PEAX Equipment

I'm moving to COLORADO!

Huntin_GI

Hey y'all,

So over the past few years I have been stationed overseas and am finally approaching the end of this adventure. I am SO VERY EXCITED to announce my next job has been found. Early 2019 I will be moving to the great state of COLORADO!

A fantastic job, in the Longmont area has afforded me the opportunity to live the life I have been dreaming about since reading about elk in the pages of Outdoor Life. Soon my family and I will get to experience all the wonder that is CO.

With that being said, I'm not overly excited about the preference point system, but if you can't beat em, join em.

I understand the preference point system changed this year. I would like to "purchase/apply" for a point for multiple species. Any quick and easy reference guides on how to achieve this. I understand I will be a non-resident but getting a headstart on points will really help when I do establish residency.

Again, any easy to follow guidance covering the NEW point application system would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone has the desire to walk me through the process or take under their wing in approximately 18ish months to show me the CO ropes, let me know ;)

signed

A very excited, CO bound, slightly outta shape but in shape by military standards, smelly, air traffic controller

I live in Longmont. I've journaled our hunts for the past seven years (check my sig). Very few hunts have involved preference points, so don't worry about them too much, though definitely grab them anyway. You can check out my last two years journals on this forum.

They didn't change anything about the way points work this year except that you'll pay much less up front.

Once its active, log in to the system, apply with the point code for elk, repeat for deer, repeat for pronghorn etc. Very simple.

Welcome to the Rocky Mountain State!! This was my final assignment before retirement and it was worth every drug deal I had to make :) I would say to try and get in shape before you get here and then hit it hard once you are here to be ready for your first season. There is no substitute for the altitude but prior training will help some. The Colorado system really isn't that hard to understand once you get a handle on it and there are a LOT of opportunities for several different seasons a year. If you have any specific questions feel free to shoot me a PM.

Yeah I really have no intentions of building deer and elk points in Colorado. As a resident, and even as a non resident, you can have great hunting every year with no points if you look for good spots, whether OTC or limited it can definitely be done. Build those moose, goat, and sheep points though! Especially goat and sheep - I often hear about residents drawing those way before they thought they would, though that might change a little with the new system. There are a lot of hidden gems in colorado for both tags and locations if you look for em where points are not required.

Welcome to Colofornia.

Welcome. Longmont is a great town. We almost moved there 15 or 20 years ago. Good archery shop there (archery in the wild). I don't worry about points much. I apply for a point and then put in my low demand unit as my second choice. Build them up but I don't plan my hunts around them. Plenty of OTC units as well if the apply for a point and put in a second choice doesn't pan out.

Yeah I really have no intentions of building deer and elk points in Colorado. As a resident, and even as a non resident, you can have great hunting every year with no points if you look for good spots, whether OTC or limited it can definitely be done. Build those moose, goat, and sheep points though! Especially goat and sheep - I often hear about residents drawing those way before they thought they would, though that might change a little with the new system. There are a lot of hidden gems in colorado for both tags and locations if you look for em where points are not required.

Welcome to Colofornia.

He didn't say he was moving to Boulder...;)

Signed,
Ex-California Native

Good to hear you're headed to beautiful Colorado....jealous. Best of luck with the new job and thanks from me & family for doing your old one.

Lol, I lived in Norcal for four years! I managed to transfer from a Bay Area position prior to arrival for this Coloardo position. Coloforinia is nothing compared to the actual bay lol

Stay away from the Tenderloin.... HA!

I'm on the SE side of Denver and NE of CO Springs. You get down my way, I'll buy.

Update: went ahead and put in for points for every huntable creature that requires them. I may be a bit overzealous but I imagine having the points will be hard to regret.

Congratulations, thanks for your dedicated service. Welcome to Colorful CO, you'll be livin' the dream @ the foot of the Rockies! It is a big state to explore hunting-wise, PM if I can assist. Might as well apply for sheep/goat/moose points, the day will come in 3 years when you become eligible to draw those.

I am jealous... Congratulations on your new journey! I go to CO every fall. I have never taken my wife she isn't a hunter, but enjoys helping me process the game and of course eating it. I have talked her into a vacation to CO this summer so maybe the experience of the Rockies will nudge her to move.

Just a question that may not apply here but have often wondered. If a person gets points as a NR but then would end up moving to CO do those points transfer over to R points?

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back