Caribou Gear Tarp

Colorado's Bizarre Bear Seasons

AvidIndoorsman

Have any HuntTakers been involved with the CO bear season rules or have some insight? Seems like CPAW is creating the most ridiculously complicated and unnecessary system ever to deal with bears. Clearly bears in lots of units are over objectives, in many units you can get two tags per year and essentially hunt for 3 months. I'm just wondering why they came up with this whole concurrent season system. Why not just Early and Late season bear and make it open for the entire month instead of isolated weeks and make them independent tags. Is it simply they are worried that guys would poach deer-elk in off weekends and then use bear hunting as an excuse?

Seems weird as all the other western states just let you buy a bear tag independently of your deer/elk tags.

I feel like if you have to create an info-graphic because you fielding tons of calls from confused people you need to revisit your season system.

bear1.JPG

It is about controlling Crowding. They do not want the bear hunters adding to the crowding issue. Instead they want a system where the original bear license can be controlled. We also do not want "unlimited" bear tags. Going completely unlimited would give the anti hunters in the state a great lawsuit. Bears are a very tricky issue in Colorado...

It's a complicated dance to manage the bear population and also appease the TMD (too much disney) crowd here in CO. You can scribble an idea onto a bar napkin and get a ballot initiative here, and that's just what happened in 1992 when they banned baiting and dogs while bear hunting. The population/voting centers have only grown less favorable to hunting since then, and CPW is stuck in the middle. There are a pile of bears here and sooner or later someone will get injured and the issue will burn brighter. It's unfortunate but I think that's what it will take. The rules change each year as the CPW continues to dance. The good news is, if you pay attention to detail, you can get several tags. Just don't assume last year's rules apply.

My Colorado bear issue was not complicated a sorta mixed blessing kind of day. I was undecided on buying a bear tag and I didn't buy the tag. Then on the third day of hunting while glassing some oak brush in a very steep canyon about 400 yards below me a very large 350 pound plus blonde bear steps out in a picture perfect location and I didn't have the tag. Anyway, I move on and glass the next drainage and find 20 cows and calves and a few spike bulls bedded. Just couldn't pull a legal bull out of the herd. Decide to head back and stop and glass the drainage where I saw the bear earlier and there was a nice 5X5 feeding not far from where the bear was earlier in the day. I shot him so it was a day to remember. The friend I was with got radio contact to our camp over the ridge and while we were quartering the bull I hear over the radio the excitement from the camp over and over Bull Down, Bull Down, Bull Down!

Nothing has really changed this year. I think they just field a lot of questions about the bear regulations, which are not quite as complicated as that flowchart makes them seem. Essentially you can hunt bears in the same season for which you have a valid deer or elk license. It's a crowding issue, but it's primarily to keep people from party hunting deer and elk. Same reason they won't let you hunt coyotes or other small game with a centerfire over .23 during big game season.

It is about controlling Crowding. They do not want the bear hunters adding to the crowding issue. Instead they want a system where the original bear license can be controlled. We also do not want "unlimited" bear tags. Going completely unlimited would give the anti hunters in the state a great lawsuit. Bears are a very tricky issue in Colorado...

I really don't see how having a Sept 2-30 Early bear Season (A Tag) and then an Oct. 13- Nov. 18 Late Season (B Tag) would make crowding, control, or anti hunters more of an issue than they already are... it would just simplify things. I get why they don't want a statewide OTC unlimited tag, but CPAW could save everyone including their wardens a ton of time and energy.

It's a crowding issue, but it's primarily to keep people from party hunting deer and elk. Same reason they won't let you hunt coyotes or other small game with a centerfire over .23 during big game season.

Ahhh so what you're saying is we need to bring back the spring bear season, I totally agree :cool:

Ahhh so what you're saying is we need to bring back the spring bear season, I totally agree :cool:

Not a bad idea, but I think hunters should seriously consider whether it's worth kicking the hornet nest before they undertake legislation like that.

I can't really complain about it too much. Last year was the first year I contemplated a bear tag. When I was at the CPW office buying my bull tag they were falling all over themselves encouraging me to do it when I told them I was thinking about it. Explained the expanded season (versus the deer and elk tags I had) and sold me on it. Had a nice chocolate bear walk right out in front of me and BAMMM.....I have a rug in the making :)

Attachments

• 287_1508984913227.jpg
    287_1508984913227.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 370
You can scribble an idea onto a bar napkin and get a ballot initiative here, and that's just what happened in 1992 when they banned baiting and dogs while bear hunting.

I think that rule about ballot initiatives was changed within the last couple years...

IYou can scribble an idea onto a bar napkin and get a ballot initiative here, and that's just what happened in 1992 when they banned baiting and dogs while bear hunting. .

I think that rule about ballot initiatives was changed within the last couple years...

Yes, Amendment 71 in 2016. One of the best things to happen to this state and has saved us hunters and many other groups from a lot of BS in the future. Ironic that we used the laws that made it so easy to change the constitution to change the constitution so it's harder to change the constitution.

Yes, Amendment 71 in 2016. One of the best things to happen to this state and has saved us hunters and many other groups from a lot of BS in the future. Ironic that we used the laws that made it so easy to change the constitution to change the constitution so it's harder to change the constitution.

Yup, that was a big win! Too bad it happened after the bear hunting and trapping laws were changed...

Spring bear would be cool....but it won't make those nasty things taste any better.

I've tried bear meat prepared in many different ways. They were all bad.

Spring bear would be cool....but it won't make those nasty things taste any better.

I've tried bear meat prepared in many different ways. They were all bad.

Sounds like you need to hang out with better cooks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back