No. It appears juvenile ... like some kind of fraternity/sorority hazing or “pledge week” activity.

Give the new successful hunter a great big heartfelt congratulations.

Actually it dates back to St. Hubert (Saint of hunters). They made crosses on the forehead and both cheeks.

Last edited:
I don't nor do I personally know anyone who does.

When I look at pics where people have smeared blood over themselves I don't have to wonder as much why anti hunters hate us so much. Looks distasteful to someone that is already uneasy. It often ends up as the pic used on the news anytime there is a negative hunting story doing the rounds.

Ours is a pat on the back, hand shake and congratulations. Though our main thing is that the hunter always has to be the first to touch his animal, always been a powerful thing in my family to be the first to lay your hands on a wild animal.

Edit: didn't mean for this to be offensive but reading it over probably comes across that way. One of the many problems of not being face to face.

Last edited:
We have always done a cross on the forehead for first kill. I am not at all concerned that cross on the forehead in blood is going to be the spark that ignites the great war.

Makes since didn't think of it that way. Pulled pic because of this.

Last edited:
In my family we often do but it's usually a small smear on the forehead with the thumb, not a paint job.

None of the anointed go about showing off the mark or the game to the public, just a family matter usually. Whether or not it's juvenile (?) or distasteful is overshadowed by a sense of tradition.

Each to his own I suppose.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back