MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

260 rem VS 6.5 creed

tmvikings

From what I can gather these two rounds are very, very similar with the 260 have a slightly longer case for more powder. The 260 is great for hand loaders and the Creedmoor has factory ammo at most sporting goods stores. What would you go with if it was you? I found a good deal on a 260 but I don't currently reload. Also would you consider 500 rounds through a rifle too much to buy used?
Thanks

260 would be my choice. I wouldn’t think 500 down the tube in a 260 would be considered too many.

260 ammo is out there just not as common but if you ever do reload 260 way to go, brass is super easy and cheap to find its just basically 308/243/7mm08 brass necked to 264. Federal and hornady both make good target and hunt loads that i have used in my 260 and 500 round is nothing in my opinion. Either the 260 or 6.5 are fun easy shooting deer sized killing rifle, get it!

Get the 260. There is plenty of ammo out there for it but I recommend stocking up as it can be sparse at times. I also recommend looking into reloading.

Because . . . . . . ? I am sincerely interested in knowing the pros/cons of one vs the other (setting aside man buns or just being different).

A few years ago I went through this debate, and this is what I came up with as the differences (they are subtle, almost to the point of irrelevance)

260:
-based on the 308 so brass is almost limitless
-shallower shoulder angle = theoretically will feed smoother
-When I purchased mine it had more factory loads available with what I perceived to be tough hunting bullets

6.5 Creed:
-shorter/fatter case with a steeper shoulder to fit similar powder in a shorter case which allows for longer/higher BC bullets to be loaded and still fit in a standard length magazine.
-when I purchased there were pretty much just match bullets loaded in factory ammo.

For my purposes I chose the 260. As Hornady's marketing machine goes, and the Creed having a more badass name, it seems like the tables have turned on the 260. I am seeing more and more of what I would classify as tough hunting bullets available.

He mentions he can get a good deal on the 260 so that's my reason. Flip a coin they are basically the same.

The 260 has potential to be a superior cartridge based on case capacity however as bullets get heavier (longer) they occupy more of the case than the creedmoor so you get a law of diminishing returns that comes into play at around 140(ish) grains. With heavier bullets the 260 will likely still hold a 50fps edge while using 1 grain more powder. If you have a longer throat on the 260 and have the magazine length the 260 will shine with a reloader especially if you have an Ackley Improved chamber.

Both are great calibers, I shoot a 260 both in competition and in a hunting rifle. I'd say the performance differences are so minimal as to not be a factor in the choice. From what I see in my area if you're going to buy factory ammo, I'd recommend the 6.5 Creedmoor. If you reload, then I'd base my choice on the specific gun you're looking at. Although, if the specific gun available doesn't sway you, I'd go with Creedmoor for better loaded ammo and reloading components availability, from what I see here. The 6.5 will have better support from both ammo and gun makers going forward.

My local store has two .260 loads, one 6.5X55, and probably a dozen 6.5CM with options as low as $20.

I went with CM because ammo options are far superior. Walmart has it. Never seen .260 at Walmart.

I've had both, like them both. The platform (make/model) would be far more important to me between the two than the clambering.

Creedmoor and 260 have the same head size. You can make Creedmoor brass from any brass that 260 can be made from including 260. While the 260 case is slightly longer the overall length of the case means bullets will need to be seated further into the case giving slight, if any, advantage to the Creedmoor. The Creedmoor's sharper shoulder angle means it will be slightly easier on barrels. Probably a non factor for a hunting gun. For hunting they are the same thing. If you can get a smoking deal on a 260 go for it. But as others have stated the Creedmoor will be better supported in every way. For hunting the 6.5x55 is the top intermediate 6.5 but it takes a 3 or 3.1" length action and it is not well supported in the US.

Best regards,
Ted

From what I have read is that the creedmoor is superior in the sense that you will get better performance from longer heavier bullets(which is one of the major reasons for 6.5mm popularity.)

I've always liked the .260. I almost bought one before the 6.5 came on the scene. IMO Remington failed miserably in the marketing of the .260. Conversely, Hornady has capitalized on the marketing front for the 6.5.

As other's have said, in real world scenarios the difference is probably negligible. I think the 6.5 is here to stay, and if I didn't reload I would probably go with the 6.5. But if I had a good deal on a .260 I would jump on it too.

if 500 rounds down the barrel it to much my 260 should not be able to shoot 1/2 Moa, but it does and has and shows no sign of loosing any of its very fine accuracy

I love gun talk - sounds like the rounds are essentially identical, but we can each have strongly held preferences. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back