Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Brand new to hunting

CFhunter

Hey everyone. I’m from Minnesota (Randy’s home state!) and recently fell in love with hunting. So far I’ve just dabbled in turkeys, small game, and attempting white tail all on public land and with limited success. After watching and listening to Randy Newberg talk on social media about elk and hunting out west I really want to get out on some public land and try my hand at chasing elk. I’m setting my sights on fall of 2019 to give myself time to prepare and I figure this is a good place to start.

I’d appreciate any suggestions of threads (not just topics) particularly useful for first time public land western elk hunting. I know I have a lot to learn, but that’s half the fun for me.

Welcome from another Minnesotan! Minnesota is still great even after having gone out west :) Though I agree that once your trip out west ends, you will be ready to go back as soon as you can!

Welcome from another Minnesotan! I'd focus on one state and a state where you can get an OTC tag (hint: Colorado). You will have some competition but its a good way to dabble into it before becoming obsessed with it like many of us have.

I’d appreciate any suggestions of threads (not just topics) particularly useful for first time public land western elk hunting. I know I have a lot to learn, but that’s half the fun for me.

Welcome! I'm very new myself. If you've only listened to Randy's podcasts I'd definitely recommend watching his YouTube/Amazon series (Fresh Tracks, On Your Own Adventures), but I'm sure you've probably done that. Another person I follow and have learned a lot from as a novice hunter is Mark Kenyon and his Wired to Hunt website/podcast. It's geared towards Whitetail hunting but he's also covered his own elk hunting endeavors, which was new to him a few years ago. Like Randy, he's not afraid to share his mistakes and lessons from them, and guys like that have helped me set reasonable expectations for a novice while also learning a lot quicker than I would on my own.

Welcome aboard.

Back