Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Ranchers Need Public Lands Too

Schaaf

[video=youtube;GWpiXwbzA94]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWpiXwbzA94[/video]

Why public land transfer hurts the ranching community.

It seems like he has done some research and thought it through as oppose to parroting what he hears at the coffee shop.

Even without a sale just transferring to state ownership would be going from $2.** To $10.** an aum. That would be a real kick in the budget

Does he REALLY think a ranch out in the middle of no where that had to be sold will turn into a shopping mall or subdivision? LOL

Does he REALLY think a ranch out in the middle of no where that had to be sold will turn into a shopping mall or subdivision? LOL

You'd be surprised at the amount of ranches that have been turned in to subdivisions. During the height of the Bakken, it was happening in communities you'd never expect it.

Ben is right. There have been some interesting developments and subdivisions popping up in areas I never would have imagined. What I can imagine is a pile of quaint little mountain villages scattered throughout the west on what used to be public land. Resort communities and vacation homes are a valuable commodity.

The rancher is forced to pay the going rate on State lands instead of the $2 he pays per AUM on BLM? The fee is even higher on private. Cry me a river. Actually I think the AUM fee is less than $2.

Totally agree with Elkmagnet

If you take a look at the rates in CO from 2017 the average private fee was $17.53 per AUM (not irrigated), on State Trust Lands between $11.34 and $19.06 depending on the region... and then their is the fed $1.87 per AUM. Given those rates looks like ranchers are going to feel the pinch long before the lands are transferred to private.

http://www.buildidaho.com/idaho_sub...northwest__garden_city_/hidden_springs_idaho/

Hidden Springs is an 1,844-acre master planned community built around a 130-year old working farm in the Dry Creek Valley, just north of Boise and east of Eagle. The community will eventually encompass more than 1000 homes, with a smart mix of on-site retail, recreational and educational facilities.

This WAS wintering habitat for mule deer.

But then so was this.

http://www.buildidaho.com/idaho_sub...-_northwest__garden_city_/avimor_subdivision/

Both had been grazed by domestic and wild animals prior to development.

Great video.

Whether or not a certain parcel would be converted to a subdivision, mall, parking lot, or nothing. One thing is near certain - there would be No Trespassing signs. I know Jay Bodner, the Director of Natural Resources for the Montana Stockgrowers Association has said ranchers should work with federal ownership instead of trying to change it, but it would be nice if the MSGA came out against PLT officially like the Montana Wood Products Association did.

Last edited:
http://www.buildidaho.com/idaho_sub...northwest__garden_city_/hidden_springs_idaho/

This WAS wintering habitat for mule deer.

But then so was this.

http://www.buildidaho.com/idaho_sub...-_northwest__garden_city_/avimor_subdivision/

Both had been grazed by domestic and wild animals prior to development.

I agree they created subdivsions, but neither of these are exactly in the middle of nowhere. They are right next to a major highway and just a short jaunt for a major town like a suburb. I guess if the ranch is close to town , yes of course it could happen.

So 8 mi into the mountains isn't the middle of nowhere?
I wonder how many acres of ground are within 15mi of a major road or town?
Hell the next one won't "count" because it will be within 12 mi of one of my above mentioned examples.

Have you ever been to Colorado? It's amazing what a couple hundred thousand Californians can do to a place.

LOL, I hear ya.... I guess in my head I was seeing where I hunted in WY this past year and out there I would not ever see this happening. Now closer to a town of some sort, sure.

There are several ranches in the Breaks that have been subdivided into ranchettes. The ranch used to be enrolled in Block Management. Located 30 miles from Winnett (population 185) with the closest town over 200 people being Lewistown some 65 miles away. Is that remote enough for you?

I worked with a rancher even further into the Breaks. His place is checkerboarded with BLM and State. I worked on developing an improved management plan for Sage Grouse habitat (also valuable elk and mule deer habitat which is enrolled in Block Management). Because his kids aren't necessarily interested in returning to the ranch, subdividing was often a topic of discussion. He admits the BLM fees are a joke.

US population of 320 million, growing to 440 by 2050... gonna take lots of land to house another 40% of us in 30 years; I imagine the fight to preserve federal control of public lands will only become more contentious.

My younger years, I grew up on a ranch/farm of 40 acres. One after another of that size ranch on one side of a large wash. The other side was owned by a famous hot dog company... Farmer John (Dodger Dog). It was pretty awesome. He permitted us without any reservation to ride on his property, etc... Then he passed away. Sons came in and shortly after 2400 homes, townhomes, etc... Filled the canyon and massive traffic filled the canyon road... Slowly but surely, our ranch / farms succumbed to the pressure and the dominoes fell...

So not sold due to fed transfer to state as suggested in the video... But the impact transformed the entire Valley. Now? I went to visit friends and it's a mad house concrete jungle.

LOL, I hear ya.... I guess in my head I was seeing where I hunted in WY this past year and out there I would not ever see this happening. Now closer to a town of some sort, sure.

Every major city was once upon a time "the middle of nowhere"
The "major city" you mentioned as being next to these developments had a population around 5000 people when my great great grandfather bought a horse ranch west of there.

Do you think he could have ever thought that 120 years later the population in the valley would now be approaching 700,000 people?

Now that ranch is a farm town with about 3500 people

Google DeLaney Farm, Aurora CO. Old farm that has been preserved, it's right smack in the center of aurora.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back