Caribou Gear

What do you think of this ram ?

wytex

Is this guy worth my points, and in my eyes the only bighorn sheep hunt I will ever get ? DIY public land . I'm going to throw my hat in the draw this year.

IMG_0288 (960x640).jpgIMG_0286 (1024x724).jpgIMG_0275 (960x640).jpgIMG_0284 (960x640).jpg

Dont know how many points you have but he is definitely worth my points. Go for it.

Nice looking ram. It depends on you and completely on you. I've seen pictures and rams in person that were huge but their horn shape was just ugly! Huge yes, but certainly not very pretty to look at. I've seen absolutely gorgeous rams that probably would not score near as well but man they were something to behold.

You have to ask the guy in the mirror that question. Having experienced a once in a lifetime sheep tag, I can tell you its the hunt that is important. I got to hunt with my son, who actually videoed my harvest. My sheep is no record, not even B and C, but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything! Find a good partner and enjoy the time that you spend glassing and hiking. You'll get a sheep, and make some once in a lifetime memories!

Tough to tell from those pictures. Broomed off a bit on the on side, if he has typical mass unless I am off base, and I often am ....we looking at 170 ish ram.

I personally just don't get the whole imaginary numbers game, who really cares. Just hunt for the love of hunting and if you see an animal and can say to yourself 'thats the one for me' what else matters?

To me that's a damned fine animal!

Looks to be a decent ram for sure, not knowing much about your unit or situation to hunt sheep. I guess first things first draw the tag, then hopefully he makes it through the winter and shows up next season and you find him again. If I seen him in the UL unit in MT, nighty night. However, too many people spend their lives waiting for the tag of their dreams. Then they draw it 20 30 40 years into it, and then "BOOM" 15 minutes into opening day its over. If it was me I would want the full experience, everything from the highest highs to the lowest lows a real memorable experience. Months spent training, days spent scouting and hunting, pushing it to the fine line of divorce and getting fired from my job. Why because its probably only gonna happen once. It's your hunt make the most out of it. Who cares about score, broomed or not, chipped horns. To many people get wrapped up in scores. If you like him and you think hes worthy of flipping the safety, then take him. My brother in law put it pretty good I think when it comes to "Breaks Sheep." He said "when I get the tag, if I ever do its not about scores to me I'll know its my ram when I find him." Good luck in the draw

Last edited:
he looks nice,,hard to tell by the pics but probly at least 165' or more,,he is bigger than my cal bighorn I got in Nevada last year.depends on what your looking for,,rockys tend to get the most inches "s of all the species

Out of sincere curiousity, why are you asking other people if that ram is worth your points? I completely agree with warmer on this one. Find someone you like to hunt/hang out with, and the answer to your question will likely look a lot different.

I'm just curious what others think. When I saw him I knew I would take a chance at him if possible.
Several rams hang out in this area and having only been involved in 1 other sheep hunt, I am not a great judge sheep on the hoof.
I'm certainly not planning my app based on what is said here, but advice from seasoned sheep hunters is what I was looking for.
Thanks for the replies, I think.

I'm just curious what others think. When I saw him I knew I would take a chance at him if possible.
Several rams hang out in this area and having only been involved in 1 other sheep hunt, I am not a great judge sheep on the hoof.
I'm certainly not planning my app based on what is said here, but advice from seasoned sheep hunters is what I was looking for.

He's definitely worth a serious look through the glass and maybe a couple dry fires! Like I said not knowing the area and caliber of sheep that are in there makes it difficult. If I saw him in the UL unit I hunt, the safety would be flipped no doubt! Hes a real pretty ram that's for sure. SEND IT:hump:

That's completely fair. I wasn't trying to rag on you for this thread. There was another thread posted that asked what issues are facing hunting. I sometimes wonder whether the idea of scores, loosely defined (for the purpose of this discussion) as a metric with which to measure the level of excitement a hunter should feel about an animal, is generally good or bad for hunting. I see the benefit of having trophy/conservation clubs (e.g. B&C, P&Y) and the value of trophy units, but I wonder if it also has the potential to instill a somewhat surficial obsession in people that distracts them from grappling with some of the deeper realities of hunting.
Although, maybe it enables them, too. Who knows. As I said earlier, not judging, just curious.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracker boat
Back