been my favorite, but I was lucky enough to go on an alaska moose hunt this year and that is some great tasting steak. Still probably 1)antelope (2)moose (3)elk (4)whitetail (5)bear (6)mule deer

1) whitetail
2) turkey
3) rabbit
4) duck
5) antelope
6) wild pig
7) elk
8) mule deer

Last edited:
1. Antelope
2. Elk
3. Mule deer
4. Black Bear
5. Bighorn Sheep
6. Cottontail Rabbit & Grouse & Pheasant
7. Mountain Lion
8. Moose
9. Whitetail deer

I've ate just about everything mentioned from North America. But I gotta add cat ( Lynx and Mountain Lion ) I had some barbecued Lynx that was outstanding. And from what I hear there is no shortage of takers for Mountain Lion when one is taken.

Just an fyi for you mountain lion eaters out there. Check out page 44 of this document.
1971-1989 in Montana, 899 lions tested for tric. 54% positive, from 15% in R5(Billings area) to 70.3% positive in R1 (Kalispell area).
Not being an alarmist whatsoever - just wonder how many out there know about this stuff. I Know folks who eat lion, not a one who came down "with the cramps real hard". Personally, I'll pass on the offer of the tasty lion jerky...............
Interesting info out there if you look for it..................

The link I tried to attach didn't work, but google "incidence of trichinosis in mountain lions" click on the MFWP final EIS document about 8 entries down the list......

Last edited:
Just had javelina for the first time tonight. I have to put between elk and whitetails. Damn good. A lot like warthog.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back