Yeti GOBOX Collection

Disappointed with Jim Shockey

"We all need to join together and not speak ill of other hunters!" Spoken by everyone who knows that they're advocating for crap, but still want your support regardless of how it would actually impact your life.

It's the standard SFW/BGF line on not wanting opposition to your idea, while stil ltrying to make out like you care about average hunters or anglers. I'm all for smash-mouth policy debates. If your idea doesn't stand up to scrutiny by like-mined people, then maybe you shouldn't be advocating for who/or what you are.

Very good point Ben. The PLT in Utah have died down greatly in the last year. The legislature is in session right now and I don't see focus on PLT. The monument correction (yes) and dialogue with Trump-Zinke have ratcheted down the discussion.

Now is time for people to participate in discussion with elected officials.

Very good point Ben. The PLT in Utah have died down greatly in the last year. The legislature is in session right now and I don't see focus on PLT. The monument correction (yes) and dialogue with Trump-Zinke have ratcheted down the discussion.

Now is time for people to participate in discussion with elected officials.

It's a changing debate. We are idiots if we don't look and see that, and adapt. It's why I've been preaching about the need to actually talk policy and look at areas where there can be agreement for a few years now. PLT is the shiny thing on the right, held out to be the goal, when in reality - politicians and think tanks and the groups that support them get the exact same kind of management regardless of who owns the land - especially with this administration.

Lots of folks have been trying to have that conversation for decades, only to be shot down by extremists on both sides. On the left, it's the serial litigants. On the right - it's politicians with extreme agendas, buoyed by the likes of Mr. Shockey's ignorant endorsement. ;)

Get a PLT politician elected, transfer public lands, open US based (Utah in this case) outfitting/guide business using an already well known name (J Shockey) on newly acquired private lands, rake in the money.

The last word of the above run-on sentence is the answer to your question.
With the CWMU program in UT, there'd be no need for the first two steps. Just write a big enough check to the right landowner.

Outside of the various internet hunting forums it is amazing how few people who are sportsman and hunters have no clue or have never even heard about the remote possibility of the transfer of public land lands. When I bring up the topic at a hunting club or when around friends they think I lost my mind or look at me like I have been drinking the coolaide or I have become some conspiracy theorist.

Not a Shockey fan but there is one point here that is being overlooked. Being Canadian, he just lost the right to Grizzly hunt on any land in BC due to a simple popular vote. I might would equate that to the 100k+ people importing into CO every year now that DONT hunt being able to do something similar in the future with any animal on a ballot. There is great value in our public lands but without hunting would it mean as much to most as it does now? Don't say for a minute it can't happen here, I'm sure the 10-15% of BC residents that bear hunt thought it couldn't happen there.

It's disappointing to see some of these things but most people don't try to educate themselves on a matter until it's too late. I'm not sure anyone is going to win him over or influence his sponsors by attaching F bombs, insults, or threats with a comment on public lands, political, or celebrity photos.

Not a Shockey fan but there is one point here that is being overlooked. Being Canadian, he just lost the right to Grizzly hunt on any land in BC due to a simple popular vote. I might would equate that to the 100k+ people importing into CO every year now that DONT hunt being able to do something similar in the future with any animal on a ballot. There is great value in our public lands but without hunting would it mean as much to most as it does now? Don't say for a minute it can't happen here, I'm sure the 10-15% of BC residents that bear hunt thought it couldn't happen there.

It's disappointing to see some of these things but most people don't try to educate themselves on a matter until it's too late. I'm not sure anyone is going to win him over or influence his sponsors by attaching F bombs, insults, or threats with a comment on public lands, political, or celebrity photos.

The ban wasn't by popular vote. It was made by the party in power who used the excuse that most citizens don't want them hunted when it's actually a bunch of antis just like ones down here in the states that were behind it.

Ballot initiatives have already curtailed hunting and trapping opportunities in WA, OR, CA, and other states so I agree that it is still a serious threat. Fin did a great job smashing the trapping ban in MT but CO may be tougher.

I think I'm gonna get anxiety with all the issues facing being a hunter/outdoorsman

The ban wasn't by popular vote. It was made by the party in power who used the excuse that most citizens don't want them hunted when it's actually a bunch of antis just like ones down here in the states that were behind it.

Just brought this up in another thread. But bans like that in Colorado are going to be facing a tough time passing after Amendment 71 passed in 2016 - making it significantly harder to pass ballot initiatives and change the constitution of the state. I couldn't be happier that Amendmen 71 passed, gonna save a lot of BS headaches in the future for outdoorsmen and many other groups.

But bans like that in Colorado are going to be facing a tough time passing after Amendment 71 passed in 2016 - making it significantly harder to pass ballot initiatives and change the constitution of the state. I couldn't be happier that Amendmen 71 passed, gonna save a lot of BS headaches in the future for outdoorsmen and many other groups.

But keep your eyes open.

I left Jim a toughly worded response on the facebook, feeling pretty good about it.

As with everything, seems there is a mass level of support for Shockey via his comments and replies to groups such as BHA. Interesting reading the various comments. As much as I would like to dismiss such, I am sure it is viewed the same from the other side of the conversation... FB, etc.

Always two sides within todays instant access media. He has built a strong following - even with Outdoor Life promoting him as: https://www.outdoorlife.com/the-legacy-of-jim-shockey
The Legacy of Modern Hunting's Most Influential Celebrity. A look at the life of the man who changed the way we think about hunting

Not sure if this will direct to the right site as my computer at work is a bit restrictive, unless for duty related intent so apologies in advance if it does not work. Some 610,000 likes to his "fan page".
Here is the link to his comments / response to groups such as BHA, etc. I believe I have the correct link. Have it on my phone though a blind shot posting from my computer.
https://www.facebook.com/JimShockeyFanPage/posts/1569047956478517

The Legacy of Modern Hunting's Most Influential Celebrity. And X numbers of likes on his facebook page.

There you have it. What really matter's in/to today's "modern hunting" world.
I 'm pretty sure most of us (hunters) have been just about zero influenced by any celebrity.
But whatever..................

I 'm pretty sure most of us (hunters) have been just about zero influenced by any celebrity.

Flat billers with Monster Muley stickers is where the money is, us old guys wearing wool pants, not so much.

This whole disappointed in this celebrity thing is, to me, a little not well thought out.
The outdoor "celebs" and "icons" world has a fairly rich history of interesting characters.
Kirt Darner, muley king.
Ted - nuff said. As well as a whole bunch of others. Simply look back into threads on this very forum about some of these characters and their shenanigans.
Hell, Zumbo - who actually spoke his mind and stood up to the establishment, recanted and sold him self out.
My dad, who never hunted in his life, had more influence on my hunting and my outlook, approach, and values regarding hunting than anybody with a recognizable mug ever did or will.
Thankful member of the wool pants crowd. And in addition, a member of the crowd that ain't afraid to get blood on Patagonia pants, either.

The Legacy of Modern Hunting's Most Influential Celebrity. And X numbers of likes on his facebook page.

There you have it. What really matter's in/to today's "modern hunting" world.
But whatever..................

Works for Randy. A valued influence on many. Celebs culture many settings... Heck, pick y'er poison... Clint Eastwood, Barbara Streisand...
Sad but true... Depending on what side, Celebs are there to provide their influence and steer what they can.

Last edited:
Everyone is familiar with the rape scene in Deliverance so I won't post a link.
Now, picture Greg Hughes as (the hunter) but instead of saying "squeal like a pig" he is whispering "trust me I'm a hunter"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back