MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Colorado unit 86 elk....

JohnCushman

Has anyone hunted 86 during 2nd or 3rd season? We hunted 85 last year in 2nd season and it was a bust. I'd like to pick someone's brain about 86 if at all possible. Thanks!

I haven't hunted there, but a couple friends hunted there in 2nd rifle in 2016. I don't know where they were but they biked in a number of miles. Said there were a lot of tracks headed to private and they ended up seeing a big herd on private. He said they saw a small bull and a few cows during the last half hour of light one night and that was it. For what it's worth one of them said he wouldn't hunt there again.

Oh damn! My old bow shop used to recommend the unit to everyone. The owner and a couple customers made out OK over the years, but he wasn't very forthcoming for a bit more information to someone who just dropped $1300 on a bow and new arrows and accessories lol

I don't know anything about either of those units, or any Colorado unit for that matter, but we saw tons of deer and elk in 78/81 when we drove through several trips from Chama to Pagosa Springs whike we were out there in December. So much so that my wife fell in love with the area. Those super nice houses/ranches up through route 84 helped too :D. I gotta say, i really liked the area too, and if I ever hunt Colorado, it's on my radar. Good luck this fall John.

I haven’t hunted elk in 86, but have spent a decent amount of time on the southern half of that side of the Sangres and have friends that hunt there. Main problem is that it is horribly steep and there are very limited access points. Even with horses.

And, as noted, many elk head straight down for the private when the arrows start flying and because of the general boundary geography, they don’t need to leave. So, it’s a lot of steep scrambling for bulls in nasty sanctuaries, or fenceline-sitting.

It’s damn beautiful though. My son learned to ride a horse in that unit :)

I'm scared of horses :W:

I’m not the worlds biggest fan either, but the base of the Sangres is one place that will get me on one of those devils.

Have you looked at 68/681? I researched those a good bit in 2016 for my buddies before I drew a Gila tag and plans changed.

hunted oberosler tract - ALot of hunters, not many elk...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back