Anyone shoot a single shot out there?

My boys both got started with a H&R in 357 Mag. I was a skeptic at first, but that little thing has been poison on deer. It has a semi-heavy barrel and a red dot scope. Kicks very little and the scope allows easy target acquisition. The boys love to shoot it.

I really wish I hadn't have missed out on the Browning high wall is 260 Rem. If I ever fall into a pile a money, I will have a Dakota 10 or a Hagn. Probably in some sort of rimmed 6.5 chambering.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you, when hunting big game with a centerfire singleshot have lost or passed on an animal or had a tag go unfilled for lack of using a repeating rifle?

I get strange looks from folks at times because of the rifles I choose, but I can't say that my rifle selection as ever cost me an opportunity. Not once.

I have a 20g rifled barrel,.243,7mm-08, 7mm mag and 300 win mag barrels. My 243 and 7mm-08 shoot sub moa easy, my 20g shoots 2" groups at 100 yds and i have not shot the 7mm or 300 yet. Most of the barrels that I have had were real shooters. I had a 22-250 that shot 1/2 moa easily with the right ammo. They can be finicky, but once dialed in they are a ton of fun to shoot. I use a thumbhole stock and it is very comfortable to shoot.

I also love that massive Quigley Sharps in 45-110. I'll bet it is awesome to shoot.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you, when hunting big game with a centerfire singleshot have lost or passed on an animal or had a tag go unfilled for lack of using a repeating rifle?

I get strange looks from folks at times because of the rifles I choose, but I can't say that my rifle selection as ever cost me an opportunity. Not once.

I did, but it involved hunting alone, at night, with a spotlight mounted on my scope, and a big sounder of hogs. I was having trouble digging more ammo out of my pockets and reloading in the dark.

BrentD

I have passed on several whitetail, not because of a shot, because they were not what I was looking for. Most times I watch them for a while through the scope to get a good look at them. I killed a real nice 8 point 2 years ago that I watched as he covered a 300 yd field. I shot him at about 25 yds. I have not missed an opportunity to harvest a deer due to my rifle. Like I said it has made me a more patient and my shot placement more precise.

The #1's and forethought work as effectively as any of my bolts. Sounders get an application of AR.....

I love my #1 in .338.

amNxHbl.jpg

I have never found the single shot to be a hindrance in any fashion.

Ruger #1 in 9.3x74R. I've refinished the stock and changed the scope out to a VX3i 1.5x5. Shoots well under and inch with 250's & 286's.
NEver felt undergunned with it.

ruger1.jpg

Guild made Drilling with what is likely a Sauer based boxlock (Shotgun bbls are 16 gauge, rifle barrel is 8x57IR). Shoots about minute of deer at 100 yards. It's technically a single shot rifle, right? Passed on some forky muley bucks in 2016 with it, still hasn't been blooded.

8mmdrilling1.jpg

Shiloh Sharps in 50-70 Shiloh Sharps (Straight walled). Have had it shooting around 3/8's inch at 100 yards but dealing with some brass issues related to extraction now. Fun gun with both black powder and smokeless. It weighs about 16 pounds, so not really a stalking rifle. Might try for deer from a blind with it though.

9592585422_8492e9dac0_z.jpg

Ben, that scope looks like it might function best at high noon. Light transmission might be a teeny tiny bit less than today's high fluorine multicoated glass models of the best makers.

Well worn youtube...Gus's CDS;

[video=youtube;W7EivcfYOZI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7EivcfYOZI[/video]

It's a Leatherwood William Malcolm 6x reproduction. By no means on par with even a VX3i, but it's a surprisngly god scope with decent clarity and field of view.

If the leatherwood won't work, any of these probably will

http://montanavintagearms.com/scopes/

Indeed, most people badly underestimate what some of the vintage singleshots can do with vintage ammo and vintage sights. that holds for both traditional muzzleloaders and cartridge rifles - even with iron sights.

TC Encore Pro Hunter in .270. TC Encore pistol in .30 Herrett. CVA single shot 20 ga.
I have never passed on a shot because I only had one. A clean shot is a clean shot. Wouldn't matter how many shots I had.

If the leatherwood won't work, any of these probably will

http://montanavintagearms.com/scopes/

Indeed, most people badly underestimate what some of the vintage singleshots can do with vintage ammo and vintage sights. that holds for both traditional muzzleloaders and cartridge rifles - even with iron sights.

Those look lovely. I have bases for my 32-40 Scheutzen (Ballard) and those may fit the bill. Although getting rid of the Vernier site seems silly :)

Why get rid of the vernier? Certainly, I use them in the field for hunting.

There are other vintage scope options out there. They can be very expensive, but different types of sight adjustments are useful for different types of applications. For instance, there are two types of mounts that can be ordered for their B5 scopes. The more expensive version is intended for competitions - which is how I use mine, but the less expensive version may be better for many hunting applications.

MVA has two new scopes out this year that are not on their website. One is 8x and the other is 10x. Both slated for competitive shooters, generally speaking. Dan Zimmeran's scope is similarly about 10x, as I recall, and also a competition-intended scope.

Of course there are all kinds of antique scopes one can buy on the used market a well. Feckers, Unertls, Lyman STS and 5A, Winchester, etc. The old scopes are almost as cool as the old rifles and they are a lot of fun to collect, restore, and use.

Here is a low wall and Unertl Small Game Scope. This scope works perfectly on ANY hunting rifle. regardless of caliber, despite it's name.

Lowwall%20and%20Squirrels%20Nov%202015%20B%20small.jpg

Last edited:
Rimfire on the low-wall? Fantastic setup and a lovely piece of walnut!

I have a Winder Musket in about 90%+ condition that is a hoot to shoot. Full military set-up with the flaming bomb, etc. I don't think I've shot in 3-5 years though.

Yes, it's a rimfire - a very atypical one for sure.

I'm passionate about single shots and especially Winchesters.

Here are a few with different types of sights on them. One thing that is great about these old rifles, sights, and scopes is that they can be dressed up or down for any application - sort of like Barbie dolls for bulletheads. Only takes a few minutes to go from a full blown Schuetzen rifle, to a silhouette rifle, to a squirrel rifle. What can I say? There really isn't much need for multishooters.

Winchesters%201.jpg

Ruger 1B in 30-06

Ruger 1B in 6mm Remington

I love both of those rifles and have NEVER EVER felt handicapped packing them when hunting game. They both are elegant and beautiful and shoot very very well. I'd never part with either one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back