PEAX Equipment

What do you think of this ram ?

That's a beautiful ram. I have no experience judging sheep but I would gladly look at him on my wall until I was old. I eat the animals I kill but I don't hunt primarily for meat. I hunt for the pursuit and I guess I lean toward the trophy side of hunting. I love to pursue mature animals, they are the smartest and most challenging. I find that when "the one" steps out in front of me I know immediately. I don't have to add up inches in my head or try to judge his score. If you have to talk yourself into shooting something then you probably won't be happy. With that said, "the one" for everybody is different.

So I say go with your gut. Good luck!

Last edited:
I had a sheep tag last fall. I had pictures of the top sheep in the unit. Not pictures of big sheep but actual pictures of the top 5-10 sheep in the unit.

My twin brother and I were on top of the mountain in September by ourselves when he spotted the ram bedded on a cliff. I knew exactly how big he was. I also knew he wasn’t on the “hit list” so to speak.

I could have come back and killed a bigger ram later in the hunt. Heck, I could have shot a slug if I would have tagged along with the other tag holder and I knew what drainage he was in and he’d even invited me to come with.

But that morning with just me and my brother in the middle of the Bob Marshal will always be our day. Heck, I’ve even had Dudes on this site send me PMs about how much I suck as a hunter, congratulating me on a “dink”, and thanking me for removing a crappy sheep out of the gene pool. No Lie!!!

If you spend your time out of doors pulling the trigger based on what others think of your quarry then you will never be happy. Hunting is one of the best things in life but it’s not the most important thing in life. As I looked that ram over I had to ask myself if I would be ok with coming back later and having a bear encounter. I asked myself if I would be ok if there would be an accident to me or my hunting partner on the second trip. I asked myself if I would be ok if something happened after backing out and coming back and there was no “next time”. As that sheep sat on that cliff on top of the world, my brother sitting next to me, and my wife and four kids at home missing me because I’d been gone for over a week I had to say NO to the prior three scenarios.

Sorry for the rant. Just some food for thought for you and anyone else out there...............

That’s a sweet sheep. Here’s another one despite what some a$$ holes in this site say.

Attachments

• 063B2955-BE77-4577-A162-1DB905F56EC2.jpeg
    063B2955-BE77-4577-A162-1DB905F56EC2.jpeg
    486.7 KB · Views: 685
  • 3E196186-CAC7-4782-888A-074B1D51B9CE.jpeg
    3E196186-CAC7-4782-888A-074B1D51B9CE.jpeg
    256.3 KB · Views: 679
Last edited:
But that morning with just me and my brother in the middle of the Bob Marshal will always be our day. Heck, I’ve even had Dudes on this site send me PMs about how much I suck as a hunter, congratulating me on a “dink”, and thanking me for removing a crappy sheep out of the gene pool. No Lie!!!

This is what I dislike about just anyone being able to call themselves a hunter. There should be a test where if you can't say something nice about an ethical harvest then you have to join a bowling league instead. You should name names.

Seriously, anyone openly criticizing an ethical hunter for their legal harvest needs to go kick a bag of rocks all the way to the front door of the welfare tag Expo. Maybe they have inadequacies over their achievements so lash out with hate and jealousy. Or they love the bottle or crack pipe. Or their Uncle was a creep. They project their view while devaluing your experience and that reveals a lot about them. They must be a lot of fun to have in camp or at work or as a relative.

Nothing wrong with that sheep Stubaby. Anyone dissing it is just jealous.
Thanks for the post.
I just wanted to put a pic out of a one possibility, I have more to look over.

Right on LopeHunter.

I killed my first gig game animal in 2007. As the years went by I found out that bull elk, moose, and buck deer can bring out the worst in people. Heck I’ve even been accused of hiking into someone else’s spot on public land after I’d seen a buck the night before and was coming back to find others now there. Miss communications and missunderstandings are one thing. Being a troll to belittle someone is something else.

Last year after I drew a sheep tag that I had no businesses of drawing I soon found out that sheep tags can bring out the scum of the earth. I even had friends of friends try to contact the FWP to try and get my tag taken away because I was in the process of relocating back to my home state of Utah in the early summer.

I remember in July getting off the phone with the head guy in Helena. I’d reached out to him to get out in front of the situation. After asking me 4-5 different questions and mainly wanting to make sure that I hadn’t tried to apply in any other state than Montana as a resident(which I hadn’t and would never do) he said “enjoy your hunt mr Russell”.

