School/Mass shootings what's the answer?

"....As snowflake sensations....."

Does it really matter if the parents of the kid [or the] football coach who dies is a snowflake or a NRA member, I'm guessing not.

Wait, he's on! Ha! Hey, if you elk hunt we might have one more thing in common... Or bear? I try... You succeed? Got me there if you've a nice bear rug. Deer? Have a few favorites. You? Oh snap... It's beyond fishing?

Good on ya, off point, onpoint. Whatever floats the bobber. :)

You have anything to add to the topic?
My snowflake comment... Sensitive? Was in reference to the problems from my perspective (not stating fact) that our current edumacation teaches our kids of today mixed with divorce rate etc. Eh, cheers though.

In real estate it is location, location, location. In politics and civil discourse it is tone, tone, tone - and this author is tone deaf - and this doesn't help us.

The truth hurts sometimes. sorry he did not sugar coat it for you

I can feel the winds of change. Like it or not, I think this country is nearing it's limit.

Question. Where are all the criminals with the Thompsons and the B.A.R.s?

So much this. There is already a news article that a major GOP donor is reportedly refusing to donate ever again until the AR-15 is banned. Too much more of this, money talks remember, and the choice is going to be made for us in a hurry.

The truth hurts sometimes. sorry he did not sugar coat it for you

I don't need sugar coating, but he was all over the place and picking fights that didn't need to be picked. When SCOTUS reverses Heller in a few years (which I hope they do not) we will see how clever the slippery slope folks will be feeling.

I can feel the winds of change. Like it or not, I think this country is nearing it's limit.

Question. Where are all the criminals with the Thompsons and the B.A.R.s?

So much this. There is already a news article that a major GOP donor is reportedly refusing to donate ever again until the AR-15 is banned. Too much more of this, money talks remember, and the choice is going to be made for us in a hurry.

They didn’t get a ban during 8 years of obama, or after sandy hook this won’t won’t do it either. It will take a Beslan type of event, then maybe. And yes I think one will eventually happen here.

They didn’t get a ban during 8 years of obama, or after sandy hook this won’t won’t do it either. It will take a Beslan type of event, then maybe. And yes I think one will eventually happen here.

I'm not so sure about that people are finally tired of it. I'm definitely tired of it. I'd gladly give up my right to own or purchase these type weapons today. By the way I've never owned one and never will. Zero need for one. This thread has been great folks. But I'm done with it.
I'm fishing and shed hunting the next few days for some relaxation. After that I'll probably take my thoughts and draft letters to my elected officials.

If further regulating or banning the AR platform is the answer to ensuring these events no longer occur - can we also consider regulating who has children or requiring mandatory parenting classes?

Honestly, I can walk into a gun store and see people looking to buy/handling weapons that I think shouldn't own a firearms of any kind. I can also walk down the street and see just as many people (if not more) that I think should not be having kids.

I''m impressed that this topic has made it over 300+ posts and there is still civility to the discussion. Thanks to each one of you who have posted and kept this discussion worthy.

If further regulating or banning the AR platform is the answer to ensuring these events no longer occur - can we also consider regulating who has children or requiring mandatory parenting classes?

Honestly, I can walk into a gun store and see people looking to buy/handling weapons that I think shouldn't own a firearms of any kind. I can also walk down the street and see just as many people (if not more) that I think should not be having kids.

While I’d be lying if I said the same thought has never crossed my mind, I think that’s a quick road to concentration camps and sterilization of whatever poor segment of the population is deemed unworthy of society. Educated communities who care about one another, coming together to lift each other up would work. But that takes a hell of a lot of effort and will.

If you don't think they should own firearms, why not have more scrutiny for them if they want to buy any semi-automatic gun that can accept large capacity magazines?

The more I look into it, we were facing similar issues when the 1934 NFA was enacted to do the same thing to machine guns, sawed off shotguns, etc (i.e. make them class III weapons). This was back in the day when we could bring our guns to school because we supposedly had more morals, etc. Class III weapons are available to those who really feel they need them, but they are rarely used in these attacks because every idiot doesn't have one ready to go if he has a psycho moment.

