School/Mass shootings what's the answer?

I have thought for a long time, that Buzz's conclusion might well be correct, or close, but that doesn't mean that I don't care. Quite the opposite. I'd like to see effective deterrents, but they come with tradeoffs and the balance of those tradeoffs has to be discussed and evaluated. I am somewhat doubtful it can be improved upon. I'm willing to listen, I just don't think it is a give that there is a "solution" per se.

And so you sit and do nothing

While you may believe this is the sole answer,this completely usurps some of the most basic constitutional premises. I believe in God, but I don’t believe in forcing Him on those who do not and have no desire to.

Thankfully, God doesn't believe in forcing himself on anyone either.

Revelations 3:20

Wonder how many of the shootings are "copy cats" due in part to the media over hyping and making famous each one of the previous shooters? Could it be that we have been looking at limiting the wrong ammendment?

Just something to think about.

Wonder how many of the shootings are "copy cats" due in part to the media over hyping and making famous each one of the previous shooters? Could it be that we have been looking at limiting the wrong ammendment?

Just something to think about.
Why does it seem that the 2A is the most important amendment to lots of folks but other amendments you could take or leave? If you believe the Constitution then you accept that all amendments are equal and none better or worse that another.

Why does it seem that the 2A is the most important amendment to lots of folks but other amendments you could take or leave? If you believe the Constitution then you accept that all amendments are equal and none better or worse that another.

The second is the people’s final resort to enforceability of consent to the government. Without the second the rest is really meaningless because the people no longer have power. I find it odd that in only 250 years the seriousness of this aspect of it is laughed about. A product of institutionalized education no doubt.

Last edited:
The 2nd amendment gives us about as much power over the government as the kids currently have against these school shooters.

Moving the line to ban ARs with high capacity magazines will not change this.

If that were true we'd have left Afghanistan years ago.

I was just going to say, AK47s seem to have trumped Apaches. or least the jury is still out on that one (and we could all name many others going back a half century or so).

Another truth about these murderers that some of you military vets will back me up on. You can't stop them all, sure some of the stupid ones will get stopped beforehand, but many will be able to carry out their attacks. And it doesn't matter what you do to stop it. There is a thing called "the attacker's advantage". The person attacking gets to set up the time, location, and manner of attack. If you are on the receiving end all you can do is react and fight through it.

The second is the people’s final resort to enforceability of consent to the government. Without the second the rest is really meaningless because the people no longer have power. I find it odd that in only 250 years the seriousness of this aspect of it is laughed about. A product of institutionalized education no doubt.

A product of reality when you see the weapons the US military has...not to mention the training they receive. For whatever reason, I just don't see an unorganized bunch of PBR swilling billybobs, being much of a challenge to our military. Just don't see it, YMMV.

For the record, I think too many people have spent too much time watching Red Dawn, thinking they could be the next "wolverines!"...that's not a documentary, BTW.

A product of reality when you see the weapons the US military has...not to mention the training they receive. For whatever reason, I just don't see an unorganized bunch of PBR swilling billybobs, being much of a challenge to our military. Just don't see it, YMMV.

For the record, I think too many people have spent too much time watching Red Dawn, thinking they could be the next "wolverines!"...that's not a documentary, BTW.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Not all of the military will turn their weapons on American civilians. How many will desert and take military toys with them. I'm still fit, I'm a better shot than I was in the military, and I still remember a lot of my training. And there are a lot of Americans like me out there.

If that were true we'd have left Afghanistan years ago.

Yep, how are the Afgans and how were the vietnamese able to be such a tough opponent when they were/are so over matched in weaponry???

I was just going to say, AK47s seem to have trumped Apaches. or least the jury is still out on that one (and we could all name many others going back a half century or so).

The Vietcong might disagree, also you assume the guy flying the apache would be on the opposite team

I knew these comments were coming. A tenacious local guerrilla defense against a foreign invader who has limited home-side support for the cause - where a relatively small number of guerrillas live a horrible existence long enough for the foreign occupier to get bored or broke is not a compelling comparison to the reality of a local army suppressing a local insurgency. The Whiskey rebellion, Shays' Rebellion, Fries's Rebellion, the Civil War, the Election Riot of 1874, the Green Corn Rebellion, San Juan Revolt, Ruby Ridge, Waco, the Occupation of the Malheur Refuge, etc. are all better examples, and the 2nd amendment didn't help those folks a bit.

The 2nd amendment as a vehicle for ensure private access to firearms for the purpose of self/home defense and recreation is a useful thing, but it will come with limitations as do all constitutional rights. But the 2nd amendment as a threat against our 2018 government is a little silly. Any successful insurrection in 2018 would require a decent part of the military siding with the rebels and another big part deciding to stand down (many examples including Russia during the Yeltsin years) -- and they would bring the firepower, not my Marlin 336.

Last edited:
And back to guns and killing people. I'm sure the left will help us keep our second amendment rights when we openly talk of wars against the government. This on a thread anout what's the answer. Buzz, you are the Nostradamus of hunt talk.

Kids will play with a box turtle but are afraid to mess with a snapping turtle. A box turtle equals unarmed schools with lockdown only policy. A snapping turtle equals schools with lock down policy and a few armed staffers. Can’t dumb the solution down any more than this.

I can’t logically figure out how someone who doesn’t follow the rules: No committing murder, no weapons in school, no going to school when expelled, etc. will give a rip if you enact new rules such as you can’t have a firearm, or only so many round clip capacity, or no semi automatic weapons, bla bla bla.

From a purely practical standpoint most of the ideas by belshawelk would probably do the trick. I'd say retinal scans/facial recognition upon entry, non-lethal deterrents perhaps delivered remotely if the metal detector goes off, lethally armed guards at the final entries into the school, classroom doors that lock remotely from the inside and outside and doors to outside the building in every classroom. That's not really addressing the cause though.

EDIT: Above based on no financial constraints

Last edited:
something has to change, possibly a higher Leo influence within the schools will make someone think twice. I saw a comment today on Facebook of someone putting an armored plate in their sons backpack now, something has got to change I just wish we had a simple solution on a complex problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back