Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Why I choose Meindl over Kennetrek/Schnees/Others

Good info. Can't stress enough how important it is to find a boot that fits your feet. When I was younger, it wasn't as big of a deal. Now that I'm near 50, if the boots don't feel right, there's a lot of other things that hurt as well. I can get most boots to feel decent by changing the insole and sock combinations but the real test happens on uneven ground.

I'm on my second pair of Denali's. They are the best fitting boot for my feet as well. FYI - The perfekt extreme fit is very similar to the Denali for me. Those two boots get me through hunting season just fine.

For lighter hikers I've been really happy with Lowa Renegade. I have some Oboz that are a tighter fit but better with a thinner insole than the factory. Just bought some Scarpa SL Active's that have a memory foam fit much like the Denali's.

I like Meindl boots, have had 5-6 pairs of them.

I've had 3x of the Denali boots, the first pair would leak walking across wet grass on my lawn, and were exchanged, the second pair lasted about 2 seasons before the rand wore off, and they leaked badly. The third pair leaked after 2 hunts... and were returned.

Also Cabela's boot "warranty" is per store manager. The one here gives you credit based on the purchase price and amount of sole wear... FIY one sheep hunt and one caribou hunt (18 days hunting) = 60% wear. Bought them in August, and took them back 60 days later... got $140 credit. Not sure how that worked, since he GoreTex is supposed to have a 2 year warranty. I took the credit and bought a pair of Alaska Hunters. They don't leak and are a much better boot IMO. Stiffer, a bit taller, and bigger rand. I've had the current pair for 2 seasons (inlcuding 3 sheep hunts which destroy boots) plus lots and lots of other hunts/hikes. They don't leak too badly and will make it through this year. I may try some Lowas next though.

I wore Meindel Ibex from Cabellas for years til they started leaking,2nd pair replaced. I had worn Meindel hiking boots in past too. The warranty was well worth it.
I went with Lowa Tibet superwarm for a new hunting boot & very happy with them for use Oct.-Mar.
Lowa,Meindel & other boot makers use Euro sizing which are about half size small on most boots.
I wear American 11's which mean 11.5 in Euro size & mMeindels have run wide compaired to other boots.
I got the Tibets on Ebay new in box 1/3 price 2 yrs ago.
Just scored another new Lowa boot last week on Ebay ,Lowa Camino's for 1/3 price...& they are my wear everyday boot now here in NM. Was looking for a deal on Lowa Rangers when I found these.
Another guy who bought a boot half size too small worked in my favor again.

Cannot stress knowing what size your feet really are NOW & trying on makes of boots before buying to see how they fit enough.....

I don’t know how I missed this topic earlier this evening when I was looking for info on Cabela’s Meindl boots. My ultralights started leaking in year 2, and I’m going to take them back to Cabela’s tomorrow. Trying to decide about trying another pair of the ultralights, or something else...maybe even different brand (though these were by far the most comfortable boots I’ve ever worn!). Sounds like the Denali are worth checking out, so I hope our store has some in stock! Thanks for all the info in this thread...

Having owned the Meindl ultralights - I know what you mean by comfort - at least on flat ground where traction doesn't matter much but the Denalis are worth every extra penny and they will do side hills and rocks.

Having owned the Meindl ultralights - I know what you mean by comfort - at least on flat ground where traction doesn't matter much but the Denalis are worth every extra penny and they will do side hills and rocks.

I’m definitely going to have to check them out...I haven’t had any problem with my ultralights on the mountains here in SW Montana, so if the Denalis are even better, I’d be thrilled.

With reports of other companies slipping in quality, perhaps sticking with a brand that will honor a decent warranty is best...

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back