Range Finder - could use an upgrade

Brian in Montana

I currently have a Nikon Alcon. I didn't pay much for it, but it works great at archery distances, and bowhunting was my primary passion when I bought it. Now I'm getting into loading my own ammo and want to focus a little more on rifle hunting in the next few years. My Nikon has trouble getting a reading at about 300yds, which, when rifle hunting, is about where you start actually needing the services of a range finder.

So I don't have to possess the greatest, snaziest thing on the market and would prefer not to break the bank. Any suggestions on a fairly simple range finder that will be reliable out to say 500yds and cost around $300 to $350? Does such a thing even exist?

Sig Kilo 1250 or Leupold 1200 TBR should fit the bill. Both should be able to range deer size objects out to at least 500 and should be in that $300 range.

I had a similar Nikon with the same issue...I snagged a Sig Kilo 2200 when Cabelas had them for like $325. It'll range deer/elk out to 1000+ (possibly farther but never tried) and I've ranged a lot of larger items to a mile. I think it will measure out to 2 miles on very reflective targets. Warranty is great

Gonna be a bit more than your budget but I've used a Leica for years and I love it. It ranges great, easy to see red lighted display. Unlike some other range finders that claim they will work at a certain range but usually fall well short, the Leica actually does it. I've never used the Sig that others recommended but I have heard good things about it.

I have the Leupold 1200TBR. It is overall a good piece of equipment, faster than it's vortex counterpart. But, mine did fail to range a mature buck in a driving snow at about 150yds. I'm not sure if any other rangefinder would have either so I won't knock it too hard but when it's time for me to upgrade the sig's will get a strong look also. I'm overall pretty pleased with the Leupold other than that one time.

I just switched to a sig kilo 2200. I like it so far but haven't tried it under trying conditions yet

Sig is an excellent buy. I have a leica 1600-b that is excellent as well and maybe a slightly smaller aiming reticle than the sig.

Last edited:
I'll also vote for the sig, I found the red reticle shows up much better than the black.

I bought a used Leupold 750. I had a problem with it. Sent it to Leupold. Got a call back telling me to watch the mail, a NEW one was coming.

Can't beat THAT customer service.

Everything mentioned above are good. Make sure to get one with a red recticle, much nicer to use. The Leica is hands down the best out there and has been for a long time but is outside your stated budget. I have limited use of the Sig kilo 2200 and the vortex but they both seemed very nice and would both be on my list when I need a new one. I haven't used any of the leupolds in years, but the old ones were complicated, you really needed to read the manual to learn how to configure them and operate properly. It's been almost 10 years since I sold leupold though so I would guess they have gotten a lot better.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back