Caribou Gear

BH 209 & Proper Cleaning

I have now gone back to 777 pellets and can happily report that the hangfire issue is no more. I bought the new Hogdon Starfire pellets and look forward to trying those.

I’m just sad that I didn’t figure out that THE problem all along was the 209. My advice, if you’re having issues, ditch the 209. Whatever gains that may be had with it aren’t worth the problems. Use something else and simplify your life... my humble, hard & costly learned opinion.

I have now gone back to 777 pellets and can happily report that the hangfire issue is no more. I bought the new Hogdon Starfire pellets and look forward to trying those.

I’m just sad that I didn’t figure out that THE problem all along was the 209. My advice, if you’re having issues, ditch the 209. Whatever gains that may be had with it aren’t worth the problems. Use something else and simplify your life... my humble, hard & costly learned opinion.

The problem was your breech plug not the BH 209. Many people use it with great results. Also why CVA even makes a special breech plug for it because it is so popular. Some people simply are not able to figure out what is going on.

If you are happy with what you use that's great but BH209 has advantages over alternatives like 777. Many people swab between shots with 777. I keep shooting with BH 209 without cleaning. Even 20 shots is no big deal.

Good article on the subject.
http://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/blackhorn-209-vs-777-vs-goex-black-powder/

PrairieHunter:

Thanks for the article. It was a good comparison of the many facets of the various powders.

Yes, my issue was likely the breech plug. But, I pull the trigger, not engineer the guns. My other issue was how I cleaned the gun. While BH209 requires the use of oil based solvents, oils are strictly taboo for other black powder substitutes as far as I know. At least with the stuff I have used. In my cleaning regiment, oils are NEVER, EVER used in a muzzgun bore. That's done with Bore Butter. Oil stays on the outside of the gun. I think that where they sell 209, they should sell the recommended cleaners right next to it. Should also be a large warning label - like half of the back of the container!

Anyhow, my 209 days are done forever and then some. Yes, many folks use it and like it, good for them. I'm looking forward to trying out the StarFire pellets.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back