1. Default The book "Elk Hunting Montana" by Jack Ballard

Hey guys, this book was published in 2007. Is most of the info still relevant due to wolves, wildfires etc? I am basing most of my decisions on it and the Montana Hunt Planner. Any feedback is appreciated.
    Best
    Josh

A lot has changed since 07 .

Pretty good book to get you started. I think some of that book has remained pretty relevant as well. Particularly what he says about the Castle mountains. I found it to be helpful. You are probably on the best forum out there to gain valuable up to date information about Elk. Lots to read.
    When I die, spread me over the Mission mountains so I can watch the Sunset over Flathead for eternity!

4. Default

Thanks for the input. Keep it coming!

Ballard basically wrote that book from his personal experience, a road map, and the elk management plan. FWIW.

I think all in all, it’s a pretty decent book though. Mostly still relevant today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo and Ned
    Thin out their numbers

Never read the book, but heard about it once. It was the last day of elk season 2015, after dark, my first time being skunked on elk in MT since 1993. I'd made it to a USFS trail and was hiking out, with several miles still to go. I could see 2 headlamps coming and could tell it was a guy and girl, snowshoeing. I was going to jump out and scare the shit out of them, but then thought that might be a good way to get pepper sprayed or shot. Anyhow, met a couple nice folks who'd moved to MT from Maine. We walked out together and chit chatted. The guy asked me how I ended up hunting elk there and I just said trial and error. He said he had taken an elk there the year before. A very old, big antlered 5 point. I asked how he found that place and what made him decide to hunt there, as I rarely see any hunters in there. He referenced that book, and said it had all the right ingredients based on the recommendations. I'd like to read it, as it must have some decent info.

It’s my go to guide for elk in Montana. He is a good writer and good gentleman. I’ve own my copy since 2008 and have used it to locate several productive areas for elk in the rifle seasons.
    Kalispell Montana home to 75% genuinely good individuals, controlled by 25% of the most arrogant people you will ever meet.

owned a copy for several years. always read through it before I head out for our hunt.

Holy cow! $140 on Amazon, and unavailable on the author’s website. I’m planning on hunting MT for the first time this year, is it worth $140?

Thanks,
    Ben

10. Default

I've got a copy that could be passed around for guys to read if they want it. I'll just ask you pay for shipping and pass it to the next guy that wants it. Pm me if your interested.

Thanks! That would be awesome! I’ll shoot you a pm.

-Ben

12. Default

Thanks, guys. I'll loan mine out once I figure out where I'm going.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Nicholson View Post
    Holy cow! $140 on Amazon, and unavailable on the author’s website. I’m planning on hunting MT for the first time this year, is it worth $140?

Thanks,
    Ben
    Yes sale ya mine for $100 hahaha

Wow I think I paid 15 bucks for my copy. It's a good book no doubt, but for $140 no.
    When I die, spread me over the Mission mountains so I can watch the Sunset over Flathead for eternity!

hobbes Guest

I've rented it from the local library a couple times and read it completely through the first time I rented just after moving here to MT. I thought it had some useful information in it considering I knew very little about the different areas of MT. I would guess that the areas that have been hit hardest by wolves are a little different than described in the book. I don't think I'd pay $140 for it.

16. Default

Like I said, Ballard used his own personal knowledge for some of the book. The rest he spoke to bios and went off the herd studies from the EMP. That’s just a guess, but I noticed a lot of his data matched up pretty well to the biological data from the EMP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo and Ned
    Thin out their numbers

I've read it, good book, I would say still relevant.

Blog Entries

I have it, didn't know I was sitting on a gold mine. Let the bidding begin...

...or If you want to borrow it, just pay the shipping.
    "There are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm." ~TR

"He was a mighty hunter before the Lord." ~Genesis 10:9