Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

    Question Colorado's Bizarre Bear Seasons

    Have any HuntTakers been involved with the CO bear season rules or have some insight? Seems like CPAW is creating the most ridiculously complicated and unnecessary system ever to deal with bears. Clearly bears in lots of units are over objectives, in many units you can get two tags per year and essentially hunt for 3 months. I'm just wondering why they came up with this whole concurrent season system. Why not just Early and Late season bear and make it open for the entire month instead of isolated weeks and make them independent tags. Is it simply they are worried that guys would poach deer-elk in off weekends and then use bear hunting as an excuse?

    Seems weird as all the other western states just let you buy a bear tag independently of your deer/elk tags.

    I feel like if you have to create an info-graphic because you fielding tons of calls from confused people you need to revisit your season system.

    Name:  bear1.JPG
Views: 436
Size:  62.5 KB

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    917

    Default

    Good question. Took me a lot of reading to understand!

  3. Default

    It is about controlling Crowding. They do not want the bear hunters adding to the crowding issue. Instead they want a system where the original bear license can be controlled. We also do not want "unlimited" bear tags. Going completely unlimited would give the anti hunters in the state a great lawsuit. Bears are a very tricky issue in Colorado...

  4. #4

    Default

    It's a complicated dance to manage the bear population and also appease the TMD (too much disney) crowd here in CO. You can scribble an idea onto a bar napkin and get a ballot initiative here, and that's just what happened in 1992 when they banned baiting and dogs while bear hunting. The population/voting centers have only grown less favorable to hunting since then, and CPW is stuck in the middle. There are a pile of bears here and sooner or later someone will get injured and the issue will burn brighter. It's unfortunate but I think that's what it will take. The rules change each year as the CPW continues to dance. The good news is, if you pay attention to detail, you can get several tags. Just don't assume last year's rules apply.
    There is no such thing as bad weather. There is only improper equipment.

    www.davesstories.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Colorado is quickly turning into California Light... different taste, same bat shit crazy

  6. #6

    Default

    My Colorado bear issue was not complicated a sorta mixed blessing kind of day. I was undecided on buying a bear tag and I didn't buy the tag. Then on the third day of hunting while glassing some oak brush in a very steep canyon about 400 yards below me a very large 350 pound plus blonde bear steps out in a picture perfect location and I didn't have the tag. Anyway, I move on and glass the next drainage and find 20 cows and calves and a few spike bulls bedded. Just couldn't pull a legal bull out of the herd. Decide to head back and stop and glass the drainage where I saw the bear earlier and there was a nice 5X5 feeding not far from where the bear was earlier in the day. I shot him so it was a day to remember. The friend I was with got radio contact to our camp over the ridge and while we were quartering the bull I hear over the radio the excitement from the camp over and over Bull Down, Bull Down, Bull Down!

  7. #7

    Default

    Nothing has really changed this year. I think they just field a lot of questions about the bear regulations, which are not quite as complicated as that flowchart makes them seem. Essentially you can hunt bears in the same season for which you have a valid deer or elk license. It's a crowding issue, but it's primarily to keep people from party hunting deer and elk. Same reason they won't let you hunt coyotes or other small game with a centerfire over .23 during big game season.
    Every day I'm hustlin'....

    Hell is coming to breakfast.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elks View Post
    It is about controlling Crowding. They do not want the bear hunters adding to the crowding issue. Instead they want a system where the original bear license can be controlled. We also do not want "unlimited" bear tags. Going completely unlimited would give the anti hunters in the state a great lawsuit. Bears are a very tricky issue in Colorado...
    I really don't see how having a Sept 2-30 Early bear Season (A Tag) and then an Oct. 13- Nov. 18 Late Season (B Tag) would make crowding, control, or anti hunters more of an issue than they already are... it would just simplify things. I get why they don't want a statewide OTC unlimited tag, but CPAW could save everyone including their wardens a ton of time and energy.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oak View Post
    It's a crowding issue, but it's primarily to keep people from party hunting deer and elk. Same reason they won't let you hunt coyotes or other small game with a centerfire over .23 during big game season.
    Ahhh so what you're saying is we need to bring back the spring bear season, I totally agree

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wllm1313 View Post
    Ahhh so what you're saying is we need to bring back the spring bear season, I totally agree
    Not a bad idea, but I think hunters should seriously consider whether it's worth kicking the hornet nest before they undertake legislation like that.
    Every day I'm hustlin'....

    Hell is coming to breakfast.

  11. #11

    Default

    Sadly that ship has sailed, we should count ourselves lucky we haven't lost lion season.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Coloado Springs
    Posts
    2,065

    Default

    I can't really complain about it too much. Last year was the first year I contemplated a bear tag. When I was at the CPW office buying my bull tag they were falling all over themselves encouraging me to do it when I told them I was thinking about it. Explained the expanded season (versus the deer and elk tags I had) and sold me on it. Had a nice chocolate bear walk right out in front of me and BAMMM.....I have a rug in the making
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Never apologize for being a Patriot!"

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Pueblo West, Colorado
    Posts
    735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davinski View Post
    You can scribble an idea onto a bar napkin and get a ballot initiative here, and that's just what happened in 1992 when they banned baiting and dogs while bear hunting.
    I think that rule about ballot initiatives was changed within the last couple years...

  14. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davinski View Post
    IYou can scribble an idea onto a bar napkin and get a ballot initiative here, and that's just what happened in 1992 when they banned baiting and dogs while bear hunting. .
    Quote Originally Posted by LuketheDog View Post
    I think that rule about ballot initiatives was changed within the last couple years...
    Yes, Amendment 71 in 2016. One of the best things to happen to this state and has saved us hunters and many other groups from a lot of BS in the future. Ironic that we used the laws that made it so easy to change the constitution to change the constitution so it's harder to change the constitution.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Pueblo West, Colorado
    Posts
    735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TOGIEGOAT View Post
    Yes, Amendment 71 in 2016. One of the best things to happen to this state and has saved us hunters and many other groups from a lot of BS in the future. Ironic that we used the laws that made it so easy to change the constitution to change the constitution so it's harder to change the constitution.
    Yup, that was a big win! Too bad it happened after the bear hunting and trapping laws were changed...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    West Slope, CO
    Posts
    4,469

    Default

    Spring bear would be cool....but it won't make those nasty things taste any better.

    I've tried bear meat prepared in many different ways. They were all bad.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Spring bear would be cool....but it won't make those nasty things taste any better.

    I've tried bear meat prepared in many different ways. They were all bad.
    Sounds like you need to hang out with better cooks.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    West Slope, CO
    Posts
    4,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wllm1313 View Post
    Sounds like you need to hang out with better cooks.
    So you'e saying that if I shoot a bear, you'll take the meat?

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    So you'e saying that if I shoot a bear, you'll take the meat?
    If you shoot a bear give me a call and I will help you pack it out and then show you how to cook it

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •