Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

300 win mag bullet selection and weight

Sjackson

First of all, I don’t hand load.... yet. That being what it may, what is the best medicine for elk and mule deer in the confines of .300 win mag factory ammo out of a 26 inch barrel? Looking for a good combo in hopes of nailing down the specifics for the Leupod CDS system. I appreciate all and any responses, thanks for your time.

180-200g seems to be the sweet spot. Can't go wrong with Accubonds.

Check out choice ammunition, they handload.

I suggest you try different bands of ammo, I found that my Browning X-Bolt Hell Canyon Speed 300 win mag had the tightest group with federal premiun Trophy Copper 180 grain using a Leupold vx6

I can't get anything less than 180grn bullets to group in mine. I've shot a couple elk and 4 or 5 deer with Hornady Interlock BTSPs. Not a primeum bullet but I've never seen them do anything but perform great.

Actually my 300 WM shoots 180grn American Whitetail at 1 MOA.

Definitely 180-200gr. Like stated buy a few different bullets and see what your rifle likes for factory loads.

As to the CDS why not just run the MOA turret and dial for your yardage and bullet combo?

I like 200gr. Partitions and gamekings shoot best for me.
I don't know what bullet federal is using in their premium offering these days, but it used to be partitions.

I like the following bullets in a 300 mag:

150 Barnes TTSX
180 Nosler Accubond
200 Nosler Partition

With honorable mention to:

168 Nosler Ballistic Tip
200 Nosler Accubond

Thanks for asking Sjackson - I have been leaning towards 180 Accubonds for my 300 and this thread has given me a boost of confidence in them

I have always felt for years that is I was to have a 300mag, the optimum bullet would be a 200gr bullet. The velocity should keep bullet failure in hand and the weight and length should handle trajectory and energy better than any other bullet. Never actually tried it. But then, the majaroity of what I read suggest's using the 180gr. I'd still stick with the 200gr.

I load 180 grain accubonds in my 300winmag, and in a few friends 300wsm. Shoot great, complaints, lots of dead animals.

my 300wm likes the Barnes 180 TTSX load either factory or handled, also the federal Trophy Bonded 180gr.. i've never tried any other bullet, bur know from past experience the Nosler 180 AB is also a pretty good choice.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back