Issues Facing Hunting

'Noteworthy points and opinions, Sytes, but a meant to be constructive readability recommendation: trite "not in my country", "nitpickers" starting to stink ... be less wordy, more succinct. Avoid bloviation; strive for articulation.

'Noteworthy points and opinions, Sytes, but a meant to be constructive readability recommendation: trite "not in my country", "nitpickers" starting to stink ... be less wordy, more succinct. Avoid bloviation; strive for articulation.

Fair enough, Straight Arrow, it gets old fighting the vocal few thus a fight back response gets rough as well. We'll see though the belittling and snarky grammar is cause to counter. Here, if one does not fight back, one simply gets rolled over by the vocal few.

Cheers for your comment though. We'll see how the future attacks go here and other threads.

Back to the thread intent:

What are the real big issues facing hunting?
1. Legislation that will prohibit Hunting?
2. CWD?
3. Transfer of public lands
4.????
5.???

Last edited:
Biggest threat to hunting imo is what the 90 % that don't hunt, think of it.

I was packing in to public land wilderness to unlimited area sheep hunt a few years ago. Three different women noticed my rifle and said directly to me with disgust, " it's hunting season already?". It didn't matter if I was hunting the"right" way or the wrong way. They flat out didn't like hunting period. This was in Montana, not California or New York. We have our work cut out for us if we want to continue hunting in the long term future.

This is merely a response to Northwoods Labs comment directed specifically towards myself.
We are all permitted to share our opinions, perspectives and positions, not "facts" as some nitpickers would manipulate and proclaim. This brief disclaimer is not addressed to the vast majority of HT'ers including Northwoods Labs. This brief opening statement is addressed to a few vocal people opposed to opinions that differ from their own referred to as, nitpickers.

Northwoods Labs,

I should have expanded on my opinion regarding, "not in my country". This is a constant due to the all or nothing mentality within environmental groups (generalized as I'm sure this does not include all...).

There is, again in my opinion, (not stating fact) such a hard push against domestic extraction of minerals valuable to the U.S. development of products and American family employment that if the ground is shifted, it is an environmental impact upon the land and thus, must not be.

This entrenched setting makes many of us who value domestic extraction and American jobs as well as these American's that value our outdoors, we put our hands in the air and say, wtf???

With any extraction there will be "environmental" changes... Be it a flower that will no longer grow or a lizard that may cease to be... In that area, (not extinction). There has the be a reasonable level of acceptance for temporary adjustment to the "environment" for the U.S. to extract minerals ourselves.

Reclamation, restoring our land once an x year operation completes... To many of us that refuse to join the entrenched warfare, we would better see "Multi Use" actually utilized. We would like to see more of the successful collaboration / stewardship programs implemented. We want safe operations. Safe to the environment as well as the American families supported by the employment opportunities that open because of the mineral extraction operations.

With that, an example as shared by Randy (Big Fin), the Stillwater Agreement. It brought great employment opportunities to the community in exchange for tighter than current laws regarding environmental impacts caused by the operation. This is what the "Can't we all just get along" (our wise, Dr. Baton King quote) crowd values. :)

To identify organizations that present the fight at all costs against domestic extraction, I've added a few quotes from certain groups.

https://earthjustice.org/climate-and-energy/oil-gas-drilling/infrastructure

https://www.sierraclub.org/policy/energy/fracking

I could continue to quote environmental groups though I believe this presents a response to your comment about my opinion.

Many support countering the loophole used by coal companies to reduce royalties paid to US, in no way are we opposed to regulations meant to protect our lands. However, the entrenched fight is not conducive to the value collaboration and stewardship, the Good Neighbor Agreements, etc. We want American jobs for our workers to support our families. We want renewable resources to support our future. We want mining of the materials required to manufacture the battery blocks necessary to store many forms of the renewable energies.
We are not entrenched. We seek compromise.

And for humor sake, "we" may equal myself and one other person in America. Though from those I speak with it may be one or two more than that... :D

BTW, I believe my comment about enviro hunt organizations was their partisan play that assisting in that entrenchment type mentality not completely related to the "not in my country" type mentality. Though I do believe it does attribute to sme extent.

