MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Badlands vs Mystery Ranch

SDS14

Hello fellow hunters,

I am currently in the market for a day pack that can haul meat. I am stuck between Badlands 2200 (http://www.badlandspacks.com/gear/packs/badlands-2200-hunting-pack) or Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28 (http://www.mysteryranch.com/pop-up-28-pack) . I saw both at a trade show and like them both a lot. I am hoping I can get some insight from you guys on both these packs and brands. I would also like to hear any other day/meat hauler packs that you guys use in the $300 range that I have overlooked.

Thanks for your help.

-SDS14

Between the two, the MR hands down over a badlands Check out black ovis they are closing out MR packs in multicam. You can get a MR cabinet for like 330 which would be way more versatile. Keep an eye on Craigslist too, used packs are a great way to go. Brands to look for are stone glacier, kuiu, kifaru, and seek outside. The pack at the top of my list is the seek outside peregrine, a little bigger than what you are looking for but close and about 1.5 pounds lighter.

Badlands doesn’t hold a candle to MR. I don’t know a single serious hunter that carries a Badlands pack. I’d guess the first serious meat haul in Badlands makes most look elsewhere. At least, that’s what happens to me.

Camofire has MR on there now. The scape goat 25 may do the job at 169.99 there is 35 on there too.

I have a BL 2200 that I used to use for hauling meat and it sucked. I bought a used MR Crew Cab from a guy on here and have never looked back. They can be a little pricey but they are worth every penny. As others have mentioned if you are patient you can find a good deal.

The MR pop ups are getting high priase. I have a pintler and metcalf on the guide light frame, the are excellent load haulers.
I haven’t seen a badlands anything that can compare quality and performance wise to a MR

Hello fellow hunters,

I am currently in the market for a day pack that can haul meat. I am stuck between Badlands 2200 (http://www.badlandspacks.com/gear/packs/badlands-2200-hunting-pack) or Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28 (http://www.mysteryranch.com/pop-up-28-pack) . I saw both at a trade show and like them both a lot. I am hoping I can get some insight from you guys on both these packs and brands. I would also like to hear any other day/meat hauler packs that you guys use in the $300 range that I have overlooked.

Thanks for your help.

-SDS14

The 2200's load sling in the worst possible location (outside bottom of the pack) causing gravity to have a lot of leverage over you. I sold Bandlands packs for a while and a few of them are ok, but for the most part every single one has some major design flaws. Mystery Ranch packs are much better desinged. Today Camofire.com is clearancing out a couple Mystery Ranch packs at increadible prices.

Exo 2000.

Where did he ask about Exo?

The 2200's load sling in the worst possible location (outside bottom of the pack) causing gravity to have a lot of leverage over you. I sold Bandlands packs for a while and a few of them are ok, but for the most part every single one has some major design flaws. Mystery Ranch packs are much better desinged. Today Camofire.com is clearancing out a couple Mystery Ranch packs at increadible prices.

Where did he ask about Exo?

I have Badland products for light multi day, Summit and 1-3 day 2800 packs, bino case, and some clothing... I believe Badlands has one of the top guarantees within the outdoor market and I would venture to say in the retail market as a whole! When they proudly promote to buy a Badlands pack from a garage sale and you are still 100% covered for any issues that occur whatsoever... well, DROP THE MIC! ;)

I would recommend the 2800 over the 2200 though to each his or her own.

Utahminer, even though SDS14 has a select interest within the 2200 or the Pop Up 28 - the HT community often shares various options. Prime example - this is from the thread titled "Sidearm caliber in bear country" Notice no mention of OC spray for bears within his OP... ;)

Me and a friend are planning a Alaska Moose this year. I was reading in the regulations packet AK game & fish sent me and it said that a .44 Magnum pistol might be inadequate for Brown Bears. What size would you guys recommend?

I have a 2200 as a day pack it's fine, if it fits you and your not carrying a ton. I hauled meat with it one time. First load was a bone in front elk quarter. Pack was almost empty so I was able to get the weight close to my body. Not bad over a mile and half. Second load was loose meat, back straps, neck meat and scraps. Was quite a lot from a mature bull and that straight up sucked.

I am interested to start seeing real world reviews of the MR pop up. I was going to get a MR Pintler but not so sure right now.

I've got a BL 2200 and love it. Packed out an elk front and hind quarter at the same time as well as multiple deer and it felt good and performed great. I've never used a MR so can't speak to comparison but the 2200 felt a whole lot better than my army rucksacks ever did.

There is a kuiu icon pro 3200 for sale on here right now, I’d snatch it up if it fits.

FWIW - if you are only packing antelope or deer and you want to go less expensive, go all the way down and get an ALPS OutdoorsZ Traverse EPS for half the price of the BL, but if you want something to last a long time and/or elk or moose are on the table then definitely go MR Metcalf or EXO 5500. At $280 BL seems like a tweener -- not nearly as good as MR or EXO, but not twice as good as ALPS.

Badlands doesn’t hold a candle to MR. I don’t know a single serious hunter that carries a Badlands pack. I’d guess the first serious meat haul in Badlands makes most look elsewhere. At least, that’s what happens to me.

Same here, one time hauling meat with the a badlands 2200 years ago = MR Metcalf purchase

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back