Here’s what I think some of us are trying to say to the OP. Pull the trigger on the tag when You want to. After that pull the trigger on a sheep that You want to, but by damn post pictures, and tell us the story!!!!!

Keep in mind that many folks commenting on this post are from Montana. Because of places like the Missouri Breaks, we have a skewed perspective about what makes a big sheep. I'd adjust my expectations if I had a tag in other places, and that's a nice ram.

I agree that its up to the hunter, just don't make excuses.

But, I can honestly say my decision to shoot, or not shoot a critter, has never been made because I'm homesick, because of who was there, because of a maybe bear encounter, or over safety, or any other excuse.

I typically have a pretty good idea of what's in a unit long before I set foot there. If I've done everything right, and given the tag my all, and come up short, or with an animal that's below the potential of the tag...no big deal. All you can do is try your guts out and do your best.

I've had a few hunts that I didn't put my all into, had stupid chit on my mind, and made an excuse to justify either leaving early or shooting a sub-par animal just to be done...I should have just stayed home from the get-go. I don't do that anymore, if I cant commit 100%, I wont go.

The very reason that I hunt is to get away from the crap of daily life, to not have to worry about anyone else, to not have to worry about anything but what's over the next ridge.

If I couldn't just completely unplug from my day-to-day life, for a once-in-a-lifetime tag...I wouldn't bother even applying.

I've also found that if I have to start making excuses for why I shot an animal, I probably shouldn't have.

As to the OP, I think that's a representative ram for the area, but there are better to be had. I know that access can be an issue, but did you see the ram that D. Robbins killed in that unit this year?

If that's the best I could find applying maximum effort in the places I could hunt, then yes, if not, I would keep looking. There are better in the unit for sure.

Last edited:
What do "we" think of that ram?

What do you think of it? What do you think of the opportunity to hunt it in that country? What will you remember after the hunt? Does it matter what "we" think?
IMO, this hunting stuff is a deeply personal thing. If you get the tag, enjoy it PERIOD

Where did this thread go?..... Stu how about a picture of the dink?.... Who cares what other people think, it's all in the eye of the hunter and it's what he or she would like to remember their hunt as.... Hell in my family I have a nickname of "milky-lips slayer". It doesn't keep me from going back out for more. Btw, I would flip the safety on that ram to Stu.

I wouldn't think twice about taking that ram, but like many have said, it's totally up to you. I would put it this way, if you are now considering using your points on that ram, then obviously you think he's big enough. Who cares whether that ram that makes book, if you are happy with having a chance on that ram, why not take the chance?

Holy cow, post a pic just for sake of letting some folks see it and ask an opinion. Learned my lesson.
This is one of the sheep I see a lot and yes there are much nicer rams in the area but like Buzz knows access is an issue. I see these sheep all the time and the hunt is what I'm looking forward to.

Here's some more rams from the same area , enjoy the pics.

317327_278520648838391_817992093_n (960x640).jpgIMG_8850 (960x640).jpg317327_278520652171724_344794850_n (960x640) (2).jpgIMG_8852 (960x640).jpg

Very nice pictures, I really like the ram that carries his mass through. What area is the district your leaning towards, I don't know much about Wyoming. Never really have looking into it. I wasn't trying to come off as a pompous ass on the subject. Those are some awesome looking sheep, plus the country looks awesome to. Looks like some real archery potential. I haven't really seen too many sheep in Wyoming, haven't looked for them either. The only ones I have seen have been around Wind River, YNP, Cody area, Clarks Fork.

Heres one I saw, I didn't know Wyoming had a small Dall Sheep population tooWyoming Dall.jpg

Holy cow, post a pic just for sake of letting some folks see it and ask an opinion. Learned my lesson.
This is one of the sheep I see a lot and yes there are much nicer rams in the area but like Buzz knows access is an issue. I see these sheep all the time and the hunt is what I'm looking forward to.

Here's some more rams from the same area , enjoy the pics.

Pam,
My buddy from Alaska should draw this year. He can't come out until Oct, but doubt we will spend much time in the "canyon" area. You can't go wrong with that ram in your first post, 165ish maybe. Here is a 169 from same area you are looking in. The other ram Dale took was 178. DSC00364.jpg

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back