Yeti GOBOX Collection

Very early season archery hunts

AtenJones

Hey all,

I'm heading out to Colorado this fall for an Archery Elk hunt - looking at Unit 54 or one in that area. Unfortunately my work schedule won't let me be out there during the second week of September, which I know is when the rut and bugling really picks up, but I've got to make the most of what I've got. So, any tips for a very early season hunt, most likely starting on opening day (last week of August last year). Also, any idea of what kind of behavior to expect - will they just be bedded in thick timber all day?

Thanks!

Will you get any time to scout prior to the hunt? I think that would be very beneficial as most bulls will still be in their summer pattern.

Yeah I don’t think you’re hurt. That first week isn’t as popular with hunters, so that’s kinda nice. That summer routine is a lot easier to pattern. The elk will be very high, most likely. Feeding above timberline and retreating to north-facing slopes to bed down in dark timber will be the routine, I’d say. Finding ambush spots on well-used trails b/w feed and bedding cover could be productive. Weather should be nice. Sounds like a good time to me! You won’t have bugles to chase, but you might find a bull who doesn’t yet have his 6th-sense antennae up and just going through the summer motions. Best of luck!

Last edited:
I've been in unit 54 quite often. Most bulls will be high in the wilderness area, feeding in the meadows at night and working back to the timber in the morning. The first few bowls get most of the pressure from local and NR hunters. The farther in bowls get pressure from outfitters. You will be hunting with a fair amount of people in that unit. Look for hard to reach bowls where elk are less pressured.

I've hunted gmu 53 lots during the first week of archery season. Found them at 7500'-10,000' Early season elk are my favorite to hunt! Be sure to have your pack-out plans ready as soon as one hits the ground so you can get it cooled down asap.

Question for those that hunt early season: How are you finding elk that early? Are you running a lot of cameras, relying on past experience in the area and checking places off, or summer scouting? I plan to be in Colorado this year and won’t be able to scout prior to season. I’m seeing a lot of other posts about pressure and outfitters in the unit I am looking at, so just trying to learn from those with more experience on how they find elk.

Last edited:
my experience the last few years is I go in and hunt it, the areas i've had the best luck in early season have plenty of watering holes and plenty of north slope dark timber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back