More AR15's are sold every day than Ford F150s. Banning them will solve nothing. The next 15 school shooters already have their weapons in hand. Laws against murdering people dont stop them, laws against the type of weapon they use to murder wont stop them either. Offensive type policies have been tried for years, they dont work. Defensive policies need to be put into place. Almost all the schools where I live have a police officer assigned to each school. The kids love them, the cops love the job. Its a simple solution that I just dont understand the opposition to.

A ban on AR-15's won't stop there. I can think of other firearms out there that do the same thing, only AR isn't in the name. I would not support any ban. mtmuley

More AR15's are sold every day than Ford F150s. Banning them will solve nothing. The next 15 school shooters already have their weapons in hand. Laws against murdering people dont stop them, laws against the type of weapon they use to murder wont stop them either. Offensive type policies have been tried for years, they dont work. Defensive policies need to be put into place. Almost all the schools where I live have a police officer assigned to each school. The kids love them, the cops love the job. Its a simple solution that I just dont understand the opposition to.
The Florida school did have an armed guard. I also remember there was one at a nightclub or something [edit, I meant there was a guard at another mass shooting but many were still killed].

The number of weapons out there is an issue that would have to be overcome, but it is largely one that was self inflicted as people weee buying them thinking they would be banned.

Last edited:
The Florida school did have an armed guard. I also remember there was one at a nightclub or something.

The number of weapons out there is an issue that would have to be overcome, but it is largely one that was self inflicted as people weee buying them thinking they would be banned.

How would it be overcome? Registration? Buyback? If you don’t comply do you become a overnight felon?

Semi auto pistols will be next if this happens, because no one needs 17 rounds in one Glock mag.

Last edited:
Our little kindergarten through eighth grade rural Gallatin County school has been assigned a School Resource Officer (SRO) from the sheriff's department. This law enforcement liaison person is warmly accepted by students and faculty, often showing up to present good safety tips regarding a number of public safety issues, but certainly including firearm safety as many here are hunters. When the SRO's patrol car is in the parking lot, the school experiences a higher degree of security felt by everyone. Unfortunately this small school does not warrant nor can afford a full time security person. Last year the school implemented a single entrance security door with the requirement for the front desk to recognize the school guest before allowing entry. When family guests, tradesmen, educational professionals, or anyone visits the school, we wear a brightly colored Gateway Gator badge to assure students and faculty that we have signed in and are authorized to be in the school. These are fairly common measures presently, but as HONEYBADGER expressed the best possible solution is constant security in the form of a school cop. Although even with continuous presence, the playground is a vulnerable setting and it's not possible to be everywhere all the time. But removing the "soft target" perception of the school setting would go a long way in discouraging those who so brazenly attack.

All of the discussion is worthwhile and obviously reflects many opinions and suggestions for solutions, but the really important thing is that we all can agree these attacks on schools are unacceptable and warrant serious remedies to stop them.

There are some interesting similarities/paradox's in a lot of the comments on this post to an old thread: "Officially a pit bull hater".
Lots of comments on there about the object- the dog, the owners, and the owners mentalities.
I read through that old post and put it in the context of this discussion. I found some pretty interesting paradox's.
Anyone for a little mental exercise on a Sunday afternoon might find it worthwhile - or not.

How would it be overcome? Registration? Buyback? If you don’t comply do you become a overnight felon?

Semi auto pistols will be next if this happens, because no one needs 17 rounds in one Glock mag.

I dunno, maybe a year to go through the relevant checks. Buyback for the ones who don't want to go through the effort. To be honest, the more people insult my intelligence by saying this is like banning spoons to prevent fatness, the less I care. Everyone was buying them because they thought Obama was going to ban them. If they are banned, well, what did they expect? Besides, I'm sure they lost more money because G. Gordon Libby convinced them they needed to buy gold.

But people who really want them should be able to keep them if they are qualified, or get some money if they want to give them up.

From an article on why the officer was NOT present during the shooting'

“I have been told by a couple of sources that the SRO was either called off campus responding to something happening or it could have been his day off,” she said. “They are stretched very thin.”

As a nation we can muster 20 some people to guard every gate at every major airport. We have thousands of FBI agents who apparently cant figure out how to respond to school shooting threats. Take some of those people and put them in schools, or cut some of those people and use the money to put local officers in schools. There is really no excuse anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back