MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Rank your meat

1-young elk
2-elk
3-old elk
4-lope (best sauage meat and straps marinade great)
5-whitetails
6-any roadkill less than week old
7-muleys

But almost all can be fair with right seasoning/cooking....crockpot fine game cooking device

That's not fair, I didn't know we could go prepared.

Freemans General store west of Creede Colorado during a fine high country elk hunt.

You cannot eat that burger driving down the road.

If you can eat a burger while driving, it ain't a proper burger. Sorry, I went prepared without permission. mtmuley

1-young elk
2-elk
3-old elk
4-lope (best sauage meat and straps marinade great)
5-whitetails
6-any roadkill less than week old
7-muleys

But almost all can be fair with right seasoning/cooking....crockpot fine game cooking device

Interesting to see young elk (if by young you mean calf) listed as a #1. I have eaten calf on a few occasions and found it to be absolutely lacking any flavor whatsoever. Unless of course you're one of those folks claiming that a calf can be a calf, a yearling calf, or (yes, have even heard of ) a 2 year old calf - then I stand corrected:rolleyes:.......

Whitetail
Moose
Elk
Mule deer
Antelope
—Big gap
Black bear
Antelope burger sucks. Great for jerky though. If I grilled you guys a steak of each species excluding bear, you couldn’t tell me which is which. (If they were all relatively the same age)

Last edited:
If you can eat a burger while driving, it ain't a proper burger. Sorry, I went prepared without permission. mtmuley

Oh I'm with you. The first time I tried had to pull over. All the sauteed onions and fixens against the butter grilled bun just slip out, no sir, you need a proper table and some napkins!

Our family was lucky enough to put elk, antelope, mule deer, mountain goat and a couple sheep in the freezer this season.... I am a fan of all of them, but in order.

Sheep (ewes)
Elk
Antelope
Mountain Goat
Mule Deer

Though I am pretty sure you could drop off a pile of dead skunks and gophers Pioneer Meats in Big Timber, and pick up the best tasting brats on the planet. Just saying.....

If that’s the case, the best burger I’ve ever had was at Holly’s Saloon in McLeod, Montana.

Hmmm. Never been there. Yet. To answer the question, antelope fed on grain North of Shelby are damn good. mtmuley

If guys can enter restaurant burgers into this....

I've never had fresh caught halibut, but a friend brings me caught/flash frozen, gotten to BozeAngeles ASAP from the boat in AK. It's like crack cocaine,fresh prepared on the deck or in the galley of the boat must be...
Hungarian Partridge breasts, sliced, battered, fried crisp and dipped in honey.
Good old fashioned "shore Lunch" Walleye fillets Period - the Gunflint Trail and BWCA never completely leaves you ...........

Back to big four leggeds and yukky:p beef burgers.......

Last edited:
1. Pronghorn
2. Elk
3. Whitetail
4. Moose
5. Mule Deer
6. Black Bear
7. Mtn Goat

Because this is a big game list I omitted grouse. But a big male Blue Grouse could compete for the finest fair chase protein I’ve ever eaten.

1) Nutria
2) Rabbit
3) Squirrel
4) Goose
5) Deer/wild pig
6) Dove
7) Duck

All are delicious. But some you have to put extra effort into making it that way. Others come naturally. I’ve only recently quit giving away most of the ducks I kill. Just never cared for them until I figured out my own method that came out good.

I've never ate a mule deer and too little elk to rank, but would rank a good young-ish whitetail way up there. Esp one that comes off ag fields. Of the two antelope I've eaten one was delicious and one had to be brined over several days to make it edible. I did spend a summer in Ak several years back where moose was a staple and it was great as well as I can remember. Our archery season here starts the last week in September and runs over a month. I usually try to get a couple of nice fat does during that time and they get me through the year. An 80-100 doe raised up on a summer soybean fields makes fine table fare.

1) Nutria
2) Rabbit
3) Squirrel
4) Goose
5) Deer/wild pig
6) Dove
7) Duck

All are delicious. But some you have to put extra effort into making it that way. Others come naturally. I’ve only recently quit giving away most of the ducks I kill. Just never cared for them until I figured out my own method that came out good.

Nutria? Really? I want to hear more about that. We’ve got plenty around here...

And not a lot of love for mule deer on this thread. I tend to like it every bit as much as elk.

Elk
Deer (coastal blacktails,southern NM mulies) ...sage eaters move down the list.
Wild Pig
Antelope
Moose (Can be real rich like liver,yuk)
Wild Turkey (Can move way up the list)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zjzeuske
Back