Caribou Gear Tarp

Disappointed with Jim Shockey

dying4publicland

Last night Jim Shockey posted a picture on social media. In that picture he was seated with several political figures. One of which was Greg Hughes, a state Representative from Utah.

In the comments portion Jim stated that:

"I Support Greg Hughes, seated on my right, a fellow hunter and politician. In his absolutely vital conservation work as Utah Speaker of the House(and likely next Governor of Utah). Again, in spite of his position of power and influence, Greg is one of us hunters and we must support him, protect him and ensure he does become the next Governor."

Greg Hughes is a major supporter in the fight to transfer public lands. Reference- http://greghughes.com/issues/public-lands/

I commented that despite Jim's calls for unity in the hunting community I cannot get behind an individual with ethics like Mr. Hughes. Jim responded that Greg Hughes is a champion of conservation because he has funded $3million towards coyote management. He also stated we need to set aside our "differences on the issues" and unite as a hunting community.

I have a real problem with this. We have an "elder statesman" of the hunting community endorsing a major land transfer advocate. Additionally he is calling for all hunters to unify under this leadership. I guess I'm not a hunter conservationist because I don't blindly follow people that don't align with my views?

I reached out to some of the sponsors of Shockey and they responded by saying "We might not agree with Jim but he has done a lot for hunting and conservation."

So my question to the forum is "Where is the line?" Is the public land debate not debatable anymore?

Jim Shockey has done a lot for hunters, no doubt about it. I certainly don't hate the guy either, he delivers great advocacy. Had he posted the same comments about PETA or Humane Society, seated with members of those groups, the hunting world would go into level ten thousand meltdown. He would loose endorsements and a fan base. Remember Jim Zumbo?

When does endorsing the land transfer people get the same fallout as endorsing other hunting threats?

Thanks in advance!

Excellent post and topic. I agree we need to “set aside our differences” on some issues, like rifle vs. bow and some of the othere unimportant things that seem divide us, but access to public lands is so central to our existence as hunters I don’t see how we can overlook someone’s support of transfer. People support politicians for a lot of reasons, and Jim Shockey has been a good ambassador for hunting, but I can’t go with him on this. Anyone who supports transfer of our public lands is not a friend of hunting, no matter how many coyotes he has eliminated.

Talk about shooting holes in the bottom of the boat. I'd prefer to boot them both the hell outta the boat. He also just posted one with the 'Nuge, to which I had to comment asking why he was hanging out with the most famous poacher in the America?

Maybe Big Jim has spent a little too much time up North eh'. Tearing up the Yukon landscapes in his Argo. And hard pressed for "friends" when he comes out and visits the Lower 48?

Shockey could careless about our public lands, I fact he would not blink an eye if they all became conscessions that he could bid on. He is a pompous ass.

I don't know much about him really although I do know when he was in aus he pretty much hunted exclusively managed private land.

On a side note he wanted to get a "world record" hog deer with a muzzleloader, I think because it's a pretty much vacant niche in the australia sci books, partially because we don't use sci in aus and almost no one uses muzzleloaders. The owner of one of our Aussie hunting mags tried to tee it up but couldn't find one until he spoke to me but it was too late by then. He ended up shooting one with a bow which I believe is claimed as a world record too. There's been many bigger taken with bow but records do tend to be set when you don't use the scoring system of the country you're hunting in. Not running him down just always get a laugh out of that. But I digress.

Uh. like a couple have hinted, Shockey is a Canadian businessman and personality. Why should he be concerned about public lands issues south of his border. Yeah, he's a spokesperson for the hunting community(SCI type), just not mine - never was. Not overly concerned about his positions on anything. We have bigger problems than him. Let him, Ted, and the Utah bunch have a good old time together.

Last edited:
Someone on Facebook pointed out to him that Hughes is anti public land. This was Mr. Shockey’s response.

6AD67E1E-4DCB-4ADE-838D-999F6B9FCF01.png

It’s clear he doesn’t understand the issue, and I don’t think some random person commenting on insta or Facebook will sway him. He’s in too deep for that.

Someone on Facebook pointed out to him that Hughes is anti public land. This was Mr. Shockey’s response.

View attachment 80113

It’s clear he doesn’t understand the issue, and I don’t think some random person commenting on insta or Facebook will sway him. He’s in too deep for that.

That was me who he replied to. I was surprised that he responded, it must of been because I replied right after he posted the pic. I personally think he posted this pic because the group he was with were getting pushback from public land hunters and he has enough followers that believe everything he says.

Peay and co are hunters to and wouldnt trust them to carry my mail from my box to my house...try again Jim.

That was me who he replied to. I was surprised that he responded, it must of been because I replied right after he posted the pic. I personally think he posted this pic because the group he was with were getting pushback from public land hunters and he has enough followers that believe everything he says.

Nice job, and you can say you tried. Who knows, maybe it will sink in.

Love watching Shockey's show, very well done but every episode features stuff I'll never do - being for the most part I'm a regular DIY mostly public land hunter. Any guidance or influence the Shockey types have with our politicians is that that doesn't really cater to us broke dick average guys. Odd that he thinks we all need to just grab each others asses because we go hunting. Hunters potentially losing places to hunt on public land in the lower 48 has no impact to Jim Shockey's hunting plans.

I think it goes beyond that. I honestly think that they(the shockey types) believe that monetization of hunting is a good thing, opens up opportunity for them.

Love watching Shockey's show, very well done but every episode features stuff I'll never do - being for the most part I'm a regular DIY mostly public land hunter. Any guidance or influence the Shockey types have with our politicians is that that doesn't really cater to us broke dick average guys. Odd that he thinks we all need to just grab each others asses because we go hunting. Hunters potentially losing places to hunt on public land in the lower 48 has no impact to Jim Shockey's hunting plans.

Worth reading twice.

Glad to see that I am not the only one that is frustrated. The point I was really driving at with my initial post was accountability. I am not a steadfast fan of Shockey, certainly not anticipating his next adventure show but I do see the breadth of people he does touch with his media and the impact he has. I want him held accountable. In my dream world, Jim or anybody else that makes a comment, takes a picture or replies to a post that even slightly hints at opposition to public land gets the proverbial club over the head. By that I mean they loose sponsorship.

I realize my singular efforts may not have a huge impact but at least it is action. His sponsors like Yeti and Leupold(sorry Randy) have already received emails from me expressing my displeasure. Don't get me wrong, I think those are great companies with great products but they will not receive one red cent from me while he is either on the payroll or until he changes his tune. I love the free market because it allows me to vote with each and every purchase I make(or don't make.)

Maybe I am extreme but its just that important to me.

Last edited:
The notion that one should set aside their beliefs so we can all "unite" is a weak response from these shallow celebrity types in the hunting world. Fair chase ethics and public land ownership/access are areas I don't see long term benefit by "uniting" if the compromise involves diminishing either. Good to see folks call these people out, hopefully their sponsors take note.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back