Not directed towards you, Northwoods Labs and many HT'ers here who value each sharing opinions without the personal attacks and belittling attempts:
Nitpickers, pick away. Grammer run on sentence Nazis point out the grammatically challenged, etc. I'll be your huckleberry. ;)

Holy word salad...

You are out of touch with reality on many fronts. You use the Sierra Club and Earth Justice to prove your point?

Wow, just wow.

The reality is, that there has been heavy concessions, IMO, at times too heavy of concessions, made on oil and gas development by both the Hunting and Angling community as well as the conservation community over-all.

Take a trip to Wyoming sometime and just try to tell me that oil and gas development and "American jobs" have taken the backseat to wildlife. For Christ sake, if you're going to make claims, back them up with something to do with reality, let alone an actual fact. Also, there are several thousand (3,625 at last count) idle and/or orphaned wells in Wyoming, yet we need to keep drilling? Guess who picks up the tab for those when they need to be taken care of? Hello taxpayer....

http://trib.com/business/energy/int...cle_c8d9ed03-852b-5c8d-bc4a-27dd3b793ccb.html

Secondly, there are several thousand inactive leases that have no development going on at all in Wyoming, yet you claim that the big bad enviro-hippies aren't letting development happen and keep hard working American families from mineral extraction jobs? You can bullchit the fans, but not the players.

Not sure what reality you live in, but I'm not seeing a lack of development of oil and gas in Wyoming...at all...or lack of cutting timber....or lack of wind energy development...or lack of grazing...or lack of farming...you get the point.

Last edited:
You can bullchit the fans, but not the players.

If not stolen from someone else, that's quite an original. Can others pull that out for use from time to time?.................

If not stolen from someone else, that's quite an original. Can others pull that out for use from time to time?.................

Use whatever you want, whenever you want...no law that I can find to prevent that, or drilling in Wyoming.

Maybe Sytes can find that law that we've stopped development and use of our resources here...I'm still looking.

Oh, and Sytes, ever heard of SOPA? Google it sometime and check what the various NF's are up to that hinder those American jobs and multiple using our resources...

Last edited:

Your bullshit line is better onpoint. I'm going to use it next time Buzz starts making up stuff concerning SMZ's. ;)

Sytes simply does not want the issue clouded by facts.

Not sure how whether a person believes that environmental organizations have become too inflexible and polarizing or not is a "fact". Some may believe yes, some may believe no, but in no case are these opinions in themselves facts - just opinions and preferences resting on a whole lot of an individual's worldview.

In no particular order of importance:

1. Lack of engagement by hunters
2. Differential pricing systems that make hunting less attainable
3. Declining participation which threatens the very concept of the North American model
4. Declining access to private lands
5. Increased competition for public lands
6. Increased tribalism between hunters and non hunters
7. Habitat loss
8. Lack of funding for habitat restoration
9. Resistance to common ground solutions to habitat issues
10. All of the above

Sytes: You were claiming hunting groups had the "not in my country" attitude. I would not consider EarthJustice or the Sierra Club as "hunting conservation groups."

Like I said, I am not aware of any "hunting conservation groups" opposed to all energy development, but more so just to specific projects. Part of the reason I support groups like BHA and TU is due to their advocacy for protecting special places like the Boundary Waters from energy development

Not so much as to what issues face hunting, but pertaining to issues on HT - trying to figure out just what the hell Sytes is ever talking about.
larry.jpg
Come on, Sytes, laugh with me.

Last edited:
Sytes: You were claiming hunting groups had the "not in my country" attitude. I would not consider EarthJustice or the Sierra Club as "hunting conservation groups."

