PEAX Equipment

Ind. Sup. Ct. Decision on Equal Footing Doctrine and Public Trust Doctrine

joelhunter

In a decision released today, the Supreme Court held that the State of Indiana owns the bed of Lake Michigan within its boundaries up to the natural ordinary high water mark, and holds it in public trust for the use and enjoyment of the people. Riparian owners were arguing that they had been granted a deed which extended their rights to the waters edge, and the DNR argued that the state held the portion of the shore which extended to an administratively declared ordinary high water mark. My friend Jeff Hyman with the Conservation Law Center at Indiana University represented the intervening associations that argued for the greater right to the natural ordinary high water mark, and prevailed.

This is another domino falling in the right direction for public access rights to navigable water ways.

In a decision released today, the Supreme Court held that the State of Indiana owns the bed of Lack Michigan within its boundaries up to the natural ordinary high water mark, and holds it in public trust for the use and enjoyment of the people. Riparian owners were arguing that they had been granted a deed which extended their rights to the waters edge, and the DNR argued that the state held the portion of the shore which extended to an administratively declared ordinary high water mark. My friend Jeff Hyman with the Conservation Law Center at Indiana University represented the intervening associations that argued for the greater right to the natural ordinary high water mark, and prevailed.

This is another domino falling in the right direction for public access rights to navigable water ways.

Riparian owners were arguing that they had been granted a deed which extended their rights to the waters edge...............

Interesting development. Thanks for posting.
There are people, like your friend, who are out there everyday - methodically, relentlessly, and quietly working for the greater public good. Many are pretty good at what they do. They deserve some thanks.

Last edited:
Great news. I’ve often heard realtors make that same sales pitch in Montana.

I should have saved all of the very interesting "sales pitches" (regarding this and related topics) I have seen in real estate flyers in BozAngeles over the last couple decades of the big boom.
Real - pun intended - experts.............................

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back