Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Alps OutdoorZ Commander pack reviews

Aussie_hunter_JD

Gday guys,

Keen to hear any reviews of this pack.

I'm looking at getting a good durable pack but not interested in paying an extra $100 or 2 for a logo.

Wondering if this will fit the bill.

Cheers

It's noisy out of the box but can be modified a bit to quiet it down. First thing is replace the silly key rings that hold the bag to the frame and replace them with cotter pins. Makes them a ton easier to remove with gloves or cold hands anyways. I also added some electrical tape in a couple spots and it's quiet enough for me. Overall, it's pretty sturdy and reliable for the price. I like the pockets on the belt and the side pockets when the main bag is removed. I've literally carried my 110 pound wife on a miile or so hike with her sitting on the fold out to test it out and it held up just fine.

I've used mine to pack 2 deer and an elk. Carries weight well. I replaced the pins with bolts and nylocks. It lives in the rig until something furry hits the ground as it's just a little too bulky to hunt out of.

So you wouldn't recommend it for backpack hunting? what I'm really after is something i can backpack in say 10 miles with my gear, shoot something and pack out my gear and the meat comfortably.

Last edited:
I would take it backpack hunting. It's still a good pack. Hopefully mine will go on one this year. I'm not a big dude so the frame size kinda kills the mojo for me. It's a little wide for me to sling a rifle comfortably and I would like it better if the frame were shorter. I will be cutting it down and re welding before this season. This bag is also over 7lbs unloaded. I don't know what other options there are for you to look at, only observations of my own gear.

I have had mine for 5 years now and will say that it is a great bargain IMO. I got mine (frame and pack) for under $70. The warranty, weight carrying capacity ( I have hauled 2 elk and 2 deer with it), the extras is comes with and the price are winners. I would echo that is kinda bulky and but you CAN haul weight comfortably. If you are on a budget I think it is the best bet for all you get. On the down side, I am not a big fan of the bag for actual backpacking. I don't like top stuffers. I would definitely buy again.

Any recommendations for something along a similar line but less clunky and noisy?

1. Nothing comes to mind at this price point. In general, Alps packs are great value for the dollar.
2. Like other posters mention, changing out some smaller hardwares helps with quiet, but I still find it clunky.
3. Not everyone wants to pay $425 for a pack, but mystery ranch metcalf is not just paying for a logo, it is 10 times the pack for 4 times the money in my opinion.

1. Nothing comes to mind at this price point. In general, Alps packs are great value for the dollar.
2. Like other posters mention, changing out some smaller hardwares helps with quiet, but I still find it clunky.
3. Not everyone wants to pay $425 for a pack, but mystery ranch metcalf is not just paying for a logo, it is 10 times the pack for 4 times the money in my opinion.

Yeah but bear in mind I'm not in the states, I looked up the Metcalf, converted it to Aussie dollars and added on the average cost of shipping and it's over $750 aud. With two mortgages and a baby on the way I can't spend on the closer side of a grand on a pack.

Yeah but bear in mind I'm not in the states, I looked up the Metcalf, converted it to Aussie dollars and added on the average cost of shipping and it's over $750 aud. With two mortgages and a baby on the way I can't spend on the closer side of a grand on a pack.

Was not intended as a criticism or judgment, just offering my personal experience. A lot of fish and game have ended up on my table over the years via the most humble of gear (or lack of gear all together). No doubt dead animals do not judge our purchasing decisions. But, as I have gotten a little older and a little better off, I am beginning to appreciate upgrading some of my stuff. Your time will come too.

Get someone over here to buy it and ship it to you for cheaper. I shipped my mates wedding dress for his wife from Wyoming to Newy and saved them heaps.

Was not intended as a criticism or judgment, just offering my personal experience. A lot of fish and game have ended up on my table over the years via the most humble of gear (or lack of gear all together). No doubt dead animals do not judge our purchasing decisions. But, as I have gotten a little older and a little better off, I am beginning to appreciate upgrading some of my stuff. Your time will come too.

Nah no offense taken mate I was just being matter of fact.

Really I could keep my current black wolf but the foam keeps twisting in the shoulder straps and digs the shit out of my shoulders on big trips.

Get someone over here to buy it and ship it to you for cheaper. I shipped my mates wedding dress for his wife from Wyoming to Newy and saved them heaps.

Yeah that's not a terrible idea. Packaged as a gift would dodge our ridiculous taxes too.

I had the Extreme Commander X pack so I will give you a little info about it. While it was a very functionable and comfortable pack, it was super heavy. Seemed well built and on a budget it's a decent hunting pack. I've seen it brand new for $175. I have been trying to lighten my gear up, so this was one of the first places I looked. I could save 3 lbs just on the pack. If you wait and look around you can find deals on MR. I was able to get mine last year for $320, which is still expensive, but a much better deal than typical full price.

Last edited:
It's noisy out of the box but can be modified a bit to quiet it down. First thing is replace the silly key rings that hold the bag to the frame and replace them with cotter pins. Makes them a ton easier to remove with gloves or cold hands anyways. I also added some electrical tape in a couple spots and it's quiet enough for me. Overall, it's pretty sturdy and reliable for the price. I like the pockets on the belt and the side pockets when the main bag is removed. I've literally carried my 110 pound wife on a miile or so hike with her sitting on the fold out to test it out and it held up just fine.

My pack came with cotter pins, I just ordered recently and it showed up with pins instead of rings and it was definitely brand new.

I have the CmdrZ and it carries weight well - I have used it to pack several elk out several miles with it and it is very comfortable. I have taken it on backpack hunts, but it is not comfortable to shoot with it on your back. I actually carried a small backpack inside the CmdrZ to my spike camp and then wore the smaller pack while hunting and then used the CmdrZ to haul meat and camp out again. You can strip a lot of parts and pieces off the CmdrZ (extra straps, top and bottom of frame bars, meat shelf, etc) to make it fairly lightweight and still utilitarian.

Currently, I am using the Alps Traverse EPS instead of the other two packs. It is just barely big enough to carry all my gear into spike camp, but small enough to wear while I'm hunting. It is not as comfortable with heavy loads, but it saves me from carrying two packs and it is cheap ($120).

I have looked at all the other hunting packs and it seems to me that all the mid-price ($200-400) camo packs are unnecessarily heavy (too many pockets, zippers, extra straps etc.). For weight and comfort, I really like the mountaineering/backpacking backpacks, but they are never available in camouflage and are often some gaudy blue or red (I've heard of guys painting them). The pack I am coveting is from Stone Glacier, but like you, can't justify $600+.

Thanks for all the replies, so i had a chat to the wife last night and I'm definitely not getting an allowance! But I'm going to try and sell some excess gear, I've got some kuiu pants as a gift never worn that I can't return, and a few other boys and bobs. I also have a $120 voucher for a local gun shop which I was going to use on replacing my stolen bipod but talking to them yesterday they get tenzing packs in. If I can make some money and use the voucher apparently they're good packs? The 4000 sounds like a decent one. Any experience there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back