Like I said, I am not aware of any "hunting conservation groups" opposed to all energy development, but more so just to specific projects. Part of the reason I support groups like BHA and TU is due to their advocacy for protecting special places like the Boundary Waters from energy development
Do remember, these are my opinions on topics I believe are "Issues Facing Hunting". No problem if you agree, disagree, etc... If you find your time valued to the point of focused intent on my opinion, cheers to you. It is OKAY to share our perspective... Even in the wake of members such as Buzz and his other vocal minions, such as Onpoint. The world of forum internet posting. :)

Here is my EXACT comment:
1. Politics.
2. Partisan division of hunters.
3. Enviro hunt organizations partisan play dividing hunters .
4. T.V. hunting personalities dividing hunters over politics.

Overall, the biggest issue is the directional use of partisan power plays that demand hunters to jump in one of the two partisan trenches. Those who seek dialogue and cooperative collaboration / stewardship to keep public lands public while respecting "Multi Use" to promote domestic extraction American family jobs, etc... over, "Not in my country" mentality - all or nothing partisan pandering.

Then to ADD to the content shared to clarify what I meant by "Not in my country" type mentaility... I shared the following:

This is merely a response to Northwoods Labs comment directed specifically towards myself.
We are all permitted to share our opinions, perspectives and positions, not "facts" as some nitpickers would manipulate and proclaim. This brief disclaimer is not addressed to the vast majority of HT'ers including Northwoods Labs. This brief opening statement is addressed to a few vocal people opposed to opinions that differ from their own referred to as, nitpickers.

Northwoods Labs,

I should have expanded on my opinion regarding, "not in my country". This is a constant due to the all or nothing mentality within environmental groups (generalized as I'm sure this does not include all...).

There is, again in my opinion, (not stating fact) such a hard push against domestic extraction of minerals valuable to the U.S. development of products and American family employment that if the ground is shifted, it is an environmental impact upon the land and thus, must not be.

This entrenched setting makes many of us who value domestic extraction and American jobs as well as these American's that value our outdoors, we put our hands in the air and say, wtf???

With any extraction there will be "environmental" changes... Be it a flower that will no longer grow or a lizard that may cease to be... In that area, (not extinction). There has the be a reasonable level of acceptance for temporary adjustment to the "environment" for the U.S. to extract minerals ourselves.

Reclamation, restoring our land once an x year operation completes... To many of us that refuse to join the entrenched warfare, we would better see "Multi Use" actually utilized. We would like to see more of the successful collaboration / stewardship programs implemented. We want safe operations. Safe to the environment as well as the American families supported by the employment opportunities that open because of the mineral extraction operations.

With that, an example as shared by Randy (Big Fin), the Stillwater Agreement. It brought great employment opportunities to the community in exchange for tighter than current laws regarding environmental impacts caused by the operation. This is what the "Can't we all just get along" (our wise, Dr. Baton King quote) crowd values. :)

To identify organizations that present the fight at all costs against domestic extraction, I've added a few quotes from certain groups.

https://earthjustice.org/climate-and-energy/oil-gas-drilling/infrastructure

<Insert info not avail via quote>

https://www.sierraclub.org/policy/energy/fracking

<Insert info not avail via quote>

I could continue to quote environmental groups though I believe this presents a response to your comment about my opinion.

Many support countering the loophole used by coal companies to reduce royalties paid to US, in no way are we opposed to regulations meant to protect our lands. However, the entrenched fight is not conducive to the value collaboration and stewardship, the Good Neighbor Agreements, etc. We want American jobs for our workers to support our families. We want renewable resources to support our future. We want mining of the materials required to manufacture the battery blocks necessary to store many forms of the renewable energies.
We are not entrenched. We seek compromise.

And for humor sake, "we" may equal myself and one other person in America. Though from those I speak with it may be one or two more than that... :D

BTW, I believe my comment about enviro hunt organizations was their partisan play that assisting in that entrenchment type mentality not completely related to the "not in my country" type mentality. Though I do believe it does attribute to sme extent.

Not directed towards you, Northwoods Labs and many HT'ers here who value each sharing opinions without the personal attacks and belittling attempts:
Nitpickers, pick away. Grammer run on sentence Nazis point out the grammatically challenged, etc. I'll be your huckleberry. ;)

Onpoint, hurry up and get off my leg... the humping action is getting old. ;)

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back