Feedback on a new rifle

OwyheeHuntr

Looking to take a Tikka t3x in 7mm rem mag put it in B&C stock and Cerakote the barrel/action (just because), total costs before optics probably $1000ish. Probably top it with a Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14, or maybe a Zeiss 3x15 Conquest. Should add I am hoping it will be a do everything gun-elk/deer/bears/lopes.

Anything else I should be looking at in a rifle, looked at the Christensen Arms mesa and I personally just dont like the feel, the Bergara mtn rifles are nice but not sure I want to spend that kind of $$$? I have a couple Tikkas already and like them, not that I need a new rifle, but my wife says I have a sickness that is only cured by more rifles...it's a vicious cycle :hump:

Suggestions and feedback appreciated!

Last edited:
The new Browning x-bolts look nice. I have an older A-bolt and I like it. Have a buddy about to buy the Hells Canyon Speed in 7mm also. Great looking rifles

+1 on the Xbolt. you can search the forums and find my review and others. There's a reason they can't keep them in stock. I have the Hell's Canyon Speed which is cerakoted. I'd also recommend a Vortex scope.

I have a Tikka and it's a super shooter. But I have looked the hells canyons over pretty often as of late also. Not sure which I would recommend one over the other, with either likely being sufficiently accurate. Only plus with the Tikka you can set it up with the colors of your choice while deciding the stock/ceracote.

buddy just got rid of his tikka t3x in 7mm mag, would not group anything under and inch and was not consistent the next time you shot it. Magazine length was one of the limiting factors, very short magazine...

What specifically didn't you like about the Christensen mesa? I looked about trading my nosler model 48 in 28 nosler off on one and loved it they just wouldn't give me enough for the gun.

Nice for a change if you already have 2 tikkas. In that event +1 for Hell's canyon or Bergara - one them will likely be my .300WinMag soon enough.

I held both a 6.5 creedmoor and a 7mm in the mesa they felt really front heavy to me- it could just be me I just didn't like the balance- I wanted to like it but after shouldering both knew a mesa wasn't for me.

Another vote for the X Bolt. I love them so much I am in the process of swapping out all of my other hunting rifles with them in the same caliber. Can't speak highly enough of how pleased I am with mine.

Looking to take a Tikka t3x in 7mm rem mag put it in B&C stock and Cerakote the barrel/action (just because), total costs before optics probably $1000ish. Probably top it with a Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14, or maybe a Zeiss 3x15 Conquest. Should add I am hoping it will be a do everything gun-elk/deer/bears/lopes.

Anything else I should be looking at in a rifle, looked at the Christensen Arms mesa and I personally just dont like the feel, the Bergara mtn rifles are nice but not sure I want to spend that kind of $$$? I have a couple Tikkas already and like them, not that I need a new rifle, but my wife says I have a sickness that is only cured by more rifles...it's a vicious cycle :hump:

Suggestions and feedback appreciated!

I am lucky. When I go for a new rifle, I have to have a need or I just don't do it. ie, last year I got to wondering if a Mossberg Patriot could be made to shoot well. Well I went out and got one to see if I could make it shoot well. next thing I knew I was wondering how good the same rifle would shoot with cast bullet's so, I went out and got a 308! See there good reason's to buy new rifles! :)

Back